Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've decided to move from my Series 6 Graphite, and go with a Series 5 Natural Ti another MacRumors user sold to me. SS just wasn't doing it for me after using SBTi for the majority last year. I love the S6 update internally but I'm ok not spending the extra $400 for a S6 titanium.

I literally am doing exactly what you did migrating from the stainless to the Ti. I really want the black Ti due to the DLC, but there’s been plenty of reports from members on here that the natural titanium is still fairly durable and can remove minor scuffs with some simple home remedies. I look forward to it.

Reactions: Nancy&co

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I literally am doing exactly what you did migrating from the stainless to the Ti. I really want the black Ti due to the DLC, but there’s been plenty of reports from members on here that the natural titanium is still fairly durable and can remove minor scuffs with some simple home remedies. I look forward to it.
Yeah. the watch looks like it's in great condition overall. Just minor marking. I ordered one of these to try out

Another user posted it with success. Looking forward to the Natural Ti, which I call the Delorean of Apple Watches

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Did you get your shipment notice? Mine notice came last night. No delivery date set yet with UPS.

Yes, as well as UPS tracking #. Last sacn in Shanghai @ 12:45am 9/25.

Apple claims an Oct 2nd delivery date; original estimate was Oct 1st - 5th.

At one point earlier today UPS claimed a 9/28 delivery date, but is no longer showing a date.

Reactions: wrz0170

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Yes, as well as UPS tracking #. Last sacn in Shanghai @ 12:45am 9/25.

Apple claims an Oct 2nd delivery date; original estimate was Oct 1st - 5th.

At one point earlier today UPS claimed a 9/28 delivery date, but is no longer showing a date.

Looks like the watches are making the trip together. All my updates are exactly the same as yours.

Reactions: deeddawg

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
I’m trying to switch to the natural titanium after 5 years of stainless steel. Right now I have a S6 in each, and it’s a really tough decision. People will say to choose on the basis of style but that too is kind of an odd ask: you can still like both! If they were $100/each I would surely keep both.

Some early observations:
— if you are used to the shiny steel, the titanium looks really really humble at the beginning. Like, it’s more like a MacBook than like the sides of an iPhone X or later. More like tech than like jewelry.
— but after a little while you begin to wonder: was the shiny steel maybe a bit too flashy for those last five years? Isn’t the titanium a bit more of a connoisseur’s flavor, while someone who doesn’t know any better may still mistake it for aluminum? Is it not, in other words, a bit more refined than the steel that shouts “look at me!”?
— and yet. The titanium comes with a light grey sports band which you cannot swap at the Apple Store. That’s a shame, because it means that unless you happen to like that color you’ll have to have a duplicate sports band. I don’t like the excess. To say nothing of the charger, which they could’ve kept.
— and yet: the titanium watch is already picking up tiny scratches. Tiny, for sure, but certainly-there-level scratches. My previous steel (a S4) had two years of intensive swimming, bike-mechanic work, sweating, soap, everything was thrown at it mercilessly and while it certainly did pick up marks on the way, it still looked very dignified. My early impression is that the titanium will age worse than the steel. What I am trying to figure out is if it’ll be easier to buff out.
— at times I feel like I am trying to make myself like the titanium but deep down I know the steel is more elegant. I go for a whole day with the titanium and then I see the steel on the charger and I go, wow, that’s a beautiful watch!
— then I think: with the redesign likely for Series 7 next year, I will surely upgrade again. Wound’t that be a good reason to try out the titanium, knowing that in 12 months I can go back to the steel if I regret it? Isn’t this, after all, the sort of decision that it takes a whole year to make?

Sometimes I wish Apple just made one model of everything.

jmanuel28

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2020
Mexico
Looks like the watches are making the trip together. All my updates are exactly the same as yours.

Mine too. Initially I decided not to spend too much on an new Apple Watch, so I order a blue aluminum just after the keynote, but the next day the estimated delivery to Mexico was until November, so I cancelled that order and started looking at the Graphite one, it looks nice, but I already have a SS and it wouldn’t be much of a change, so after reading this thread I fell in love with titanium and I pulled the trigger a few days ago, I’m not sure it was a good idea, but here we are ?

D91432C5-FEE2-461E-87E3-1BA1E9176F39.png

Reactions: ecr80 and wrz0170

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Mine too. Initially I decided not to spend too much on an new Apple Watch, so I order a blue aluminum just after the keynote, but the next day the estimated delivery to Mexico was until November, so I cancelled that order and started looking at the Graphite one, it looks nice, but I already have a SS and it wouldn’t be much of a change, so after reading this thread I fell in love with titanium and I pulled the trigger a few days ago, I’m not sure it was a good idea, but here we are ?

View attachment 958716

?Nice!! This will be my first AW. Hopefully I chose wisely. Be interesting to see who gets theirs first since a few of us have AW traveling together ?

