Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

er2429

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
This may be an obvious question, but wouldn’t the black level and contrast largely be affected when the screen is actively diffusing background light? Meaning that the picture between the displays (normal vs nano) would be similar in darker conditions?
This is actually an excellent question. Has anyone managed to use this in a really dark room? Anyone have a photo to give an idea of this?

micr0

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
That segment with the flower image side by side is the best comparison I’ve seen online so far. Definitely prefer the look of the nano.

Reactions: the future

athenodorus

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
Anybody tried applying a screen protector to the nano?

I know it doesn't make super sense, just curious to know what's the interaction between the nano treatment and different types of screen protectors (paperlike, matte, glossy).
If a screen protector does not affect the nano texture significantly, then I guess I will keep my nano texture model. Right now I’m kinda torn whether to return mine or not with the concern of needing to baby it compared to standard glass.

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
This is actually an excellent question. Has anyone managed to use this in a really dark room? Anyone have a photo to give an idea of this?
Black levels and color saturation are indeed affected with the extra diffusion. In a dark room, the nano texture and regular screens will effectively be the same. Like many here, I ordered the nano textured 1TB 13" right away. I got to see both the screens side by side today at the Apple Store and now just ordered one with the standard glass off Amazon for delivery Saturday.

I do occasionally find the reflective nature of my current iPad Pro (3rd gen) to be less than ideal, but most of the time I'm in surroundings where this isn't an issue. I liked the matte aspect of the nano texture screen and how it mitigated much (not all) of the harsh reflections while at the store, but it does have that trade-off of slightly less definition and when light is being diffused across the surface, it comes at a compromise to contrast, color vibrancy and fine detail.

That said, I opted to save the $100 and have my iPad this weekend rather than wait another 10 days for that nano texture one... OK, I still have the nano-texture one on order and I may still let it ship to me. But for now I'm planning to cancel that order.

EDIT> Wanted to add that there was a very slight, all but imperceptible difference to the feel of the two screens. The nano texture offers absolutely no difference in feel when using the Pencil. Nano being the operative word here in terms of the texturing and it didn't seem to handle fingerprints any differently or any better than the standard glass.

Last edited:

andrewj

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
I went to the store and compared nano v. plain. I initially went in thinking I'd go with the nano, but after comparing side-by-side, I went with the plain. The plain one has better contrast, black is blacker (it seems kind of black gray on the nano), and the text is somewhat crisper on the plain.

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
my data point…

Went to Apple Store, checked out both. I was pretty happy with the clarity of the nano texture - text and image was way crisper and not pixilated at all really. But then even with iPad in a low lit area or in a shadow, the black areas of the screen looked grey as the ambient light in the room was being diffused across the screen. The blacks on the standard glass were amazing. I couldn’t resist that, and went with 1TB standard silver with white iPad.

And off topic - but even deciding what color iPad and keyboard to get was a hard enough choice and I don’t think I’ll ever feel settled with the choice till the return period ends (they both look good).

But I am pretty confident the nano texture wasn’t for me - it cancelled out one of the best upgrades (the display and improved contrast ratio) this year.

Reactions: transmaster

NYCVB

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2016
I’m sitting in front of a nano and regular screen in a moderately well lit room (one ceiling light no outside lighting) Trying to decide between the two. Not noticing too much of a difference between the two watching a few minutes of a movie on YouTube (Maze Runner I think it was). Text seems good on both, maybe a little blurrier on the nano? Just a very brief few minute test. I’ll put on my prescription eyeglasses and try again tomorrow, and in different lighting. I don’t think the difference is big enough for me to make an obvious decision yet. Waiting for real tests to be done on both since I think a lot of people’s perceptions are going to be subjective…meaning that if I do the same test tomorrow I might think differently.

Looking at my Home Screen of both I honestly do not see a difference in the blacks!

The screen on the nano feels smoother when I run my finger or pen over it, definitely a bit better.

ToonDoom

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
Minor update from me having had the nano for last few days. I love it. It’s the number one improvement on the iPad for me. Outside it is phenomenal. My wife immediately was wow and said she wanted one.

I was looking forward to the weight decrease and that is less than I’d hoped. Still nice but not wow.

In second place for improvements is the touchpad click. It’s so much quieter. I’m now allowed to use it when my wife is watching TV 😂

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
Does the Nano texture on the iPad have a grainy and fuzzy appearance, as it does on the Studio Display?

I guess I can go to the Apple Store tomorrow and take a look at it, but I'm just curious. I did not at all like the Nano texture on the Studio Display, so if this is the same, I think I will choose not to Nano.

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
Does the Nano texture on the iPad have a grainy and fuzzy appearance, as it does on the Studio Display?

I guess I can go to the Apple Store tomorrow and take a look at it, but I'm just curious. I did not at all like the Nano texture on the Studio Display, so if this is the same, I think I will choose not to Nano.
I’d say the clarity is great with nano texture.

But the blacks aren’t as black. I also noticed wiping away an oily fingerprint was more difficult with the nano texture, although I wasn’t using the special cloth. On the standard display, fingerprints easily wiped off with a t shirt.

