Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
@HDFan I've never used BackBlaze personally, but I've heard over the years they are a good source of drive reliability stats based on brand and model. Quite a few people have referenced their drive statistics on failure rate to help buying decisions .

Reactions: Pskordilis

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I really can't comment on any kind of paid backup services. The only thing I pay for is 200GB of iCloud drive space. For backups, I usually just do local because I don't have anything overly important that requires offsite backups. In fact, most of my stuff would probably be considered backed up in a password manager if they support storing license codes, etc.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey all, so how's everyone's backups working? I haven't heard any bad news here for a while, so I'm hoping that's a good thing. 12.2.1 came out today, and no one has reported anything. TM did a backup after my update and things are continuing to function normally here.

blackdogaudio

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2016
Hey all, so how's everyone's backups working? I haven't heard any bad news here for a while, so I'm hoping that's a good thing. 12.2.1 came out today, and no one has reported anything. TM did a backup after my update and things are continuing to function normally here.
Totally back to normal now - zero issues.

• Love
Reactions: MacinMan

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
Time Machine working perfectly well here without any exclusions or other work-arounds since 12.2.

In addition to that, I haven’t experienced the sparsebundle mount problem any more when TM sometimes seemed not too unmount the sparsebundle properly, and then failed to mount it in the next backup cycle.

Reactions: blackdogaudio

pixxelpusher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
I don't think it is fixed totally as you can't associate older backups to Monterey ones. I get these errors:

A local volume mount point and a snapshot volume path are required.

Not a snapshot volume.

Has anyone been able to continue on with their old backup? my initial OS was 10.14.6 before migrating it all to Monterey. I've never had this problem before when upgrading to newer MacBook Pros, I've always been able to continue the backup.

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
@pixxelpusher Are you using locally attached backup disks or NAS volume? Are they HFS+ or APFS format? I suspect they are HFS+.

I have been able to continue backing up to existing backups, but I have started new ones after the first backup was completed, because I wanted to benefit from the new APFS format. (I’m using all NAS backups.) However, I don’t remember if I did so when updating to Big Sur or to Monterey. :-/

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I only noticed today (after 5 days) that my Time Machine does not find my NAS back up volume anymore (even though it is listed there) and instead shows the exact same volume again as an "available one" as if I am not already using that one for my backup?!

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-15 um 12.47.46.png

Last edited:

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
I only noticed today (after 5 days) that my Time Machine does not find my NAS back up volume anymore (even though it is listed there) and instead shows the exact same volume again as an "available one" as if I am not already using that one for my backup?!
The volume can appear twice if your NAS offers both, SMB and AFP protocol. If you hover with your mouse over the volume, if should display the coennection url with afp:// or smb:// as the protocol.

AFP has been deprecated by Apple, so it is recommended to use only SMB. If possible, disable AFP on your NAS.

To fix the problem that Time Machine says it cannot find the volume, I would try disconnecting and reconnecting it.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey everyone, February is just about over, and when 12.2x came out I had said because of how promising the results were, we could give it a month to see. Since there haven't been many complaints about ongoing Time machine problems, I'm going to assume it's now safe to move this thread to resolved.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I confirm I didn’t have any more issues on my problem Mac since 12.2.
Well, good to hear. I have marked this thread as resolved. People are still free to pot here, however now, they should do it knowing the initial issues have been resolved and any remaining issues should probably be treated as isolated incidents (unless the number suddenly goes up in number.) With that said, no one has come back to post issues with the 12.3 beta, so going by that, it doesn't have issues that apply to this thread.

utelme

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2018
I have just this pass week installed Monterey and been struggling to fix all my broken software. I had a reason to enter recovery to run disk utility fix issues. But I stopped to check out TM since I set it up and it appears to be working but the restore feature once you select Time Machine restore you enter a page that tell you to click "CONTINUE" to being but I found no "Continue" button to advance the I notice that lots of windows are not drawn properly and extend pass the bottom of the screen I tried to adjust my display but still can't find a Link "Continue" button.

Anyone found a solution.

