Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Has anyone found a UK network that offers eSIMS for PAYG Data?

Annoyed as I bought a 120GB/12 month SIM card last month for my old iPad and apparently EE won't convert it to an eSIM so have to find something else

I can’t find one anywhere. Main reason I didn’t get a cellular iPad is the lack of eSIM in the UK.

Tybull

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Wales U.K
When i type a blue square appears around the box when i use the apple Magic Keyboard on iPad Pro 13.
Any ideas please

MacMandy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
First trip out! 😎
cid:6E24E0DB-D0BB-4775-B0C0-83767ADE40D2.jpeg

Gadger Snr

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
I can’t find one anywhere. Main reason I didn’t get a cellular iPad is the lack of eSIM in the UK.
I'm using my EE Unlimited data for my iPhone (15 Pro Max) and just ordered the smallest monthly SIM, 5GB, for a 24-month contract, which works out with the multi-line discount to £10.50 per month. From this, I'm allowed to transfer from my main iPhone EE Unlimited data up to 100GB per month, and this is an eSIM as well.

jameseld82

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2018
London Uk
Popped in the Apple store to check out the new Pros. Both the 13” and 11” are incredible with amazing oled screens. However I’m not sure currently if it’s worth changing from my M2 12.9 pro. It is really something I need to think about before committing.

PR.

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
Bedford, UK
I'm using my EE Unlimited data for my iPhone (15 Pro Max) and just ordered the smallest monthly SIM, 5GB, for a 24-month contract, which works out with the multi-line discount to £10.50 per month. From this, I'm allowed to transfer from my main iPhone EE Unlimited data up to 100GB per month, and this is an eSIM as well.
Tried asking Three about this on their web chat and they had no idea what I was talking about so gave up. Can't even find anything on Three's site about family accounts or additional SIMS.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Back to the WiFi or Cellular debate; I am away for 5 days and am just downloading some TV to watch offline (even though I’ll be able to tether my iPad to my iPhone). Have downloaded 4 TV shows, 4 movies and 4 documentaries. I know I won’t need that much to watch, it’s just nice to have just in case.

Anyway, the point of this post is, why would anyone need a cellular iPad? Is it just those who cannot (for any reason tether to their iPhone) or those who need to use their iPad in the middle of nowhere?

I get the feeling that it’s mostly the US who buy cellular. I al also posting this there also.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I spend 30 hours a week away from wifi. iPad might be used intermittently for 3 minutes or 48 minutes or 2 hours or 7 minutes or 30 seconds to check/save/send something. Tethering would be an absolute pain in the arse for me, it's good for specific, long intervals but not for irregular bursts. Even then, you're draining your phone and reliant on remembering to leave phone on tethering screen so it doesn't time out.

Cellular was a huge motivator for me to move away from mac laptops for on the go use.

It's absolutely not for everyone, but for those of us it is for, it is LIGHT YEARS better than tethering. Having an always connected device when you're away from wifi (note: I never use public wifi for its myriad pitfalls and shortcomings) is transformational. Tethering doesn't come close to the experience, and anyone who has use for cellular will tell you the same.

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
Finally made a decision on which colour ..............or have I?!

Although I really liked the Space Black and black keyboard I decided that the overall aesthetic of the Silver and White MK was probably more me and in keeping with other items. So took the black back to the store for refund yesterday and now regretting :rolleyes:

Another factor that is swaying me to swap (again) is the chat above re cellular and I think in retrospect I should have gotten that (instead of the Pro Pencil!) I could return the pencil and then the net difference for the cellular is only about £80.

Now trying to reset my EE perks password to get F&F discount but not managing too well so if anyone has a promo code I'd be really grateful if the DM it to me as I need to upgrade my monthly iPhone sim only plan and it will work well if I add the iPad eSim as a second line. TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_1492.jpeg
    IMG_1492.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 33

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK

Although I really liked the Space Black and black keyboard I decided that the overall aesthetic of the Silver and White MK was probably more me and in keeping with other items. So took the black back to the store for refund yesterday and now regretting :rolleyes:

Another factor that is swaying me to swap (again) is the chat above re cellular and I think in retrospect I should have gotten that (instead of the Pro Pencil!) I could return the pencil and then the net difference for the cellular is only about £80.

Now trying to reset my EE perks password to get F&F discount but not managing too well so if anyone has a promo code I'd be really grateful if the DM it to me as I need to upgrade my monthly iPhone sim only plan and it will work well if I add the iPad eSim as a second line. TIA!
Mix and match? Black iPad if you like the colour and white keyboard? That way only one swap to do, getting the cellular if you want it.

Space Black will probably change to grey again in a future generation, whereas Silver is always there.

That silver surround on the white keyboard looks so good and the black almost brown in some photos (not sure if it is fingerprints.)

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
Apologies for a slight hijack but relevant to me purchasing a Pro shortly in the UK and it is regarding eSim.

I do have an O2 sim in my current iPad but it does not work in Europe so when I travel there I have in the past bought a 3 sim preloaded which works ok, though not particularly well. If i now have an eSim only on a new M4 Pro can I switch from my UK O2 sim to another like 3 or EE when abroad and then back to O2 in the UK when I return?

Many thanks.

Tybull

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Wales U.K

No f&f on iPads now

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
Mix and match? Black iPad if you like the colour and white keyboard? That way only one swap to do, getting the cellular if you want it.

Space Black will probably change to grey again in a future generation, whereas Silver is always there.

That silver surround on the white keyboard looks so good and the black almost brown in some photos (not sure if it is fingerprints.)

I tried mix and matching when I had all but didn’t like it!

No f&f on iPads now

It’s not for the iPad - it’s for upgrading my sim only account and adding 2nd data only sim to same account.

Reactions: Tybull

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
Apologies for a slight hijack but relevant to me purchasing a Pro shortly in the UK and it is regarding eSim.

I do have an O2 sim in my current iPad but it does not work in Europe so when I travel there I have in the past bought a 3 sim preloaded which works ok, though not particularly well. If i now have an eSim only on a new M4 Pro can I switch from my UK O2 sim to another like 3 or EE when abroad and then back to O2 in the UK when I return?

Many thanks.
There are, I believe, 8 esims on the iPad and iPhones now so you can have both loaded at same time but just switch which one you are using for data depending where you are.

Settings>mobile service>mobile data

MacMandy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
How is it for typing? I have a MBA M2 but would love the 11” for occasional trips out. Never owned a Magic Keyboard before either.
I find it fine. I have fairly dainty hands and fingers though. The actual letter keys seem very similar size and spacing as the 13”, but the space bar and outer keys are smaller. The trackpad is smaller too, but I was ok with the last gen and it’s larger now. Best to try it out if you can. I got used to it quite quickly.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
Did you use a physical sim card with your iPad or an eSim? I might be doing this as well

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
What case/screen protectors are you guys using for your iPad? There are not many options available in the UK it seems...

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
What case/screen protectors are you guys using for your iPad? There are not many options available in the UK it seems...
Well if anyone wants what looks to be a heavy, heavy duty protective case, the Zagg Denali looks about bullet proof. I've only seen Zaggs listing as out of stock. But my guess is that is still under productions. Also Zagg seems to be offering a variety of screen protectors.

I owned an earlier Zagg case for my M1 MacBook Pro. Very protective, but relatively heavy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.