Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GogoR

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2020
First time poster, but the help of you all is much appreciated. So here it is my new 40mm S6 Ti with some of the bands... this natural ti really does go well with different bands

The silver ML is my favourite by far : )
4E121B60-B1BA-4E49-AD0F-76D7F0663327.jpeg
788A35E3-8212-4B69-84C7-29AA12F73DB6.jpeg
A294FAB4-A9DA-4DB6-96C7-BE7FD7860A36.jpeg
0D75C992-A66E-45C9-9048-448CDAE75B22.jpeg
AC5EC8A8-CB03-459F-A269-50FB53A91472.jpeg
44F21CCC-49FD-4556-8993-8C60E05F4356.jpeg

Last edited:

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
It’s prone to scratches
I’m sorry mate, but do we REALLY need to hear this ‘Graphite-is-prone-to-scratches’ message over and over again?

Geez, this is not a worldwide problem, I haven’t read any news articles about Graphites scrating. Graphite is NOT the new Jet Black. I once posted Titanium looks a bit dull, but I don’t repeat that message over and over again at every thread. You’ve started a witch hunting against Graphite whilst you never owned one.

Seriously, it’s annoying. Show me some proof this watch actually scratches as often as you say. And don’t refer to that fingernail-guy or people who actually used the ML.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I’m sorry mate, but do we REALLY need to hear this ‘Graphite-is-prone-to-scratches’ message over and over again?

Geez, this is not a worldwide problem, I haven’t read any news articles about Graphites scrating. Graphite is NOT the new Jet Black. I once posted Titanium looks a bit dull, but I don’t repeat that message over and over again at every thread. You’ve started a witch hunting against Graphite whilst you never owned one.

Seriously, it’s annoying. Show me some proof this watch actually scratches as often as you say. And don’t refer to that fingernail-guy or people who actually used the ML.
I did a Google search on scratches for the graphite and found absolutely nothing other than people that have used the ML loop and the guy that thought he made a scratch with his finger nail. You can’t scratch a DLC coating with a finger nail. He is now convinced that it must’ve happened at the factory. Stainless steel coated with DLC is just as durable if not more durable then titanium coated with DLC. Titanium is a much softer metal

Reactions: AJ44 and the future

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
I did a Google search on scratches for the graphite and found absolutely nothing other than people that have used the ML loop and the guy that thought he made a scratch with his finger nail. You can’t scratch a DLC coating with a finger nail. He is now convinced that it must’ve happened at the factory. Stainless steel coated with DLC is just as durable if not more durable then titanium black coated with DLC. Titanium is a much softer metal
That’s exactly my opinion. I tried to do some extensive searching, but didn’t find much.

My dad has a titanium watch (not an Apple Watch) and he showed me his watch. It is FULL of scratches. “If you want to drill a hole in it, you won’t succeed. If you scratch it, it is as smooth as butter”, my dad said.

It also means the SBTi should be some stronger due to DLC coating than the natural Ti. The natural Ti should be able to be polished a bit, but deeper scratches won’t go away.

Of course, everyone can choose for himself what Watch they want. But stop this Graphite-is-sensitive-rumours. It’s not true at all. Better live with the Graphite color, as some new iPhones also most probably will feature that color (and not Space Black). And yes, I think Apple DID learn from Jet Black.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Just remember ya first gotta get thru the DLC...

The dearth of recent reports of damaged SBTi leads me to think it’s more durable than one might otherwise think.

there’s also the unknown of what alloy is used, and that can also have an effect.

Best I can say is I just don”t know. Worst case, when I replace it I’ll use the trade in vs selling on Swappa for more $$$.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
But if you don’t need it then how is it a bonus? It‘s just something that’s going to sit in a drawer taking up space or wind up in a landfill.

I initially misunderstood when i ordered. I thought the cheaper version didn’t come with the cable or adapter. I usually never even take the adapter out of the box.

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
I've had the SBTi for several days, and my early verdict is

Get it if:

-You prefer a matte finish over a glossy finish (probably the most important!)
-You like a lighter weight on your wrist. This is especially useful for going for a run or playing sport, or even sleeping
-You like the 'brushed' look, however subtle it is, its quite elegant
-You will benefit from the free extra year of standard warranty and/or like the exclusive Sport Band that comes with it

Do not get if:

-You want a Special Edition Apple Watch that will stand out as something completely different to the public. Thats the Ceramic, which currently isn't available - Titanium's lustre is much more subtle, and I understand what many people mean when they say "it looks like Aluminium" - well, no, it actually doesn't, they look quite different, but I see what causes people to say that.

-You're accident-prone and likely to damage it - not only are replacement costs steep, the AppleCare+ is also even steeper than for other Watches, for both the plan as well as the service fee

But otherwise so far, first Apple Watch edition, I like it, I love that, how like Graphite SS, it has the effect with lighting depending how light or dark the situation is, it can have two different looks, like a chameleon. It can either take on SBSS' appearance of a full black body indoors (albeit matte look instead of gloss), or it can look lighter in the sun and you see the brush effect. It's neat. Coming from SS, the difference in weight is a very welcome change.

mrwilly25

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
After having my SBTi S6 for 3 days now, definitely love the fact that I don't have to wipe away my fingerprints that would always appear on my SBSS S4.

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.
I still can’t decide which titanium S6 to pick up next week. I have an SS5 and wanted a black titanium but I’m afraid I will miss the silver color too much. If I get the SBTi I will keep my SS5 I guess.

AJ44

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2019
I still can’t decide which titanium S6 to pick up next week. I have an SS5 and wanted a black titanium but I’m afraid I will miss the silver color too much. If I get the SBTi I will keep my SS5 I guess.

I kept my S5Ti when I got my S6SBTi, it’s a great combo.

Reactions: Dguitarnut

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Counterpoint, get black because it won’t scratch easily like the natural.

Excellent counterpoint. I’m still blown away Apple doesn’t mark at the DLC more, and I think that’s partially because they realize it’s still not enough of a selling point for consumers to spend almost $1000 on an Apple Watch. It’s really intended for a small percentage of their luxury brand segment for the watch users.

iRondi

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I will soon have my AW6 natural titanium. I tried to talk myself out of Titanium but I couldn’t. It seems crazy to spend $300 more for a finish, but over a year, that’s less than a $1 a day. I love the way it looks. Very different to the Aluminium. I both hate and love the waiting. Hope to post pictures soon!

Reactions: Nancy&co

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.
The all black with sb link bracelet looks like storm trooper worthy!. I am leaning this way right now but when I pick it up at the apple store I will see which one ‘SPEAKS’ to me. I’m a real watch nut and 90% of the traditional watches have been stainless steel or natural Titanium. Titanium was the best choice when I was on my Panerai binge cause they are such honkers. As a side note the most beautiful 35mm camera I owned was a limited edition Nikon F3 natural Titanium. Ohh I see .......sneaky intervention by the natural titanium side! Lol

Attachments

• 4B85B519-7E7D-4C0C-88AD-55DEF8AF3239.jpeg
    4B85B519-7E7D-4C0C-88AD-55DEF8AF3239.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: deeddawg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.