Updates for anyone using a large monitor as I'm Using a 48" Samsung monitor that has two separate modes the default mode using the entire screen 3200x900 resolution and booting into recovery in this mode it appears can't draw the screens correctly thus I switched into PBP or Picture in Picture making the monitor treated as two separate screens and draws 1920x480 resolution. I was able to now see the bottom of the screen where they put the Continue Button. But is so much of pain for the need to boot into recovery just to restore a TM backup and it's very slow and flaky. I think I'll start to depend more on Carbon Copy Cloner. It's just I use a NAS for all my backups and both TM and CCC don't appear to work well with NAS.

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
TM backup and it's very slow and flaky. I think I'll start to depend more on Carbon Copy Cloner. It's just I use a NAS for all my backups and both TM and CCC don't appear to work well with NAS.

I do CCC NAS backups with no problem. TM for me on a NAS is unusable. TM restores are glacially slow.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I don't use TM restore, I manually go into the TM back up and copy things back. I find this more reliable, and it has always worked well for me.

utelme

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2018
I have never done a full disk backup from inside TM but I have restore some deleted applications but I'm not sure when you delete an app that the TM will copy back it's associated files like .plist or preference files.

For my own sanity I keep 3 backups of my OS on several devices like NAS, SSD external HD and Keep important docs on my Cloud Drive. The best backup is a full copy on an external HD I backup to 2 external HD each on is set for a period behind real time to catch any OS software problems like malware or viruses.

Last edited:

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I have never done a full disk backup from inside TM but I have restore some deleted applications but I'm not sure when you delete an app that the TM will copy back it's associated files like .plist or preference files.

For my own sanity I keep 3 backups of my OS on several devices like NAS, SSD external HD and Keep important docs on my Cloud Drive. The best backup is a full copy on an external HD I backup to 2 external HD each on is set for a period behind real time to catch any OS software problems like malware or viruses.
Time Machine backs up app settings, so it should restore them. It simply excludes certain system related stuff such as caches, or whatever the user chooses to exclude. Since I know where stuff goes on my setup, it makes it easy to go into the backup structure, find the files and copy them back. I don't have a lot of critical stuff that needs to be backed up, so I backup for a just in case, so getting the data back is faster, than if it wasn't backed up.

utelme

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2018
Well after several week's of installing and reinstalling and attempting to figure out Backups using TM or CCC it' over. I had successfully installed what appeared to be a stable version of OA 12.2.1 but found it to be deceptively buggy and very slow, "Lots of Spinning Beach Balls". But Apple made sure I put it to the test by releasing there update 12.3 that destroyed any concept of stability or usability or being able to back up a infected system using any of Montereys updated backup programs i.e CCC. IF you need to do a full system backup i.e disk backup using TM forget it hangs or if finishes ends up in a boot loop. CCC can't do a bootable backup without using Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant, something I never bothered to look for as after a couple of days of attempting to backup the only way I could was to first wipe the corrupted system drive and then reinitialize the drive and reinstall using Monterey System installer and then migrate an previous backup 12.2.1 system using migration utility. Forget TM or CCC they claim it's something to do with the way apple SMB filesystem causing a lot of problems. Even after I managed to downgrade back to 12.2.1 it's still has lots of bugs and very slow to respond I skipped Catalina and Big Slur all together and I'm currently gave up an Monterey back to using Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 everything works and windows open so fast compared to anything Apple has come up with recently. PS if you install Monterey after you do the first thing a user should do is check Apples Software update pref and turn off auto updates. I forgot and it started an auto upgrade while I was away from my system for a day and hence upgrading me to 12.3 and showed me how painful local backups are.

fivenotrump

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Central England
I don't understand any of this: so perhaps I've just been lucky! I've had no problem with TM backup (nor restore) on two M1 Macs (from 11.0.1 to 12.3): both local USB and Synology NAS over SMB.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey all, doing a quick post, yesterday my existing Time Machine backup decided to get into a state where the password for encryption was no longer accepted for the drive. I switched drives and set up a clean backup and everything seems to be working again as normal. I thought maybe the drive had failed because they are several years old, but I was able to reformat it, and it seems OK, haven't put data back on it though since I'm not sure how reliable it is at this point.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this. Where an encrypted drive just suddenly forgets it's password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.