Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
No only sport band

I'd suggest trying to block the metal to skin contact with some tape just in case even though you said no allergy.

For workouts/running I prefer the sport loops anyway so you might consider adding one, or maybe not. BestBuy often has some decent choices of openbox OEM bands. I picked up a black reflective Nike+ sport loop for a good price that was mint - just the box was kinda crumpled. May've happened in shipping too.

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada
SB TI 44mm has landed today ...... do you ever get used to the thickness and sheer size of the AW ? just seems so 'bulky' compared to my Sea Master ....... thinking of returning it ....only worn it for 10 minutes !!

Like @deeddawg , I really don’t notice it. That’s a good thing. Especially for running. For the last 3 years I wore a Garmin Fenix 5x which is a 51mm beast. I’m enjoying the smaller and lighter profile. Screen is also easier to see for my old eyes compared to the Garmin.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Screen is also easier to see for my old eyes compared to the Garmin.

Did Garmin ever do anything about those awful transflective "color" LCD screens after the FR235 / Fenix3 models?

The old monochrome FR610 I wore for years was super easy to read, but when they switched to color LCDs the readability went to pot. (and I always wondered how they didn't get slapped with a false-advertising claim given the box and marketing materials depicts bright vibrant saturated color screens which the real displays never approached)

Reactions: wrz0170

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
No allergy - it’s where the disc sits and a numbness in my little finger !

I know you said that you don’t think the band is too tight, but it really sounds like that’s the case. Maybe try to loosen it by a notch and see if that makes a difference? Can you easily put a finger between the band and your wrist?

johnyyz

Suspended
Sep 18, 2020
Did Garmin ever do anything about those awful transflective "color" LCD screens after the FR235 / Fenix3 models?

The old monochrome FR610 I wore for years was super easy to read, but when they switched to color LCDs the readability went to pot. (and I always wondered how they didn't get slapped with a false-advertising claim given the box and marketing materials depicts bright vibrant saturated color screens which the real displays never approached)
They most certainly did not! I gave a Fenix 6 a try and the screen is crap. The box and all their marketing shows a super vibrant and crisp screen, when in reality it's anything but. Battery life is awesome on them though!

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I’m really digging the color of the light Greg band that comes with titanium. It’s too bad the sport bands don’t work for me.

I have a non-dense tattoo in that area, a remnant of some personally bad choices in my youth, and a minor consequence is that it seeks to interfere with the AW. If I wear it AT ALL loose it disconnects. (Like. Enter password, cover face, remove hand, and it’s locked again.) I have to keep it pretty snug and even then it is a bit finicky, and a tight sport band doesn’t breathe well either. The sport loop solved that being both breathable and infinitely adjustable.

I’m hoping the solo loop, silicone and or braided, solves this, and I can get one in my size.

Brookstar

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
I know you said that you don’t think the band is too tight, but it really sounds like that’s the case. Maybe try to loosen it by a notch and see if that makes a difference? Can you easily put a finger between the band and your wrist?
Yes I can get my finger in !

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
I heard of nickel allergy, there's also titanium allergy?

Seems this year titanium is more popular than last year. I wonder if Apple will keep titanium as choice for S7 or S8? I'm surprised at all the capital investment they put into ceramics that it's not offered this year. I suppose ceramics could make a comeback next year. Or perhaps Apple gave up on ceramics because they didn't sell well??

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada
They most certainly did not! I gave a Fenix 6 a try and the screen is crap. The box and all their marketing shows a super vibrant and crisp screen, when in reality it's anything but. Battery life is awesome on them though!

Agreed. Battery life on the Fenix series is amazing. I looked at the Fenix 6x Pro as a possible upgrade. My fear was being fooled again on the “crisp” screens you see in the pictures. While it doesn’t tell the whole story on resolution; the Fenix 6x Pro has a resolution of 280x280 (5x 240x240). AW6 has 368x448. It shows!

AJ44

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2019
I heard of nickel allergy, there's also titanium allergy?

Seems this year titanium is more popular than last year. I wonder if Apple will keep titanium as choice for S7 or S8? I'm surprised at all the capital investment they put into ceramics that it's not offered this year. I suppose ceramics could make a comeback next year. Or perhaps Apple gave up on ceramics because they didn't sell well??

They have only offered Ceramic on series 2, 3 and 5. My guess is it isn’t a very high seller but sells enough to offer occasionally. I bet it comes back series 8.

Ceramic and now product red are the only Apple watches I’ve owned that people ask about because they aren’t used to seeing them and they stick out. I’ve had pretty much everything but gold.

AJ44

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2019
Wait, I see the pattern now. The next ceramic watch will be series 7, not series 8. Clearly ceramic is only offered on prime numbers.

LOL, didn’t even think of that, only reason I don’t think they will offer it in 7 is I believe it will be a redesign and I understand the Ceramic molding process is a lot trickier to master.

