Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
Let me burst your bubble. YES, your government spies on you, not matter which party is in power, no matter which country, even progressive Europeans ones, if not they ask US to do the dirty job on their citizens for them. It is been always the same, in the 30's in the 40's in the 50's, 60's 70's 80's and on... It's part of the way a responsible government stops mass attacks against their own citizens, criminal activities and terrorism. It's part of our life. What we, as citizens must demand is accountability and a way to avoid abuses by our leaders in using those tools.

As for Tik-Tok, the problem is that that platform is used by some guys in the Chinese Government to spread chaos, confusion and anti-democratic ideas between our young generations, it's being abused by foreign assets.
And please don't compare USA with China, we don't have Uyghur's extermination and reeducation camps. Here we are still a democracy, a wounded one if you wish, but DEMOCRACY!
Well said.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Let me burst your bubble. YES, your government spies on you, not matter which party is in power, no matter which country, even progressive Europeans ones, if not they ask US to do the dirty job on their citizens for them. It is been always the same, in the 30's in the 40's in the 50's, 60's 70's 80's and on... It's part of the way a responsible government stops mass attacks against their own citizens, criminal activities and terrorism. It's part of our life. What we, as citizens must demand is accountability and a way to avoid abuses by our leaders in using those tools.

As for Tik-Tok, the problem is that that platform is used by some guys in the Chinese Government to spread chaos, confusion and anti-democratic ideas between our young generations, it's being abused by foreign assets.
And please don't compare USA with China, we don't have Uyghur's extermination and reeducation camps. Here we are still a democracy, a wounded one if you wish, but DEMOCRACY!
Slavery, Jim Crow, Japanese American internment camps, genocide of Native Americans, genocide of Hawaiians, destabilizing/replacing foreign governments, remember Iraq? That's just the tip of the iceberg. America is soaked in blood and is morally no better than China on that front. China is also reprehensible.

StralyanPithecus

macrumors 6502
Slavery, Jim Crow, Japanese American internment camps, genocide of Native Americans, genocide of Hawaiians, destabilizing/replacing foreign governments, remember Iraq? That's just the tip of the iceberg. America is soaked in blood and is morally no better than China on that front. China is also reprehensible.
Is China a democracy? As far as I know USA is still one and we have freedom of speech. Can you say the same about China?

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Is China a democracy? As far as I know USA is still one and we have freedom of speech. Can you say the same about China?
And I wouldn't call the US a democracy, I would call it a mix of kleptocracy, plutocracy and corporatocracy. We have some features of democracy like a public voting system but the amount of change the public can actually make through that system is minimal compared to the amount of change (or lack of change) that can be effected by the wealthy and corporations.

Reactions: redbeard331

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
What has me worried is that that Democrats and Republicans are almost unanimous about wanting to ban TikTok.

Will the bill be applied to Telegram in the future?
Telegram is an equal opportunity offender. TikTok's mission is to soften the battlefield by ruining the minds of non-Chinese citizen youth.

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
How many TikTok supporters here have no problem with a foreign dictatorship collecting your personal information for possible use in influencing your opinions and votes yet are outraged at the thought of the CIA/NSA/FBI collecting the same information? Why is that not cognitive dissonance in spades?
I suspect it's a matter of degree. China's government appears unified, and tolerance for dissent very limited. By comparison, in the U.S. it seems like half the country is at (culture) war with the other half, public dissent (as long as it's legal and non-disruptive) is usually well tolerated, and the odds of a whistle blower outing abuses seems higher.

The level of control the Chinese government exerts via censorship appears well in excess of what the U.S. government does.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
So are you claiming shutting down Hamas / Palestine discussion on social media is the reason the US government has taken this position and AIPAC is ultimately behind this? What is the evidence for that assertion? What percentage of all discussions do the items on your list constitute? Perspective is important

If you check the facts, you will find the push to force divestment or sale was started more than a year before the October 7th war started.

The packaging with the aid bill is simple politics and is practiced with just about all legslation to give something legs that might not stand on its own. "I'll give you this, but you need to give me that in return."

AlbinoPigeon

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Vancouver, BC
If US lawmakers were so concerned about the misuse of social media platforms to surveille citizens, maybe they should have taken action on PRISM: NSA's program "that allows the [US] government to collect user data from companies like Microsoft, Google, Apple, Yahoo, and others."

The calls are coming from inside the house.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Well frankly speaking it seems that you are on both sides of the fence. It is not easy to understand what you are trying to say. Are you for or against the app?
I am against foreign adversaries having even the slightest opportunity to exert influence over the domestic population. As others have said, TikTok/ByteDance have demonstrated the ability and willingness to do so after displaying a screen in the app led to numerous calls to congresspeople.
1. This makes no sense. You understand that it's the US government that's trying to have it both ways here, actually, every way they can, and then some.

2. Being so insignificant that it wouldn't pass public scrutiny more like. The US gov leaks information to their media allies weekly when they think it strengthens their case.
I have no understanding what you're referring to here, so I can't respond.
So you're OK with the federal government controlling your speech?
Freedom of speech excludes inciting violence, threats against others, and encouraging illegal activity.

