Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
How would that work? Genuine question as wondering about something to put over a white MK to protect but would want to be clear or white.

They are both great iPads!

I had on my lap sitting up in bed last night and thought it worked fairly well but I've never found an laptop comfortable on lap in upright sitting position to be fair. Though also I tend to lounge horizontally on the sofa or use at the kitchen table so not.

My issue with the MK is that it doesn't appear to fold right back behind the iPad like a folio case does. I presume this is because the keyboard would be exposed but I'd like to be able to use like that (e.g. when reading kindle/eBooks).

Yeah angle wise it seemed to be more limited

Skin wise they are fairly easy to set up. If you want to cover the back and front

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
Having decided it is a keeper, I tried to add AppleCare today but couldn't find a way to apply the edu discount (-£20) via the education online store or from the device.

I went into an Apple Store to pickup a case and asked if they could do it. AppleCare still showed as full price on their system right up until the final payment screen at which point the discount was applied.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
Do I even need yet another Smart Folio case 🤔. I am picking up the M4, pencil & MKB from JL after work, I never subscribed to the previous MKBs, but had a great experience with the Keychron keyboard.

Upgrading from M1 12.9

Reactions: Tybull

Tybull

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Wales U.K
I’m not an Apple yes man but I am over the moon with my ipad 13 M4 upgrade from my ipad 12.9 M1 which i had no complaints only being a little dark. I don’t go over board on the weight what’s a lb or 2 its nothing. The colour and the speed on the new ipad is crazy Love it

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
My issue with the MK is that it doesn't appear to fold right back behind the iPad like a folio case does. I presume this is because the keyboard would be exposed but I'd like to be able to use like that (e.g. when reading kindle/eBooks).
This was the primary reason I got the Logitech instead. You can completely detach the keyboard, or reverse it so you can fold it underneath and the keyboard side upwards and the case is face down on the table.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
So far I am loving using the 13 Pro without a screen protector. It seems so much better. In the past I have always put a PaperLike screen protector on (cause all the YouTubers tell me too!! ) but so far it’s much better without. So don’t think I’ll bother this time.

One thing I have noticed, and not heard anyone else mention it, is that when in landscape mode the volume up and down are the other way to the 12.9 Pro? I mean the button on the right now increases the volume whereas on my 12.9 the right button decreased it? Anyone else noticed this?

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
This was the primary reason I got the Logitech instead. You can completely detach the keyboard, or reverse it so you can fold it underneath and the keyboard side upwards and the case is face down on the table.
Yeah am all style over substance as did not really like the look of the Logitech!

Anybody struggle to find cases? I tried all supermarkets. Argos one didn’t fit. Most phone shops have those cheap eBay ones mostly for 9 inch tablets. In the end I have another coming from Amazon today so 2nd time lucky hopefully. Surely people still use tablets for there to be some in retail stores?

Yes but I think everything was running late with these models so I guess they are too. Or it is a smart move by Apple to get people buying their top dollar folio cases.

Do I even need yet another Smart Folio case 🤔. I am picking up the M4, pencil & MKB from JL after work, I never subscribed to the previous MKBs, but had a great experience with the Keychron keyboard.

Upgrading from M1 12.9

Am getting seriously tempted which is ridiculous as I also have the IPP, M4MK and Pro Pencil. Also I swore off buying Apple iPhone cases after the leather ones. Pattina effect my ***!

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
Not yet purchased but in store (JL and Apple) they sit next to the air and with both on full brightness it really downgrades the Air and shows massively vs the quite poor air desktop background. I was going to go for the Air but now decided on the Pro.

Reactions: Tybull

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
One thing I have noticed, and not heard anyone else mention it, is that when in landscape mode the volume up and down are the other way to the 12.9 Pro? I mean the button on the right now increases the volume whereas on my 12.9 the right button decreased it? Anyone else noticed this?
Yes, on newer models Apple made the buttons work differently depending on orientation, presumably to make it consistent with the direction of the on-screen volume slider. Personally I find it counterintuitive and very annoying. It’s called “dynamic volume buttons”, and there used to be a setting to turn it off (“Fixed Position Volume Controls”), but Apple has removed that setting on iPad models released after 2021.

Strangely, they haven’t done this on iPhone, which is one more thing that breaks muscle memory between iPhone and iPad.