Reactions: the future

Brookstar

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Yes I can get my finger in !

I have had it on since 7am today and after 2 hours the only way i can stop the 'weird' pain sensations are to make it really loose - which solves it - but the strap is now far too loose - i can spin it all the way round my wrist now !

it seems to be where the pin disc sits ( as the strap is double there) and also where the strap pokes back through - again its double there too

Just been looking at other straps and like to look of (but not the price) of the space black link bracelet - which i think would go nice with the SB TI - but I think it would also cure the 'pressure' issues I seem to be having

Anyone got the space black link bracelet with the SBTI ?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Just been looking at other straps and like to look of (but not the price) of the space black link bracelet - which i think would go nice with the SB TI - but I think it would also cure the 'pressure' issues I seem to be having

Anyone got the space black link bracelet with the SBTI ?

The two go very well together.

I'd still suggest you consider picking up a sport loop for the short term.

I bought my SB Link Bracelet from ebay seller "chargerstore" after reading this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...stainless-link-bands-oem-apple-bands.2138709/
Couldn't be happier.

IMG_6243.jpg
IMG_6244.jpg

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Also, @Brookstar, if you should buy a Link Bracelet, note the special instructions at the Apple link below.

It has little flex, and thus they recommend separating the bracelet into two pieces before removing from the watch. I typically do so also when putting it onto the watch.

Brookstar

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Also, @Brookstar, if you should buy a Link Bracelet, note the special instructions at the Apple link below.

It has little flex, and thus they recommend separating the bracelet into two pieces before removing from the watch. I typically do so also when putting it onto the watch.

Cheers for the info & pics
I might go stainless steel watch & stainless steel link bracelet now then as i will be using it gym so wouldn't want to risk damaging the black link exposing the silver underneath ..... just a long wait for a stainless watch now.....!!

Reactions: deeddawg

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Cheers for the info & pics
I might go stainless steel watch & stainless steel link bracelet now then as i will be using it gym so wouldn't want to risk damaging the black link exposing the silver underneath ..... just a long wait for a stainless watch now.....!!

The SB Link Bracelet is DLC coated, so it's pretty tough to damage enough to expose the underlying stainless steel.

Still, at the risk of seeming like a broken record, I again recommend a sport loop - easier to adjust band tension for different days to keep appropriate watch contact and it has a little bit of stretch, plus: no worries of damage, wicks sweat, is easily washed in a post-workout shower, and dries quickly while worn, without holding moisture against your skin.

Mostly I wear the link bracelet if I want to dress it up a little - I switch to sport loop before any runs though, and may or may not switch back depending on mood.

Reactions: Brookstar

Ericdjensen

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2019
VA
507AE6A2-EE7C-4F64-B9F0-EFB54EB736A9.jpeg

Ordered 9/21, arrived 9/28. Came from a 40mm aluminum series 5. Upgraded just because I wanted the 44mm. I have small wrists so I thought the 44mm would look weird, but it doesn’t. I figured I might as well go for a premium case as well. I love it so far. It doesn’t feel any heavier than the 40mm aluminum, lighter if anything. Pictures really don’t do it justice IMO, it looks so much better it person.

It came with the 5w brick and both sizes of the grey sport band btw

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
View attachment 961501
Ordered 9/21, arrived 9/28. Came from a 40mm aluminum series 5. Upgraded just because I wanted the 44mm. I have small wrists so I thought the 44mm would look weird, but it doesn’t. I figured I might as well go for a premium case as well. I love it so far. It doesn’t feel any heavier than the 40mm aluminum, lighter if anything. Pictures really don’t do it justice IMO, it looks so much better it person.

It came with the 5w brick and both sizes of the grey sport band btw

Nice. I’m still weeks out yet for a delivery, (mainly because I decided against the graphite with a return.) One thing I think I found interesting about your post, is that you actually said the titanium feels lighter over the aluminum, where as others have said the Ti feels slightly lighter under the stainless. So it’s amazing to see the different of perception on our wrist, but I didn’t test the Ti in stores, so I’m curious what my observation will be.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
Went to my local Apple Store in London today for a GB appointment for my SB SS Series 5.
I also wanted to see if they have the two Ti versions on display to decide which I like better (had the natural Ti on order first, which was then cancelled for a SB Ti, which is due to arrive tomorrow);

Well, I generally liked the natural Ti more but durability+being different versus my Rolex Submariner made me want to accept the SBTi after all. Not to mention that it looks really nice with the SB Link bracelet, which I received the other day.

As for the Chargerstore SB Link Bracelet- I bought one months ago and, even though it felt near enough to the real thing, I ended up selling it. The genuine SB Link bracelet has an ever so slightly different feel and a far nicer "shine" to it. My 2 cents on the matter anyhow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.