The danger is a foreign adversary using their platform to encourage any of those.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
I'm in general sympathetic to the idea that using social media networks being used for propaganda is something that should be prevented, but I'm still a bit uneasy about the legislature simply declaring a company a national security threat without any further justification.

The bill already establishes criteria for companies to be covered and a mechanism through which the executive must make its case to Congress as to why a company is a national security threat, including both a public report and a classified annex.

By all means let the process play out, but targeting companies explicitly in law sets a bad precedent in my view.

StralyanPithecus

macrumors 6502
I'm in general sympathetic to the idea that using social media networks being used for propaganda is something that should be prevented, but I'm still a bit uneasy about the legislature simply declaring a company a national security threat without any further justification.

The bill already establishes criteria for companies to be covered and a mechanism through which the executive must make its case to Congress as to why a company is a national security threat, including both a public report and a classified annex.

By all means let the process play out, but targeting companies explicitly in law sets a bad precedent in my view.
Agree with you, but if you read the proposed "ban" what is asking is for Tik-Tok owners (Chinese company) to get rid of it, and if they don't do it, then it will start a ban process which surely will be take long time, so plenty of outcomes still on the table before a full ban.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
Easy to find something and link to it, especially when it doesn't answer the question that was asked.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Both parties are funded by AIPAC, and they aren’t too happy with how pro-Palestine TikTok is.

Coincidentally, this TikTok ban was packaged with $26 billion in foreign aid support to Israel.

View attachment 2371416

TiKTok is being used to foster sympathy for groups of Islamist terrorists, anti-American/Western ideologues, and open borders (for America only, of course). Now we have people in America chanting "Death to America" freely in foreign languages and in English.

TikTok is a virus. It grew in popularity and anti-Americanism during lockdowns created by viruses released from China.

stars_fan

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Nut house
The fascist left along with some on the right should be ashamed of themselves. Let’s ban something we can manipulate for our benefit.

The biden regime will do anything they can to suppress information.

• Disagree

acgmph

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Around the world
Not arguing pro or against this, but just a thought: If ownership restrictions around nationality apply to “old” media, doesn’t make sense for the same restrictions to apply to “new” media too? There are more people in the US getting their news from TikTok than there are Fox News or CNN viewers (hyperbole), yet Chinese entities cannot own the majority stock of Fox News or CNN. In fact, ownership restrictions are quite common around the world. https://www.cullen-international.com/news/2022/01/Foreign-ownership-restrictions-for-TV-are-the-norm-in-the-Americas---except-Chile-.html

• Love
Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I am against foreign adversaries having even the slightest opportunity to exert influence over the domestic population. As others have said, TikTok/ByteDance have demonstrated the ability and willingness to do so after displaying a screen in the app led to numerous calls to congresspeople.
What did the screen say and what calls were they prompting people to make?

All of the TikTok opponents here act like all the content on the app is directly dictated by the Chinese government. More than anything it’s people looking to go viral with a hit dance or song or joke.

And then there is political content but that’s also not being dictated by the Chinese government, I can find plenty of anti-Chinese screeds on there.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
TiKTok is being used to foster sympathy for groups of Islamist terrorists, anti-American/Western ideologues, and open borders (for America only, of course). Now we have people in America chanting "Death to America" freely in foreign languages and in English.

TikTok is a virus. It grew in popularity and anti-Americanism during lockdowns created by viruses released from China.
This is conspiratorial nonsense. People are more than ever anti-American because they see not only our systems breaking down, but are learning exactly what this country stands for, patriarchal capitalist Christian white supremacy.

I can find content discussing this on any social network. I can also find it in academic books that study America from a critical lens. America is not worth defending.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
This is conspiratorial nonsense. People are more than ever anti-American because they see not only our systems breaking down, but are learning exactly what this country stands for, patriarchal capitalist Christian white supremacy.

I can find content discussing this on any social network. I can also find it in academic books that study America from a critical lens. America is not worth defending.
The types of cultures and nations that apps like TikTok promote are full of hatred, bigotry, homophobia and misogyny, rampant patriarchal non-white supremacists (Islamist nations are the rush lately). People are not more "anti-American than ever", these apps are simply pushing people towards these mindsets.

America, more so than nations like China, Russia, Islamist nations, is worth defending. Feel sorry for the folks who buy into the rhetoric they consume. The alternatives are not very bright and peaceful, no matter what the radicals will promise you.

Reactions: StralyanPithecus

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
TikTok is just another version of YouTube or Reels. Should those be banned as they're time-wasting too?

Netflix, Apple TV+, Disney+, HBO, etc are all time-wasting. Let's ban those too.

So... ban Truth Social, Twitter/X, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc. too?
I can see certain groups like teenage girls and twenty-somethings who would benefit from a ban like that. Many currently exist in a very poor headspace and some of these apps share some of the responsibility for that. Not that I personally want to see these apps banned, but it’s an important aspect of this to consider in addition to the hostile foreign adversary with unfettered access to your personal data thing.

StralyanPithecus

macrumors 6502

If you don’t like the US, you can move to China or Russia, maybe you will feel better there…

Reactions: DaPhox
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.