Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
Yes hopefully they will make brushed ss. I think they figure using exp materials on a device that will be obsolete soon is a waste. I gotta say sitting out in the sun looking at the graphite it looks sweet. I’m sold.
I’d go brushed SS also, but my guess is they don’t because they need to differentiate between SS and aluminum. You could just get an SS and wear it a ton! It would naturally look brushed lol

• Haha
Reactions: the future

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
Sure, Omega does do that, but their ceramic Speedys are still relatively subdued. The graphite DLC reminds me more of a ceramic Rado, which just isn't my thing, I guess.

I've been saying it since Series 0, but I wish Apple would just make a brushed steel model. I'd likely buy that one every time.
As a former Rolex Submariner wearer I always leaned toward SS, but went Natural Ti this time. I’ll never get a dark color watch because of the same reason you stated. Reminds me of this:

Attachments

• D5384C5F-5484-433B-B10A-452CC079C7EC.jpeg
    D5384C5F-5484-433B-B10A-452CC079C7EC.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 247

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Sure, Omega does do that, but their ceramic Speedys are still relatively subdued. The graphite DLC reminds me more of a ceramic Rado, which just isn't my thing, I guess.

I've been saying it since Series 0, but I wish Apple would just make a brushed steel model. I'd likely buy that one every time.

The Ti is brushed comes close to a brushed SS look?

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
The Ti is brushed comes close to a brushed SS look?

Yeah, that’s what I ordered. It’s just that titanium is warmer and doesn’t quite match up with my links bracelet as well (or lots of other strap ends.) If they made a brushed steel model, I’d order that one every time.

Reactions: Luba

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Yeah, that’s what I ordered. It’s just that titanium is warmer and doesn’t quite match up with my links bracelet as well (or lots of other strap ends.) If they made a brushed steel model, I’d order that one every time.
Yes, our steel link bracelets are brushed. It would match perfectly if steel was also brushed. I generally have been very happy with steel, but wanted something different so I also ordered Ti. I also have a blue aluminum that I got on Launch Day and it's good. It seems Apple has improved their coloring of the aluminum as it's less "orange peel" or spray-on paint like. When I get both of them I'll have to choose. Getting Blue aluminum will allow me to upgrade every year while if I went with the Ti I would update every 2 years.

Reactions: douglasf13

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Just got my SS Graphite, not sure if I’m going to keep it.
Here are some comparison pictures. Please help me decide. ??
AWTi Vs AWSS Graphite

I’ll say this, after owning the SBTi S6 in person, the pictures I’ve seen of it online from customers do not do it justice. It’s hard to make out the brushed metal look in pictures, but in person you absolutely can, and it’s stunning. Brushed look looks great on both titanium models IMO.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Anyone here have the natural Titanium (not Space Black) Series 5? How has it held up during the year?

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Here are some comparison pictures. Please help me decide. 🙏🏻
AWTi Vs AWSS Graphite
I prefer the SB titanium because it’s lighter weight and doesn’t show mirror-like reflections. Titanium seems to be the optimal material for a watch. It’s also a nice bonus that they come with a power adapter and extra free band.

Just an FYI if you weren’t already aware; the bands are supposed to be placed with the loops at the bottom.

Last edited:

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Here are some comparison pictures. Please help me decide. ??
AWTi Vs AWSS Graphite
Thanks for the great comparison pics. To my eye Apple’s photos make the graphite steel look less shiny than it apparently is. Good to know.

Reactions: deeddawg

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Here are some comparison pictures. Please help me decide. 🙏🏻
AWTi Vs AWSS Graphite

I’m a fan of the matte on the SBTi. So I vote SBTi, haha!!

I have a natural S5 Ti, and was happy to have a break from SGAL, haha!! Plus, I’m a sucker for Ti. Love that metal, haha!!

This year picked-up both SBTi and Natural TI. Want to see both in person and with my bands.

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Anyone here have the natural Titanium (not Space Black) Series 5? How has it held up during the year?
I've worn my natural Ti series 5 every day since launch. I'm am not an athlete or in construction so it doesn't get hard core use. That said, the case has scuff marks. I don't ever notice them but since you asked I looked carefully and yep it is lightly scuffed. These can probably be buffed out which I used to do with my SS Apple watches. But, honestly, between the brushed finish and the slightly darker color (versus the stainless steel) I just don't notice the scuffs. Chalk it up to a watch well lived ;-). I'm getting ti again this year...next time I'll probably want to shake things up.

