Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
For things like an Apple Watch case esp in dlc no advantage at all. It scratches easier. for industrial equip and implants it’s superior etc due to strength to weight ratio and Corrosion resistance. some watch manufactures like it due to the cool name. Rolex won’t touch it. It’s definitely a novelty.
What are the positives are Ti over steel? Ti is more lightweight. Ti is more resistant to rusting than steel? Ti holds a sharp edge better than steel? I don't know, just asking. :)

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada
I ordered the same day and saw the next day they had slipped to late October. This is to replace my launch day order which i mistakenly ordered with the Solo Loop in the wrong size. Ordered with a Sport Loop this time and plan to get the Solo Loop once my local stores open/have stock. Is yours in Preparing to Ship already? Mine is just in Processing. Had hoped this would ship before I have to return this one.

Yes, the status has been showing Preparing to Ship pretty much all day. Unfortunately, I cannot pinpoint when it changed from Processing to Preparing to Ship.

I too plan on getting the Solo loop separately. This way if there is a sizing issue, replace the band. Not the whole kit.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
What are the positives are Ti over steel? Ti is more lightweight. Ti is more resistant to rusting than steel? Ti holds a sharp edge better than steel? I don't know, just asking. :)

Titanium is lighter. It’s stronger to weight ratio but even aluminum is strong for the task of a watch case. Some people like steel for the weight and or the polished finish. But neither is actually better.

A lot of it is preferences. Most of it is. Some of it is trade offs. Smart money is on alum but I’m not smart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dguitarnut

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Mine was scheduled to arrive today but there was some delay not delivery date is pending ahhhhh

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m a big fan of removing the power brick. I literally have a drawer full of iPhone and iPad power bricks that I don’t use. I have no need for the brick and I’d rather not get it.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m a big fan of removing the power brick. I literally have a drawer full of iPhone and iPad power bricks that I don’t use. I have no need for the brick and I’d rather not get it.

When I sold my AW5 to prep for the 6, I opened the box to find I hasn’t even removed the brick that came before hehe. We have so many of these.

Reactions: bevsb2

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Agreed. It's time we move away from the paradigm of shipping limited utility USB power sources with everything.

So many other things don't come with them - headphones, Qi pads, AppleTV remotes, powerbanks, etc. -- and the world hasn't ended.

Those few people who don't have other alternatives can easily fix the problem with a stop at their grocery/drug/convenience store.

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada
My order is right at the cutoff for the power brick. Ordered Monday 09/21. Got notice that it shipped today. Do I need it? Nope. But curious if I get one.

• Haha
Reactions: deeddawg

norsemen

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
Interesting! Curious what changed and how that affects their supply. Was this planned? Did they produce a limited number of watch boxes with space for the brick?

When your argument for removing the power adapter was reducing the carbon footprint, it didn`t make any sense to include it in the Edition and Hermes lineup.

Reactions: deeddawg

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
We’ll never be given the info I’m sure. My guess would be that packaging was well underway when the decision was made to pull them all. I dunno.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
When your argument for removing the power adapter was reducing the carbon footprint, it didn`t make any sense to include it in the Edition and Hermes lineup.

Yes, though in terms of units-sold I suspect there's a lot fewer Edition & Hermes watches sold.

Still more consistent to just eliminate the brick across the board.

I applaud the move. 5W USB sources are so commonplace today there's just not going to be a lot of people who truly need their watch to come with the brick. ... and for those who do need one, the solution is inexpensive and as close as the nearest convenience/drug/grocery/other store.

Reactions: jdb8167

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
But if you don’t need it then how is it a bonus? It‘s just something that’s going to sit in a drawer taking up space or wind up in a landfill.

I don't need it to power my watch but an extra is always nice to have at the office, in another room etc. Anywho, no big deal to me either way.

lekun

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
I ordered my on September 17. Yesterday my card was charged and status was moved to “Preparing to Ship.” At that time it had a delivery estimate of next week.

This morning I got a text that said it won’t arrive until October 23rd, and my order status now says the same. Pretty bummed. Also not thrilled they’ve charged my card, also.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I've decided to move from my Series 6 Graphite, and go with a Series 5 Natural Ti another MacRumors user sold to me. SS just wasn't doing it for me after using SBTi for the majority last year. I love the S6 update internally but I'm ok not spending the extra $400 for a S6 titanium.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
For things like an Apple Watch case esp in dlc no advantage at all. It scratches easier. for industrial equip and implants it’s superior etc due to strength to weight ratio and Corrosion resistance. some watch manufactures like it due to the cool name. Rolex won’t touch it. It’s definitely a novelty.

They didn’t use titanium for the case or period? Because Rolex has used Titanium on/in their watches before.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
They use it in their Tudor line but not in their Rolex line. I’ve never seen a real ti Rolex. I find ceramics far more interesting. Too bad they are so exp and Apple dropped them. A black ceramic would be nice at about 1k. I’d be in.
They didn’t use titanium for the case or period? Because Rolex has used Titanium on/in their watches before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.