Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I wish apple used grade 5 ti. Far more scratch resistant and doesn’t look so gray. I had an omega seamaster PO titanium. Looked like steel and was super tough.

iappleme

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2020
I wouldn’t get bored. But I do like both. Makes me think. There’s not really a wrong answer.

Though I did not care for the natural alum. Black was nice.

Not sure why the guy above me said it’s greenish? I don’t see that.

I like that SBTi changes with the light, is subtle, sexy and looks good in the gym and at night.

Attachments

• 1CDCEADB-BA38-490E-B3F5-C1311AFCC19C.png
    1CDCEADB-BA38-490E-B3F5-C1311AFCC19C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 377
  • B7AF2CAF-EC25-480B-9776-A7B563464A30.png
    B7AF2CAF-EC25-480B-9776-A7B563464A30.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 345
  • E31EEC79-DE6F-4FF0-A2F9-2B5CDA6FA780.png
    E31EEC79-DE6F-4FF0-A2F9-2B5CDA6FA780.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 370
  • 1D2BAD34-4D08-4ADE-9A28-212BD7F3BC98.png
    1D2BAD34-4D08-4ADE-9A28-212BD7F3BC98.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 369
Definitely not an accident they finish the titanium like this. Could polish the alum to look similar but that would not tier the sales structure.
It’s not just for the looks. The material itself is very nice. It has a premium feel
to it and it changes the color in different sets of lighting. It’s hard to explain. You have to see it in person. It just has a very premium feel to it.
[automerge]1601080063[/automerge]
Damn man, I am really trying to avoid some marital strife by upgrading my SBTi Series 5 to a 6... but that new more brushed finish looks so freakin' spectacular.
The brushed is very spectacular. I was very shocked and surprised too. Looks way better then space black titanium and I have both.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
I wish apple used grade 5 ti. Far more scratch resistant and doesn’t look so gray. I had an omega seamaster PO titanium. Looked like steel and was super tough.
What grade does Apple use, grade 3? Btw, how did you find out Apple doesn't use grade 5? The tech specs put out by Apple is not as detailed as previous years. I don't they even told us steel and titanium have sapphire displays versus ion glass on the aluminum.

Matt.jpg

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
Doesn’t it annoy the hell out of you paying a premium just to look like a aluminium. Could never justify Ti

Reactions: bluegt

Matt.jpg

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
Not reallly! Because the look and the feeling is different. Also the crystal sapphire glass is on a different level.

I can’t talk I purchased the AW6 Hermes , that has no justification in price over the standard SS I just wanted SB,

however I just never understood the titanium no one I’m the general public would ever recognise the difference between the base model and the Ti.

Reactions: deeddawg
I can’t talk I purchased the AW6 Hermes , that has no justification in price over the standard SS I just wanted SB,

however I just never understood the titanium no one I’m the general public would ever recognise the difference between the base model and the Ti.
If it’s a natural titanium they will recognize it. Space black not so much.

Reactions: 0-0

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Its only 100 more then the SS. You get an extra band and 1 year extra warranty. I could care less what the public thinks. All apple watches look the same to me for the most part. They are more intrinsic. If I want people to notice my watch I’ll wear a Rolex lol.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I can tell by the color of the natural ti. It’s most likely commercially pure or grade 2 based on the various omega watches I’ve had.
What grade does Apple use, grade 3? Btw, how did you find out Apple doesn't use grade 5? The tech specs put out by Apple is not as detailed as previous years. I don't they even told us steel and titanium have sapphire displays versus ion glass on the aluminum.

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011

I mean... who cares if ”they” recognize it or not? If this was a competition in spending money, you could just staple 8 x $100 bills together and duct tape them to your wrist. Then everybody would get the message that you’re happy to spend a lot of money.

To me, the fact that a random observer might think it’s just an aluminum Apple Watch would be a positive. I don’t want to appear ostentatious. It’s much more subtle and elegant if *you* know the truth, i.e. that it is a better, stronger material than aluminum, with a stronger sapphire display, etc. Ultimately, it’s not about what it looks but what it is. The aluminum watches are the basic models. Steel, titanium and ceramic are higher quality products, and you pick the one you like best. The whole idea that the cost needs to be codified in the looks is so...naive.

That said, today I saw a silver aluminum at the coffee shop and unless you’re blind there is no way to mistake the two. They're very obviously two different shades. people who’re not obsessed with apple might just think they’re two versions of the aluminum. And I’d be fine with that!

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
The appearance of the titanium is much more effected by the machining and finishing process than the grade. You could literally finish aluminum to appear similar to ti.

The alum and titanium watch look significantly different. The alum is a flat, blasted finish. They’re words apart.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
I can tell by the color of the natural ti. It’s most likely commercially pure or grade 2 based on the various omega watches I’ve had.
I must of been thinking grade 2. I believe that two grades of titanium are the most prevalent for wristwatches, grade 5 and grade 2? What makes grade 5 better and what brands uses titanium, Breitling?

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I’ve had 2 omegas. 1 grade 2 and 1 grade 5. The grade 5 looks more like ss and was definitely more scratch resistant. It’s also more exp and on their higher in models.
I must of been thinking grade 2. I believe that two grades of titanium are the most prevalent for wristwatches, grade 5 and grade 2? What makes grade 5 better and what brands uses titanium, Breitling?

Reactions: johnyyz

johnyyz

Suspended
Sep 18, 2020
I’ve had 2 omegas. 1 grade 2 and 1 grade 5. The grade 5 looks more like ss and was definitely more scratch resistant. It’s also more exp and on their higher in models.
Grade 2 is pure Ti. It’s relatively soft, only slightly harder than aluminum.

Grade 5 is an alloy which is comprised of just under 90% Ti, 6% Aluminum, 4% vanadium, and 0.25%. It’s over twice as hard as grande 2, although still softer than SS. Grade 5 is also able to take a polish and can look more like SS.

You guys should really compare and research more on Aluminum and Titanium. The price of itself says it all.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I do. If you can afford it and you like it, get it. If you want to buy it because it will make other people think something about you, I think you’ve confused what’s important.

It’s a status symbol. But not the status a lot of people should want.

johnyyz

Suspended
Sep 18, 2020
You guys should really compare and research more on Aluminum and Titanium. The price of itself says it all.

Not really. The price of tin is 10x the price of aluminum. Would you think a tin Apple Watch is premium? Price is a very small piece of the puzzle.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I do. If you can afford it and you like it, get it. If you want to buy it because it will make other people think something about you, I think you’ve confused what’s important.

It’s a status symbol. But not the status a lot of people should want.

You’re right, it is a status symbol. But I generally don’t think consumers really care one way or the other what type of metal you choose for an Apple Watch. If somebody’s wearing an aluminum Apple Watch, or the titanium model, the Apple Watch alone is just a status symbol given its popularity no matter what casing option someone chooses.

Reactions: wrz0170 and rKunda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.