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Decided to do the same scratch test as I did when I got the Black Ti S5. I took a butter knife to the side of the case of both the graphite and the Ti SB. Both left small marks but the marks on the Ti wiped right off with my shirt as last time. Ive tried to wipe the light marks off the graphite and they do not come off no matter how hard I try. Its so light on both I can't photograph them. I think the DLC on both are fine for normal use but the SBTi has an edge. Might have something to do with it being dull vs shiny, I don't know. We are starting to see more reports of the Graphite shcrathing right away supposedly with PVD bracelet that may be PVD or DLC. If I can scratch it with a butter knife I'm a bit concerned. I think ill return it, keep the SBTi S6 and hold off until next year. The Graphite sure looks nice IMHO. Do not try this at home lol.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Decided to do the same scratch test as I did when I got the Black Ti S5. I took a butter knife to the side of the case of both the graphite and the Ti SB. Both left small marks but the marks on the Ti wiped right off with my shirt as last time. Ive tried to wipe the light marks off the graphite and they do not come off no matter how hard I try. Its so light on both I can't photograph them. I think the DLC on both are fine for normal use but the SBTi has an edge. Might have something to do with it being dull vs shiny, I don't know. We are starting to see more reports of the Graphite shcrathing right away supposedly with PVD bracelet that may be PVD or DLC. If I can scratch it with a butter knife I'm a bit concerned. I think ill return it, keep the SBTi S6 and hold off until next year. The Graphite sure looks nice IMHO. Do not try this at home lol.
I used a fingernail on graphite and have a faint but permanent mark.. SBTi with a key or knife pulls material from them and just wipes off. it was impressive.

• Wow

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
What makes you say the normal Ti is like butter. I always had SBSS, went normal Ti for a new finish. Thx
I don’t know what the poster that first said this meant, but my understanding is that natural Ti is very soft — meaning that it will get marks easily but also can Be buffed easily. I have only had the titanium for 4 or 5 days after 5 years of steel and I can tell you that a minor bump into a metal lampshade already left a mark on the Ti, which would have never ever happened with the steel.

Edit: adding a photo to attempt to show the mark
AE73104F-FEFC-4D25-9756-9AD8DB6D190B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fried_Gold

Justin51

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2014
I’m trying to switch to the natural titanium after 5 years of stainless steel. Right now I have a S6 in each, and it’s a really tough decision. People will say to choose on the basis of style but that too is kind of an odd ask: you can still like both! If they were $100/each I would surely keep both.

Some early observations:
— if you are used to the shiny steel, the titanium looks really really humble at the beginning. Like, it’s more like a MacBook than like the sides of an iPhone X or later. More like tech than like jewelry.
— but after a little while you begin to wonder: was the shiny steel maybe a bit too flashy for those last five years? Isn’t the titanium a bit more of a connoisseur’s flavor, while someone who doesn’t know any better may still mistake it for aluminum? Is it not, in other words, a bit more refined than the steel that shouts “look at me!”?
— and yet. The titanium comes with a light grey sports band which you cannot swap at the Apple Store. That’s a shame, because it means that unless you happen to like that color you’ll have to have a duplicate sports band. I don’t like the excess. To say nothing of the charger, which they could’ve kept.
— and yet: the titanium watch is already picking up tiny scratches. Tiny, for sure, but certainly-there-level scratches. My previous steel (a S4) had two years of intensive swimming, bike-mechanic work, sweating, soap, everything was thrown at it mercilessly and while it certainly did pick up marks on the way, it still looked very dignified. My early impression is that the titanium will age worse than the steel. What I am trying to figure out is if it’ll be easier to buff out.
— at times I feel like I am trying to make myself like the titanium but deep down I know the steel is more elegant. I go for a whole day with the titanium and then I see the steel on the charger and I go, wow, that’s a beautiful watch!
— then I think: with the redesign likely for Series 7 next year, I will surely upgrade again. Wound’t that be a good reason to try out the titanium, knowing that in 12 months I can go back to the steel if I regret it? Isn’t this, after all, the sort of decision that it takes a whole year to make?

WOW...... You need to stop digging so deep and enjoy the watch, either way they all get scratches. I have had the SS in series 3 and 4 and I am now waiting for my natural Ti which will hopefully be here tomorrow.

While I think I am going to miss the SS glistering beauty, I am really looking forward to the natural brushed Ti for it's more subtleness. If I don't like it as much as my SS my next watch I will go back, I know you do have a return period but it's a pain to go through that and the new watched are really backlogged in shipping.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t know what the poster that first said this meant, but my understanding is that natural Ti is very soft — meaning that it will get marks easily but also can Be buffed easily. I have only had the titanium for 4 or 5 days after 5 years of steel and I can tell you that a minor bumpy into a metal lampshade already left a mark on the Ti, which would have never ever happened with the steel.

