Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
so then what are the chances of a store carrying them even if it does list as pickup unavailable? ive been told they dont list pickup if supply is limited or very low
[automerge]1601587633[/automerge]
also would some be able to show a pic of the SBTi with charcoal braided loop?

Tried it on mine at an Apple Store in London the other day. Looks great

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
How were you able to get Apple Care + in monthly installments? I’ve not seen that available in the UK and it certainly did not give me that option when I went through checkout with the Titanium Apple Watch, I am genuinely curious and a little peeved if it turns out I should have had that option.

Was chatting to Apple Support over the phone. Transferred me over to the AC team, who sent me a secure link via email (and mentioned that there are two payment options)

1 being an upfront payment and the other a monthly that I would need to remember to cancel when no longer necessary.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
Depends on your intended ownership period and likelihood of utilizing AC+.

£5.99 a month for 36 months is over £215, a bit higher than the £179 up front AC+ cost.

£5.99 a month for 12 months is almost £72.

The £179 up front, cancelled after 12 months and assuming no claims, should get you around £115 refunded, for a net cost of ~£65. I'm assuming UK has similar prorated refund policies as does the US.

So you come out ahead with the prepurchased three year AC+ either if you'll retain the watch for three years or if you don't ever make a claim.

One small difference- I was told it is two years and not three.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
also would some be able to show a pic of the SBTi with charcoal braided loop?

IMG_1043.jpeg

More here

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Same with Canada. For fun, here’s my SBTi with the cactus band.
View attachment 962445

Nice. Apples fluroestamer bands are my favorite. Such a durable material, comfortable, easily adjustable and there’s so many color options now from when they first started, you can literally make the watch whatever you want to with the sport band.

Reactions: johnyyz

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
I wasn’t able to get Apple Care+ in monthly installments when I bought the watch on monthly installments. Not sure why that is a limitation but it wouldn’t let me check out until I removed it. So I just added AC+ monthly after I picked up the watch. This is in the US though, no idea about the UK.
You can combine monthly installments with monthly AC+, at least if you buy in an Apple Store.

Reactions: Nancy&co

Nancy&co

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Devon
If you purchase AppleCare+ separately after purchasing the Watch, Apple offer both the annual and monthly payment options for UK customers now.

I also choose monthly as it seems to out cheaper in the long run. £5.99 a month or £179 up front for for Ti S6.

I made the purchase via the Apple Support app. No diagnostic checks required either.
Ah right. Typical as this was the first time I decided to just get AppleCare+ at the same time as the watch, every other time I’ve always done it afterwards ??‍♀️

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
The £179 up front, cancelled after 12 months and assuming no claims, should get you around £115 refunded, for a net cost of ~£65.

Is this actually written someplace? I had an Apple Store employee tell me this once. But when I tried to get a refund when I tried to get a refund when trading a phone in that had AC+ I was told Apple no longer did this.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Is this actually written someplace? I had an Apple Store employee tell me this once. But when I tried to get a refund when I tried to get a refund when trading a phone in that had AC+ I was told Apple no longer did this.

Take a look at this page... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202704

In the fine print it has a click through so you can check the terms and conditions for your region. In the UK document for current AppleCare plans it says:

DA762390-E9F4-40F2-B099-B308B4D56520.jpeg

TDRaF

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2017
Who had aluminum and titanium? Can you compare? Which would be better for daily and cycling use looking on price and quality?

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Who had aluminum and titanium? Can you compare? Which would be better for daily and cycling use looking on price and quality?

I had a black S5 alum. I moved to the natural ti this year.

But the alum was great. It looked flawless after a year of gym use and mountain biking, and other daily use. I just kind of wanted ti. But alum is prob a much much better value hehe.

Reactions: edhchoe

TDRaF

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2017
I had a black S5 alum. I moved to the natural ti this year.

But the alum was great. It looked flawless after a year of gym use and mountain biking, and other daily use. I just kind of wanted ti. But alum is prob a much much better value hehe.
What about scratches on screen and case? Have you had any crashes with your bike and wearing apple watch?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
What about scratches on screen and case? Have you had any crashes with your bike and wearing apple watch?

The screen is kind of a trade off. The glass screen of the aluminum watch is easier to scratch, but the sapphire screen of the stainless steel and titanium watches is more prone to shattering.

Everyone I know with an aluminum watch (which granted isn’t a big sample size) has scratches on their screen. I personally have only had Apple watches with sapphire screens and even though I’m pretty hard on watches I have never had a scratch or damage to a watch screen.

However, in a bad bike crash the sapphire screen is more likely to shatter and leave the watch completely unusable whereas a glass screen might just take some scratches.

TDRaF

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2017
The screen is kind of a trade off. The glass screen of the aluminum watch is easier to scratch, but the sapphire screen of the stainless steel and titanium watches is more prone to shattering.

Everyone I know with an aluminum watch (which granted isn’t a big sample size) has scratches on their screen. I personally have only had Apple watches with sapphire screens and even though I’m pretty hard on watches I have never had a scratch or damage to a watch screen.

However, in a bad bike crash the sapphire screen is more likely to shatter and leave the watch completely unusable whereas a glass screen might just take some scratches.
I have dilemma for now - which one to choose? That’s will be my first Apple Watch so it is hard to decide.

Reactions: edhchoe

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I have dilemma for now - which one to choose? That’s will be my first Apple Watch so it is hard to decide.
If you have the money I’d strongly recommend the sapphire models. It’s a helluva lot easier to scratch an ion-x screen than it is to shatter the sapphire.

The nice thing is with the titanium models, you can get that matte look without having to go cheap on the glass. I never was a huge fan of the flashy stainless so the first few watches I had were aluminum models.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
My preferred is shiny steel, but I wanted a change so I ordered the Ti. I wanted to like the natural Ti, but I was also having trouble setting up cellular so I returned it within the 14 day period. AT&T has since told me they're having trouble with their system so my Ti was probably not defective. When I returned it the Apple rep talked me into getting the silver Al predicting that S7 will be a redesign and the Al is a good transition AW. IMO, the Al looks better now than the early series, the anodization looks better.

Since I'm planning that the Al will be a one year AW for me, I've accepted that the Ion glass will be scratched up. I had an Al AW in the past and after one year there were a few fine hairline scratches. It seems inevitable with the Ion glass. The Ion glass is more clear though, supposedly because the Ion glass doesn't reflect as much as the sapphire.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
Depends on your intended ownership period and likelihood of utilizing AC+.

£5.99 a month for 36 months is over £215, a bit higher than the £179 up front AC+ cost.

£5.99 a month for 12 months is almost £72.

The £179 up front, cancelled after 12 months and assuming no claims, should get you around £115 refunded, for a net cost of ~£65. I'm assuming UK has similar prorated refund policies as does the US.

So you come out ahead with the prepurchased three year AC+ either if you'll retain the watch for three years or if you don't ever make a claim.

Cheers for the above, ended up cancelling the monthly plan and going for the upfront payment instead. Around £65 for the year sounded too tempting to miss out on.

Reactions: deeddawg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

If you’re rather difficult in terms of how you treat your property, I would advise the aluminum model. That is, if you don’t mind dealing with scratches, but being that it’s the cheapest entry-level model, you probably wouldn’t feel as bad if you damaged that one versus the more premium stainless/titanium models.

however, if you’re somebody that is more interested in the appeal of the watch with matching with outfits/different bands (As I am), the stainless and titanium offer quite a few band options, and to add, the sapphire is highly underrated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.