Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada
After eyeing all the iterations of AW throughout the years, finally ordered my first; SBTi with black leather loop. Figured a decent buy considering they add an extra band and power block. Coming from a Garmin Fenix 5x. While the battery life is certainly good, the screen resolution is not. Can be pretty tough to see in dark areas, even with light. That’s said, will The AW be easier to see in dim/dark areas? The other reasons I’m switching, tired of plug in charging and the clunky interface with Garmin Connect. The upgrade to a Fenix 6x Pro would cost about the same and still lower resolution than the AW. Hope I made the right decision! ?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
After eyeing all the iterations of AW throughout the years, finally ordered my first; SBTi with black leather loop. Figured a decent buy considering they add an extra band and power block. Coming from a Garmin Fenix 5x. While the battery life is certainly good, the screen resolution is not. Can be pretty tough to see in dark areas, even with light. That’s said, will The AW be easier to see in dim/dark areas? The other reasons I’m switching, tired of plug in charging and the clunky interface with Garmin Connect. The upgrade to a Fenix 6x Pro would cost about the same and still lower resolution than the AW. Hope I made the right decision! ?
You won’t have any problems viewing the Apple Watch screen. :)

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
Darkness is no issue with Apple Watch. You’ll be fine.

Reactions: wrz0170

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
More Pics! They refined the brushed finnish and the color for sure, itˋ perfect.

It does look great. I just returned from the Apple Store (returned my Graphite,) and I got a good look at the SBTi. I'm now thinking about cancelling my natural Ti order and going with SBTi.🤦‍♂️

*EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I'm gonna stick with natural, but the SB looks great.

Last edited:

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
You deserve to be happy. So I say do it ?

Yeah, the pandemic is making it a little tricky. Since I was simply returning the Watch, they wouldn't let me try on anything else without an appointment, so I just kinda got a quick look at everything. That's why I'm hesitant.
[automerge]1600725908[/automerge]
Just got my S6 SBTi 44mm. I was quite surprised to see the difference between S5 and S6. The 2020 model has a stronger but subtle brush that makes it feel even more premium when compared to the S5. Looks a lot different in person, trust me! The pictures don’t justifiy it’s beauty. ( The one with the leather loop is the S6 )
-Tell me what you think...

Do you think you could take pics of the S5 and S6 together??? Thanks!

iappleme

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2020
Yeah, the pandemic is making it a little tricky. Since I was simply returning the Watch, they wouldn't let me try on anything else without an appointment, so I just kinda got a quick look at everything. That's why I'm hesitant.
[automerge]1600725908[/automerge]

Do you think you could take pics of the S5 and S6 together??? Thanks!
Sure!

Attachments

• 4E3A2983-D5B9-4873-8861-B957C0A764BA.jpeg
    4E3A2983-D5B9-4873-8861-B957C0A764BA.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 352

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010

Thanks! That was my impression when at the store, but it was hard to tell the differences without the S5 to compare.

I was surprised how relatively light the graphite is. For a minute from a few feet away, under the store's lights, I had a hard time deciphering between regular stainless and the graphite.

iappleme

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2020
Thanks! That was my impression when at the store, but it was hard to tell the differences without the S5 to compare.

I was surprised how relatively light the graphite is. For a minute from a few feet away, under the store's lights, I had a hard time deciphering between regular stainless and the graphite.
The only thing i am going to miss about the graphite is if apple comes out with a graphite iphone 12 pro. ?

Reactions: ecr80

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
I was all set to stick with the graphite and then my SBTi I preordered arrived today. And the weight and uniformity convinced me to return the Graphite. The titanium just holds up so well from my experience and the light weight (which feels even lighter this year). Also, I think it has been referenced here but I haven't browsed through it all, but the space black appears a shade darker??

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Do we know for sure that SB this year is DLC? Being able to see more of the brushed metal underneath with the SB makes me wonder if it's either a thinner coating, or a different type.

