Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derTeHa

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2020
Leipzig, Germany, Europe
And there she is - my first Apple Watch Edition. ? I love the natural titanium-look, it always plays with the light-conditions around you, looks really premium, subtile elegant and sometimes a little bit „retro“. ?

46E3D020-F907-4FDC-B84B-13317C187D26.jpeg

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
There’s no way this is possible, you can not scratch any Apple Watch with your fingernail, let alone a dlc coated one.
What can I tell you, the marks are there.. I wouldn't say to the stainless but there are marks that did not come off with water or microfiber. Invisible to the naked eye but up close they're there.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
This is the Graphite? That might be parts of you fingernail that rubbed off onto the watch. If not the ends of our nails are porous. Maybe you had some harder particles on your nails that did it.

I have a posting history praising DLC and have owned every finish of the series 5 except ceramic.

there you go

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
This is the Graphite? That might be parts of you fingernail that rubbed off onto the watch. If not the ends of our nails are porous. Maybe you had some harder particles on your nails that did it.
Yes Graphite. Like I said, I used water/soap and microfiber which usually takes care of anything. It's definitely in the coating. It doesn't "feel" like DLC, my finger would slide across SB SS DLC where this Graphite version there is definite friction. I honestly think it's PVC coating. Or just such a light DLC coating that you can mark it quite easily.

If you want a true DLC beast go for Hermes SS SB or SB Ti.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Very possible. I already returned mine as it didn't pass the butter knife scratch test that my DLC Ti does.I did it last year too. Im sticking with the Black TI 6 for now. Its too bad as I had higher hopes for the Graphite. It sure is sexy.
Yes Graphite. Like I said, I used water/soap and microfiber which usually takes care of anything. It's definitely in the coating. It doesn't "feel" like DLC, my finger would slide across SB SS DLC where this Graphite version there is definite friction. I honestly think it's PVC coating. Or just such a light DLC coating that you can mark it quite easily.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003

i just tried my hardest to scratch my Graphite model with my fingernail. Picked up a few marks but I was able to wipe them right off with a bit of rubbing, and it looks brand new again.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
i just tried my hardest to scratch my Graphite model with my fingernail. Picked up a few marks but I was able to wipe them right off with a bit of rubbing, and it looks brand new again.
It's nit picky and surely doesn't affect the look and I only caught that photo with super bright lighting.. my finer nails aren't vibranium. lol But if my finger nail did that at all, i worry about hitting a door handle. Which i've done with my SBSS and SBTi in the past. No marks on the SBSS and any mark on my SBTi just wiped right off.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Its bizarre. Definitely was able to scratch the graphite with a butter knife. Its hard to see or photograph but it would not come off after no matter how hard I tried. The SBTi left marks but wiped right off with my shirt. Im going to give it a year and if it looks like they are holding up well will defiantly go graphite next year if its still available. They said the band is PVD maybe the typo was with the watch and it's PVD. We just don't know.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
So can we assume the SBTi has the most durable coating?
Without a doubt in my experience. I can also vouch for it's shock absorption. Dropped my watch once on my garage floor, fell on the corner close to the sapphire glass but thankfully the concrete hit all titanium. I thought for sure i'd shattered it.. but nothing, just a small mark of concrete on the Titanium casing that wiped off with my t-shirt.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
So the SBTI arrived today. I honestly debated swapping from the natural to SB. Both options look amazing. Black is a little more sleek. But I haven’t had the shiny version before so I’m going to go with that.

Both are nice looking.

Last edited:

Justin51

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2014
Finally came!!!!!!! This thing is sleek!!! Also got some extra bands. Super happy with the decision now that it’s on my wrist, as I’ve had the SS version my last two watches.

Attachments

• 35B57807-9C80-4DBA-B5A1-8D0497DDF469.jpeg
    35B57807-9C80-4DBA-B5A1-8D0497DDF469.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 305FFB9A-5BC3-4054-8DD2-B4947C09B642.jpeg
    305FFB9A-5BC3-4054-8DD2-B4947C09B642.jpeg
    662.7 KB · Views: 203
The titanium watch is beautiful! It’s premium and such a worth upgrade. It speaks status for itself.
[automerge]1601071824[/automerge]
So the SBTI arrived today. I honestly debated swapping from the natural to SB. Both options look amazing. Black is a little more sleek. But I haven’t had the shiny version before so I’m going to go with that.

Both are mine looking
Yes go with the shiny one! It looks amazing. Black is great but you’ll get bored fast.

Attachments

• FBAEF6DA-757B-42E2-82FD-F14E91B9E122.jpeg
    FBAEF6DA-757B-42E2-82FD-F14E91B9E122.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: iappleme

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
The titanium watch is beautiful! It’s premium and such a worth upgrade. It speaks status for itself.
[automerge]1601071824[/automerge]

Yes go with the shiny one! It looks amazing. Black is great but you’ll get bored fast.

I wouldn’t get bored. But I do like both. Makes me think. There’s not really a wrong answer.

Though I did not care for the natural alum. Black was nice.

Not sure why the guy above me said it’s greenish? I don’t see that.

Not a fan of the the off gray dull color. Black is far better looking imho.
It changes the colors and reflections once ur out! Maybe the lighting in my
house is a little green. Stupid haze from the wild fire ugh 🤦🏻‍♀️
[automerge]1601072964[/automerge]
The natural Ti is gorgeous imo, I think that's going to be what I opt for. I feel like the black Ti would be too close to my current space grey Al and I want something different.
If you want different go with the natural color! That’s what I did this year. I’m so happy with it. It changes the pattern of the color once you go outside. It looks unique and very high end.

Attachments

• A0735CFC-ADE9-4663-B1BA-1FEE0C20DF55.jpeg
    A0735CFC-ADE9-4663-B1BA-1FEE0C20DF55.jpeg
    512.6 KB · Views: 199

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
my fav color yet is the graphite but returned it as its looking like it will not hold up well to scratches.
It changes the colors and reflections once ur out! Maybe the lighting in my
house is a little green. Stupid haze from the wild fire ugh 🤦🏻‍♀️
[automerge]1601072964[/automerge]

If you want different go with the natural color! That’s what I did this year. I’m so happy with it. It changes the pattern of the color once you go outside. It looks unique and very high end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.