Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I consider the Apple Watch a tool watch due to how useful it is. They all are ugly compared to a traditional watch imho. I by far prefer the looks of my Daytona but it’s just jewelry. The aw has helped a lot of people with fitness etc. it’s very form follows function.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I do. If you can afford it and you like it, get it. If you want to buy it because it will make other people think something about you, I think you’ve confused what’s important.

It’s a status symbol. But not the status a lot of people should want.

While I’m of the sort who doesn’t care what others think about my “stuff”, I’m also not going to judge those who do. Some folks have an inward focus and some folks have an outward focus. Each to their own.

Reactions: wrz0170 and bluegt

bluegt

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
Let’s not kid ourselves, everything we wear and do sends a signal to others about our position in the world... ie a “status symbol” - including what we put on our wrist!

That said, many people just don’t care about what others may think (or mistakenly perceive when looking at the watch).

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
While I’m of the sort who doesn’t care what others think about my “stuff”, I’m also not going to judge those who do. Some folks have an inward focus and some folks have an outward focus. Each to their own.

You know, that’s fair. I think I was a bit too harsh above. Absolutely no reason for me to turn a thread where we’re all just having a good time and be a butt. I’m sorry everyone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You know, that’s fair. I think I was a bit too harsh above. Absolutely no reason for me to turn a thread where we’re all just having a good time and be a butt. I’m sorry everyone.

Nothing you said was unfair. You made a valid point about what the Apple Watch was intended to be and will always be, and that is a status symbol.

(By the way, You never owe ‘digital strangers’ on the Internet an apology for your opinion, ever).

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I wasn’t talking about the $$$ 💰 I’m talking about the brand Hermès.
Speaking for myself, I’d never heard of Hermès before Apple watches.

Except for that dual loop band I don’t think I’d recognize one in the wild.

edit - in the unlikely event that I actually recognized somebody with some big name brand, it would have no effect on my perception of that person.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have the titanium and the stainless steel; which one is less likely to scratch?

Both would scratch similarly I imagine. The SS can be buffed out with a cape cod cloth. Others have had success here using some kind of pad on the Ti.

Edit: I was comparing silver SS to the Natural Ti. The Space Black Ti would definitely scratch less (or even none) than the silver SS and natural Ti. Space Black SS would also be very scratch resistant. Not sure on the graphite yet.

Reactions: ct2k7

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
I have the titanium and the stainless steel; which one is less likely to scratch?

I have a natural titanium and silver stainless steel. Titanium is softer and scratches far more easily, leaving shiny marks that stand out. However, titanium can be brushed back to normal with a $3 dish sponge. Steel is harder to scratch but the buffing out process is a little more involved and it actually results in you taking off a bit of material. In the hands of a careless person you could actually end up deforming a stainless steel case by buffing it excessively.

In short, the question is not which scratches more easily but how it looks when scratched, and how you’re likely to react to scratches.
If you’re happy to maintain your watch with regular brushing, keep the titanium.
Otherwise, keep the steel: it will wear its marks more gracefully even without intervention on your part.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I can’t talk I purchased the AW6 Hermes , that has no justification in price over the standard SS I just wanted SB,

however I just never understood the titanium no one I’m the general public would ever recognise the difference between the base model and the Ti.
It’s not about pleasing others. It’s about pleasing one’s self. That’s all that matters.

0-0

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
wow the natural titanium looks really sleek indeed. Looks amazing and quite unique. I changed my order from space black TI to natural.
Finally came!!!!!!! This thing is sleek!!! Also got some extra bands. Super happy with the decision now that it’s on my wrist, as I’ve had the SS version my last two watches.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Bringing this post over from the Show Off thread because this is where I was initially searching and hoping to find photos.

Wow. Thought I was sold on the graphite but this is a whole new level of sleek for me. No contest. Graphite is going back whenever I have time to make it to the store.

80785753-CFAD-4620-9D14-3B5A290C01E3.jpeg
E2F87437-BA26-4868-8189-B4787D623F9E.jpeg
940939A2-C307-4D26-A401-82C97B1D71CD.jpeg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In hindsight, I wish I would’ve opted for the natural titanium last year, but I wasn’t sure if it was too closely resembling the 7000 series aluminum silver model. Now I’m glad the Apple continued on with the Nat-Ti, and it will be the first year I would opt away from the stainless since 2015.

Reactions: the future

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I can’t talk I purchased the AW6 Hermes , that has no justification in price over the standard SS I just wanted SB,

however I just never understood the titanium no one I’m the general public would ever recognise the difference between the base model and the Ti.
Well, I bought my first ever Apple Watch last Monday and I opted for a SB titanium AW6. I had no interest in signalling any status to anyone, I simply wanted SB and was all set to buy the aluminium version but then read various horror stories about the aluminium ones getting dinged fairly easily whereas the SB titanium with DLC was said by most to be far more robust. I actually like the fact that my SB titanium looks exactly like a half-the-price SB aluminium. I got the colour and finish that I wanted and I chose to pay a price premium for peace of mind regarding durability. No one will know I went with titanium except me (well, and all you lot reading this post) and I’m fine with that.

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
Well, I bought my first ever Apple Watch last Monday and I opted for a SB titanium AW6. I had no interest in signalling any status to anyone, I simply wanted SB and was all set to buy the aluminium version but then read various horror stories about the aluminium ones getting dinged fairly easily whereas the SB titanium with DLC was said by most to be far more robust. I actually like the fact that my SB titanium looks exactly like a half-the-price SB aluminium. I got the colour and finish that I wanted and I chose to pay a price premium for peace of mind regarding durability. No one will know I went with titanium except me (well, and all you lot reading this post) and I’m fine with that.
This thread has become how must status you can signal wether you like it or not. ?

• Haha
Reactions: deeddawg

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
This thread is convincing me to return my graphite SS and get the natural TI. It looks stunning

I mean, it’s pretty nice.

I was torn between both. I think both finishes are njce. I wouldn’t be unhappy with the black. Usually liking a black band the stealth look is cool. But the silver finish is really good looking.

bluegt

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
Reactions: Ericdjensen

Foxhound357

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2019
SW. Ga.
The Apple site states that the space black titanium watch case has a "special surface coating that resists stains and fingerprints and preserves the natural brushed finish", but it doesn't say anything about the DLC finish like that on the series 5. I'm not saying it doesn't have it, I'm just saying that they don't promote it like they did with the series 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.