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
Just got my S6 Ti with the braided Solo Loop and have to return the whole thing -_-, Solo Loop is way too big (ordered size 8, I am closer to a 7, most likely 6). All the stores near me are closed due to Covid and nearest store is 2-3 hours away. Already placed an order for a S6 Ti with a Sport Loop and will order the Solo Loop a la carte. Watch itself is amazing just like my Ti S5. Didn't realize Blood Oxygen wouldn't work with my iPhone on 14.2. Oh well.

IMG_6040.jpeg

AJ44

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2019
Just got my S6 SBTi today and loving it, I’ve had the SBAl and this is nothing like it in person.

I think I found my winning combo with my S5Ti. And now Apple will change it in S7 🤣

Attachments

• 002B2B7F-3106-4F1E-9BA8-DD1B293ED0C9.jpeg
    002B2B7F-3106-4F1E-9BA8-DD1B293ED0C9.jpeg
    318.1 KB · Views: 314

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Well I just opened the ti black and looked at it under different lighting conditions and it looks the same s5. I definitely prefer the graphite this time around. I do prefer the black ti over the space black but the graphite is so sexy.

Reactions: deeddawg and bluegt

mbsaeger

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Just got my S6 Ti with the braided Solo Loop and have to return the whole thing -_-, Solo Loop is way too big (ordered size 8, I am closer to a 7, most likely 6). All the stores near me are closed due to Covid and nearest store is 2-3 hours away. Already placed an order for a S6 Ti with a Sport Loop and will order the Solo Loop a la carte. Watch itself is amazing just like my Ti S5. Didn't realize Blood Oxygen wouldn't work with my iPhone on 14.2. Oh well.

View attachment 957145

YMMV but an Apple rep I spoke to said I could exchange the band in store. OR order the right size, and initiate a return once I get it and return the wrong size. A second Apple rep had no idea if you could do that but worth a try. I won’t return the whole watch for the band size

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca

View attachment 957145

At the Apple Store in SF where I picked up my watch on Friday - customers were being asked to try on their watch and if the new styled band (Solo loop or woven) didn’t fit they exchanged it for the right size - They were not refunding the watch just swapping the band.

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008

View attachment 957145

When I picked-up my SBTi, my wife came with me to try a braided solo loop (she wants Red which isn’t available yet). She had used the sizing guide and it said she was a 6 to 7. When she tried them on (associate brought a 5/6/7) she was clearly a 5. The 6 was loose-ish and the 7 was floppy. Point is, I think Apple messed this sizing-thing up a bit and it will be an issue going forward.

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Who says the loops are supposed to be at the bottom? Other than you obviously lol.
Watch makers since the creation of the first watches. Also Apple. Check out any of their pictures of watches with bands with loops. They are always at the bottom of the watch because this makes the long end of the band travel toward the pinky rather than toward the thumb (like a standard watch band with holes). Placement can affect the fit. Some people do prefer to swap the bands and place the loop at the top for swimming.
ED5E17D4-7325-4550-9024-CC5FFD1B5FB4.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fried_Gold

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
Watch makers since the creation of the first watches. Also Apple. Check out any of their pictures of watches with bands with loops. They are always at the bottom of the watch because this makes the long end of the band travel toward the pinky rather than toward the thumb (like a standard watch band with holes). Placement can affect the fit. Some people do prefer to swap the placement swimming.
View attachment 957206
Except for this one. Which by your logic the short section should be mounted on the bottom. There isn’t a right or wrong way.

Attachments

• 41C53C0C-A27F-4361-A930-2B68FA43F09B.jpeg
    41C53C0C-A27F-4361-A930-2B68FA43F09B.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 238

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Except for this one. Which by your logic the short section should be mounted on the bottom. There isn’t a right or wrong way.
That style doesn’t have a loop near the watch. All of the pics of the Milanese loop and sports loop (which were the bands I was referring to in my original post) have it at the bottom. Apple includes directions for the proper placement of these bands. Additionally, on the picture you posted, the long end of the band is at the bottom of the watch, which is the standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fried_Gold
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.