So were you able to remove the mark off your watch after hitting it on the lampshade? Or do you plan on leaving it ‘as is’.

johnyyz

Suspended
Sep 18, 2020
I used a fingernail on graphite and have a faint but permanent mark.. SBTi with a key or knife pulls material from them and just wipes off. it was impressive.

There’s no way this is possible, you can not scratch any Apple Watch with your fingernail, let alone a dlc coated one.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There’s no way this is possible, you can not scratch any Apple Watch with your fingernail, let alone a dlc coated one.

Yeah, I don’t know how you be able to scratch a DLC Coated Apple Watch with your fingernail, as I’ve hit it on other objects With a greater impact and left no damage. However, the regular 316l stainless steel Apple Watch, that you could scratch with your finger nail if you wanted to, but that’s just raw regular surgical stainless steel, but could be removed with a Cape Cod cloth.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017

Some early observations:

So, stainless it is! I currently have S4 SS with cellular activated, and S5 SBSS. Millions of tiny scratches and rubs on the SS, and it looks....elegant. Not a mark on the SBSS, with the same number of door knocks, and even up against a steel frame, stored outdoors, dangerously rusty, while shooting a competitive defensive pistol competition. Could have thrown up when I saw the rust and debris on the watch. Then. They. Rubbed. Off. Not a mark on the SBSS DLC!

Always thought I'd get a cape cod cloth and buff the SS, but....don't feel I need to! Boring SS silver again for me....all the bands work.

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
So were you able to remove the mark off your watch after hitting it on the lampshade? Or do you plan on leaving it ‘as is’.

I haven’t tried yet. I guess I don’t believe in constant buffing, so I just want to get a sense of how many scratches this would naturally accrue over the course of the year before I judge. But more importantly I want to understand whether the way that natural titanium scratches up bothers me or not... given that, as Pseudo-Fed says, with the stainless steel I always found the marks to be ok... This first one on the Titanium somehow seems more bothersome — maybe it is the way that the brushing hides-but-not-really the scratch so you only see it at certain angles. It ends up looking more like an imperfection and less like a feature. But truly I’m just obsessing now. The bigger picture is that those are two beautiful watches, two amazing pieces of tech and I feel lucky that I get to have one.

Always thought I'd get a cape cod cloth and buff the SS, but....don't feel I need to!

Same.

Reactions: Dguitarnut

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Arrived. Love the look after having black alum before (which I also liked). Was sure the 8 solo loop was going to be too large but it’s not bad. Still intend on a braided loop when available.

e5ee5ed27f939c8e37fadea9e375a934.jpg

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Do the Editions or for that matter the stainless steels go down in price later in the cycle year, perhaps 6 months from now? I know the aluminums go down in price ~5 months after Launch Day.

I have the Hermès S4 and I like the new Hermès face as well as the new faces that all S4, S5, S6 get. I feel the S4 is like a new watch. I was, however, really looking forward to always-on display, plus a louder speaker for phone calls while outside. The compass and blood oxygen sensor are only bonuses. I didn’t get AppleCare+ for the S4 as it had a 2-year warranty which is now over. I was thinking of using it until it broke or until mid-cycle then upgrading, and then subsequently upgrading during mid-cycle when and if there’s a price reduction. What’s your take on this strategy?

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
Just ordered a SBTi S6 as an upgrade from my SS SBS5. Has anyone tried the SBTi watch with the black Link bracelet?

Just wondering if the colour will be the exact same..

bluegt

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015

Some early observations:

You just sold me on the SS model :)

Reactions: va1984 and iappleme

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Do the Editions or for that matter the stainless steels go down in price later in the cycle year, perhaps 6 months from now? I know the aluminums go down in price ~5 months after Launch Day.

Apple doesn't do price reductions - their price remains constant through the year.

Some third party retailers may put Apple Watches on sale, but since only Apple carries the Edition models you likely won't see any price reductions on them. I don't know if the Hermes models are carried elsewhere, but have never seen them outside of Apple. I likely don't shop in the right places though.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I have the Hermès S4 and I like the new Hermès face as well as the new faces that all S4, S5, S6 get. I feel the S4 is like a new watch. I was, however, really looking forward to always-on display, plus a louder speaker for phone calls while outside. The compass and blood oxygen sensor are only bonuses. I didn’t get AppleCare+ for the S4 as it had a 2-year warranty which is now over. I was thinking of using it until it broke or until mid-cycle then upgrading, and then subsequently upgrading during mid-cycle when and if there’s a price reduction. What’s your take on this strategy?

For example, If you want a stainless model that would be discounted, you probably would be waiting at least 7–8 months before you’ll be able to find one before a retailer will discount them. The ‘Edition’ models are exclusive to Apple primarily and some third-party retailers like boutique shops for the Hermès brand. Macy’s was one store in my region last year supported the Hermes brand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.