Last edited:

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
So far I am loving using the 13 Pro without a screen protector. It seems so much better. In the past I have always put a PaperLike screen protector on (cause all the YouTubers tell me too!! ) but so far it’s much better without. So don’t think I’ll bother this time.

Yeah, I used paperlike for a while and, while it was excellent for a pleasant writing surface I didn’t like the way it dulled the screen so I gave up on it.
When I saw the new screen option for the iPros (not in person) it really looks very similar to paper like.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland

Agree but I've never put a screen protector on an iPad. The volume buttons are annoying and was looking briefly last night to see how to change around as well as the scroll up/down on the track pack. I prefer to set to flick up to move to scroll up and not down. You can usually change this on a laptop.

Not yet purchased but in store (JL and Apple) they sit next to the air and with both on full brightness it really downgrades the Air and shows massively vs the quite poor air desktop background. I was going to go for the Air but now decided on the Pro.

I agree as ordered both to compare . I still think that the Air is decent and if you didn't compare would likely be happy but went for the Pro. So basically try not to compare if your budget doesn't stretch to the Pro and you

Reactions: AVBeatMan

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
This case looks good but £50 :rolleyes: Will add to my Amazon basket and hope that once more cases come out it drops in price (ideally to less than the £36 the 2022 version is currently!)

crypthick

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2023
Yeah, I’m babying mine till I can find the one that works for me, worst launch for cases I’ve seen. Feels like Apple have been very late giving manufacturers the specs this time.
Anybody struggle to find cases? I tried all supermarkets. Argos one didn’t fit. Most phone shops have those cheap eBay ones mostly for 9 inch tablets. In the end I have another coming from Amazon today so 2nd time lucky hopefully. Surely people still use tablets for there to be some in retail stores?
I bought an ESR one which is ‘ok’… hoping more choices come out during the ESR return window so I can swap to something of better quality.

boultonn

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2017
London
Wow, what a machine. 13” with MK and I have barely stopped using it today.
Seeing similar problem as others with limited cases as I’d like a cheap silicon one to use if I take it for a workout.
Other than that, don’t know what else to say, lovely upgrade from my 2018 11“.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
You don’t say which carrier you’re referring to - or a general comment. I’m on a pay monthly with EE and I’ve read that they don’t offer PAYG eSIM.
Even monthly with EE is a ballache, tried transferring the eSIM from my M1 and it says not supported on my M4
that my account isn’t eligible for eSIM transfer, and this was a sim they but on for me in store so I could transfer it on release day

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
This case looks good but £50 :rolleyes: Will add to my Amazon basket and hope that once more cases come out it drops in price (ideally to less than the £36 the 2022 version is currently!)

As you’re keeping the 2024 Pro, I don’t think that’ll fit. 2020/22/24 Air yes, interchangeable with the 2018/20/21/22 Pros (with the earliest Pro and the Airs having part of the back exposed where the camera is smaller, but on the 2024 Pro they seem to have changed magnet placement and the camera module slightly so that it’s necessary to buy new cases.

Riffz60

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
UK people is there anywhere doing for a decent 0% financing deal? 12-36 months. Paypal credit is usually good for this but can’t seem to find anywhere that does more than the 4 months.

It’s a shame Apple no longer does this outside of their phones. Thanks 👍

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
UK people is there anywhere doing for a decent 0% financing deal? 12-36 months. Paypal credit is usually good for this but can’t seem to find anywhere that does more than the 4 months.
I don’t think you will find anything like that with current inflation.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester

It’s a shame Apple no longer does this outside of their phones. Thanks 👍
KRCS do 12 months interest free

Reactions: The Game 161

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
Yeah am all style over substance as did not really like the look of the Logitech!

Yes but I think everything was running late with these models so I guess they are too. Or it is a smart move by Apple to get people buying their top dollar folio cases.

Am getting seriously tempted which is ridiculous as I also have the IPP, M4MK and Pro Pencil. Also I swore off buying Apple iPhone cases after the leather ones. Pattina effect my ***!
Unfortunately , the M1 Smart Folio is a terrible fit for the M4 13; it basically slides off as it’s also paper weight 😙. So ordered the denim folio to deliver 2moro! I figured the iPad will not permanently attach to the MKB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.