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008

I‘ve had a S5 Natural Ti since launch.

The only scuffs I see are where the lower band attaches. I think it’s from the end of the sport loop rubbing when I take the watch off and expand the loop. I wear this watch all day, every day. Running, biking, swimming, light yard work, washing a car, whatever. It has held up great and I love the material.

That said, this year I can’t decide between SBTi and Natural. I bought both to check them out in person.

For S7, I’m hoping for some cool Ti anodized colors haha!!
EE611BFD-8BFD-4ADB-B8F7-45A3FCB9BB11.jpeg
C43FD017-15F3-42AF-8D0A-D517D24F7465.jpeg

Reactions: Uccle and Traverse

iappleme

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2020
I prefer the titanium because of the benefits (lighter, stronger and more scratch resistance). It seems to be the optimal material for a watch. It’s also a nice bonus that it comes with a power adapter and extra free band. Just an FYI if you weren’t already aware; the bands are supposed to be placed with the loops at the bottom.
Thanks for the reply! one Year with my SBTi S5 and no one scratch! Tomorrow S6 arrives! I think I’m going to keep both.. SBTi S5 and ti SBTi S6, maybe using one with a sport solo band and the other one with the leather loop band. - Just hope iPhone 12 Pro doesn’t come out in Graphite. ?

Reactions: Europa13

iappleme

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2020
Thanks for the great comparison pics. To my eye Apple’s photos make the graphite steel look less shiny than it apparently is. Good to know.
I know! But Is like a plastic shine, almost too shiny... and I know is silly but it feels weird, I’m sticking with SBTi.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I‘ve had a S5 Natural Ti since launch.

The only scuffs I see are where the lower band attaches. I think it’s from the end of the sport loop rubbing when I take the watch off and expand the loop. I wear this watch all day, every day. Running, biking, swimming, light yard work, washing a car, whatever. It has held up great and I love the material.

That said, this year I can’t decide between SBTi and Natural. I bought both to check them out in person.

For S7, I’m hoping for some cool Ti anodized colors haha!!
View attachment 956540 View attachment 956541

Excellent photos with the lighting and angle. If anyone needed an example comparison, this photo would be the ‘go-to’.

Reactions: deeddawg

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
I prefer the titanium because of the benefits (lighter, stronger and more scratch resistance). It seems to be the optimal material for a watch. It’s also a nice bonus that it comes with a power adapter and extra free band. Just an FYI if you weren’t already aware; the bands are supposed to be placed with the loops at the bottom.

Who says the loops are supposed to be at the bottom? Other than you obviously lol.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
GaaaaaaahhdUH.

I'm really having a hard time deciding what I want to do. My raw titanium watch arrives next Monday and I just keep going back and forth on whether I want to keep it and return my current graphite steel or keep the steel. The titanium looks nice and would match my white gold wedding band almost perfectly but my usage has always been more along the lines of exercise/sport/activity tracking and I like the black on black look I currently have.

What to dooooo?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
GaaaaaaahhdUH.

I'm really having a hard time deciding what I want to do. My raw titanium watch arrives next Monday and I just keep going back and forth on whether I want to keep it and return my current graphite steel or keep the steel. The titanium looks nice and would match my white gold wedding band almost perfectly but my usage has always been more along the lines of exercise/sport/activity tracking and I like the black on black look I currently have.

What to dooooo?
I currently have the SBTi Series 5 and I actually like the SB model. I did pick up the Graphite Series 6 models and I didn't really like it so I returned it. My SBTi Series 6 is at the UPS CC in Middleton, WI and I'll be pick it up later today. Pretty excited.

Reactions: iappleme

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
What does that even mean, the loops are supposed to be placed at the bottom? I don't get it.
I think he means on a sport loop, the part that loops through is at the bottom part of the watch facing yourself. As if there is only one correct way to wear a sport loop. What if I like the two pieces of fabric away from me instead of facing me all day? Is that now not "correct?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.