Reactions: VisceralRealist

MadeInBaveria

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024

I would say reading text on white background (e.g. in mail or notes) is visibly blurrier on the Nano display. For me, this is the biggest disadvantage of the Nano display. But if you don't read or write a lot of text on the Nano display, the Nano is a great option

Reactions: VisceralRealist

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
I really thought I’d be returning my iPad to get the glossy screen but I love the nano! If text is blurrier I don’t notice it and I use my iPad a lot for email and Pages documents. Videos have been fine too so I’m very pleased I ordered it.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I switched my order from nano to normal. Although I would have no problem only wiping it with the included cloth I’m just worried about long-term durability. Same as it would be on a factory-painted matte car. Maintenance can be a real pain on those and I’m just worried about the glass smoothing out over time. The last thing I would want is to get out of warranty for the iPad and then have to pay to get the screen replaced. Changing my order also allows me to get the iPad at launch instead of sometime near the middle or end of June. I was really yearning for a matte screen but I don’t want to be the guinea pig on this one. Apple already got me with the Vision Pro lol.
The latest MacBreak Weekly covered this issue and their consensus that unless you plan to use the iPad outside don't get the Nano screen because it does effect the view in a small negative way. Basically there are small number of people who need this feature and they know who they are. If you are not sure don't get it. If you look on Amazon there are numerous anti-glare removable screen covers that do the same job for real cheap.

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
I have the standard glass but I wonder why so many people say, just take an anti-glare cover and you have the same result. There are several videos already online, that shows how much better the results with the nano are compared to a standard matte screen cover.

Also I dont think that the nano is only for a small number of people. There are so many scenarios where the nano will really help a lot. People just have to decide how and where they use the iPad the most and then go for nano or not.

Mindfighter

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020
Debated with myself, but got a nano and WOW it is amazing, it’s an improvement indoors but now it also works great sitting on the patio, bet it’ll be great on airplanes etc. so glad I choose it in the end and can’t for the life of me understand the argument ”slap a cheapo screen protector on there”, why do you buy a 2k device just to ruin that piece of engineering with a screen protector.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I'm a math teacher. I use my iPad Pro as a virtual whiteboard, connecting to a projector if teaching in person or to Zoom if teaching online. It works great for this.

For me, the biggest shortcoming is that due to the slippery screen, my handwriting doesn't look good. I'm always pursuing various solutions; currently I'm using Astropad's Rock Paper pencil.

So like many here, I've been wondering if the iPad with the nano screen would address this issue. Today I went to the Apple Store, and while there I tried out an iPad with a nano screen that was on display. To my surprise, the screen felt slippery, and my handwriting was worse on the nano than on the regular screen. It was a bit of a relief; getting the nano version would have cost me an extra $700 (I don't need more than 256 GB of RAM).

I don't doubt that the nano-screen works great for other people and other applications. But I guess the moral of the story is you can watch all the YouTube videos and read all the articles you like, but in the end you have to try it out for yourself.

Reactions: profH and klasma

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Debated with myself, but got a nano and WOW it is amazing, it’s an improvement indoors but now it also works great sitting on the patio, bet it’ll be great on airplanes etc. so glad I choose it in the end and can’t for the life of me understand the argument ”slap a cheapo screen protector on there”, why do you buy a 2k device just to ruin that piece of engineering with a screen protector.
I like the nano a lot. It's too bad they don't offer it in the lower storage tiers. It's very useful wherever there are bright lights.

Reactions: klasma

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The way I will use my iPad would make the nano screen superfluous. The only use I would have for this iPad outside is to run a remote amatuer radio field station and the software does not exist for the iPadOS. a Microsoft surface rules for this application.

Molson1020

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
I originally purchased a 1TB Standard Display iPad, and it looked gorgeous. But after checking the Apple Store app, saw that a local store had a 1TB Nano Textured iPad in stock, so I ordered and had it delivered.

I immediately set up a return for my Standard Display. The Nano Texture is absolutely brilliant, and in a darkened room (living room with curtains closed), I cannot tell the difference. But in light conditions, having no reflections is a game changer and the image I feel pops even more BECAUSE you don't have the reflections. It's kind of weird.

I also prefer how it feels to move my finger on the Nano Texture vs. the Standard. Nano is way smoother, and so far, fingerprints are far less than my standard display. Also, the difference with the pencil isn't huge, but it is noticeable in a good way.

For anyone who is on the fence, I can't recommend the Nano Texture enough. Very happy I was able to snag one and return my Standard within my return window.

tim1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
I got a 13 inch iPad Pro with nano texture and want to pick up another one. Seems like there is no stock anywhere of nano texture. clearly a very popular item.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I got a 13 inch iPad Pro with nano texture and want to pick up another one. Seems like there is no stock anywhere of nano texture. clearly a very popular item.
Yes - seems to be out of stock by since end of opening day. Wish they would get some more in, as a long wait to order one. Think Apple may have underestimated the amount of people that would want the nano and also pay that much for it too. Unless they get a lot of returns.

Reactions: klasma
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.