Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Today’s setup. For anybody that doesn’t know yet, Buddy Watch is a treasure trove of awesome faces.

1B1BE65F-8875-4D11-9B6B-E77579E6CD7A.jpeg

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.
On page 25.....even Nicks two photos look like 2 different bands depending on the light.
Are they apple original SBss bands? I would love to spring for one but ouch the price

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
On page 25.....even Nicks two photos look like 2 different bands depending on the light.
Are they apple original SBss bands? I would love to spring for one but ouch the price

So much of this is dependent on the lighting and color temperature / white balance. My photos were under LED flat panel ceiling lighting so may well be discontinuous spectrum. I’ll try to grab a couple photos in indirect outdoor lighting tomorrow.

AFAIK mine is OEM, it’s identical to ones I’ve looked at in store side by side, but there’s always the chance I may be wrong. See https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ds.2138709/page-9?post=27932217#post-27932217

Last edited:
Reactions: Dguitarnut

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The stainless steel link band is very expensive (I have both the standard and black link bands), but they are absolutely amazing if you actually ever used one with removable links and is incredibly light weight. That said, [and not that I like to necessarily push other products over Apples OEM], but there are a lot of third-party link bands that resemble Apples, but definitely don't expect the manufacturing process and quality of that of the link band.

Reactions: Dguitarnut

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
So much of this is dependent on the lighting and color temperature / white balance. My photos were under LED flat panel ceiling lighting so may well be discontinuous spectrum. I’ll try to grab a couple photos in indirect outdoor lighting tomorrow.

AFAIK mine is OEM, it’s identical to ones I’ve looked at in store side by side, but there’s always the chance I may be wrong. See https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ds.2138709/page-9?post=27932217#post-27932217

Yup. Mine is an original SBSS link bracelet and the environment you are in can make quite the difference.

The watch and LB look very similar if not identical to me most of the time.

Nancy&co

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Devon

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
This thread and all these pictures is making me wish I hadn't returned my Space Black titanium for the Granite SS. If only I could have both...

This thread and all these pictures is making me wish I hadn't returned my Space Black titanium for the Granite SS. If only I could have both...
It’s prone to scratches
[automerge]1602268943[/automerge]
I order the same and it shows that it shipped, but UPS showing in with a Scheduled Delivery
Thursday10/15/2020

In Transit10/09/20208:20 A.M.Incheon, Korea, Republic of

View attachment 964591
Mine doesn’t even show that.

Attachments

• CF692D8B-B73A-409D-9293-90475DDACC82.jpeg
    CF692D8B-B73A-409D-9293-90475DDACC82.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 63

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
There were lots of reports last year about the DLC titanium black scratching as it’s not as durable as the space black SS

If you go back to the S5 thread though, seems like those reports were all right at the very beginning and primarily focused on in-store display models.

Then the reports stopped, and folks claimed durability.

At least that what I recall from going back through the whole thread before ordering my SBTi.

Have you seen more recent posts on the matter?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Cloudy day, but here's outdoor photos. Note how the semi-matte link bracelet does catch a lot of sky.

IMG_6398.jpeg

IMG_6399.jpeg

... and sorry for the forest of gross, but was the only way to get into some indirect shade... :p

IMG_6396.jpeg

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
If you go back to the S5 thread though, seems like those reports were all right at the very beginning and primarily focused on in-store display models.

Then the reports stopped, and folks claimed durability.

At least that what I recall from going back through the whole thread before ordering my SBTi.

Have you seen more recent posts on the matter?
No I can’t say I have except for the reports of the demo models scratching after a few hours and a reviewer getting a scratch on his watch on the first day

Reactions: deeddawg

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
No I can’t say I have except for the reports of the demo models scratching after a few hours and a reviewer getting a scratch on his watch on the first day

That's what I also saw - so I decided to take a shot and went with SBTi this time around. Just didn't care for the Graphite SS.

Time will tell. My S5 SBSS did end up with some minor scuffs when I examined it very closely in bright light before listing it on Swappa - never saw them before though. *shrug*

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
That's what I also saw - so I decided to take a shot and went with SBTi this time around. Just didn't care for the Graphite SS.

Time will tell. My S5 SBSS did end up with some minor scuffs when I examined it very closely in bright light before listing it on Swappa - never saw them before though. *shrug*
My Series 4 was a SBSS. It was mint condition after a year.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
My Series 4 was a SBSS. It was mint condition after a year.

My S4 was also SBSS. It too had a slight bit of wear after a year if viewed very closely under bright light. Other than in close examination it was mint - but I'm very forthright when selling on Swappa and won't claim mint if there's any mark no matter how hard to see.

I work in the garage, I do tons of home DIY stuff, yardwork, help move furniture around, home landscaping projects, etc. In some instances I take off my watch, but most of the time I don't.

Still far better than my aluminum S2 and S3 models which each ended up with visible-when-checking-the-time case damage within a few months that I then got to see the rest of the year. Even used a TPU case when starting on a project. Usually was a metal doorframe somewhere that'd get me. *shrug*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.