Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garysteel

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
Its now in Heathrow..with delivery still the 28th but funnily Apple store page for delivery details now says Delivery delayed !!! OMG what is happening...I'm assuming delivery Mon.

If i add the watch without deleting the old watch will it transfer similar settings or am I best to delete old watch and that way force a back up and then pair but restoring from backup from S4 to new S6 - do it so infrequently i'm loosing track of best way forward here ?

Tak
G

Richardlench

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
Its now in Heathrow..with delivery still the 28th but funnily Apple store page for delivery details now says Delivery delayed !!! OMG what is happening...I'm assuming delivery Mon.

If i add the watch without deleting the old watch will it transfer similar settings or am I best to delete old watch and that way force a back up and then pair but restoring from backup from S4 to new S6 - do it so infrequently i'm loosing track of best way forward here ?

Tak
G
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think you need to:
Un-pair your current watch (forcing a backup)
pair new watch
restore from backup

That’s what I’m planning to do, anyway. I assume it’s right.

Reactions: garysteel

garysteel

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
pair new watch
restore from backup

hmm...thats what i thought but wasn't sure it the process had changed :) making easier ;)

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Anyone know what happens if I try to restore from a watchOS version that’s more recent, i,e backup made on 7.0.1, restore to watch on watchOS 7.0.0?

iSimon

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
Glasgow
Anyone know what happens if I try to restore from a watchOS version that’s more recent, i,e backup made on 7.0.1, restore to watch on watchOS 7.0.0?
I believe it will just update the watch to 7.0.1 first and then do the restore.

garysteel

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
Been there before, you want the firmwares to match; i've updated my watch previously to a newer version than on the watch when delivered and had to set it up as new install, then update firmware then start the pairing again but maybe they made it easier

Last edited:
Reactions: ct2k7

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
My delivery has slipped until Tuesday which is fine as I’m on night shift on Monday but it’s not been a great experience

Reactions: joey_bigpuss

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
South England
My new watch is finishing off its prearrival holiday with a stint in Brussels. I imagine it’s having a last big night out. Looking forward to getting home from work to it on Monday ??

I agree with those saying it’s been a bit of an elaborate ride tracking these deliveries, but I reckon - all things Covid considered - it ain’t really a surprise. Hardly a year that’s judgeable by the usual standards.

I always have to go in store for the iUP process, so hopefully that won’t be as Covid hindered a process when it rolls around ?

Reactions: eddie24

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I’m deliberately not updating mine to 7.0.1 so I don’t have this issue.

Reactions: garysteel

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
Watching events unfold for the Forever in Eindhoven Gang would have been entertaining if I wasn’t lagging a few days behind waiting for Forever in Eindhoven Gang 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Ordered on the 18th and expected delivery date (via DHL) is either 2/10 (website) or 6/10-8/10 (app).

Currently at the dreaded ‘Shipment Information Received’ stage. All seems far too familiar!

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Watching events unfold for the Forever in Eindhoven Gang would have been entertaining if I wasn’t lagging a few days behind waiting for Forever in Eindhoven Gang 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Ordered on the 18th and expected delivery date (via DHL) is either 2/10 (website) or 6/10-8/10 (app).

Currently at the dreaded ‘Shipment Information Received’ stage. All seems far too familiar!
Yeah you are in the same boat as me as I have those two dates as well. I’m quietly confident that we will see our watches on the 1st

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
Yeah you are in the same boat as me as I have those two dates as well. I’m quietly confident that we will see our watches on the 1st

I was thinking the same? But my partners delivery date has stubbornly stuck to its original estimate of 28/9 (also part of the Eindhoven gang), so I don’t know when the hell it’ll turn up.

dannymcg

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
London, UK
Been there before, you want the firmwares to match; i've updated my watch previously to a newer version than on the watch when delivered and had to set it up as new install, then update firmware then start the pairing again but maybe they made it easier
I had this exact same problem today. Had to setup as a new watch as my backup from the old watch following unpairing wasn’t visible. Annoying.

petev

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
did anyone's package move past the "departed facility in brussels" this weekend? because for me that's still the latest one :(

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
pair new watch
restore from backup

Having done this last night, the best process is;

1. Open Watch app > General > About > Name [Give your current AW a unique/identifiable name]

2. Perform a backup on the iPhone of which the old AW is connected to. (The AW is backed up through iPhone backup)

3. Open Watch app > All Watches > Add Watch

4. Follow the prompts/instructions to add your new AW until installed

5. Watch app > All Watches > Identify OLD AW from unique name given at start > Tap the circled ! > Unpair Apple Watch

6. iPhone > Settings > [your name] > If your old AW is displayed, tap on it and ‘Remove from account’

7. Enjoy your new watch!

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

lnpbk

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
did anyone's package move past the "departed facility in brussels" this weekend? because for me that's still the latest one :(
Mine says processed in Brussels at 04:05 yesterday. Nothing since. Still estimating delivery tomorrow though

Reactions: petev

Richardlench

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016

1. Open Watch app > General > About > Name [Give your current AW a unique/identifiable name]

2. Perform a backup on the iPhone of which the old AW is connected to. (The AW is backed up through iPhone backup)

5. Watch app > All Watches > Identify OLD AW from unique name given at start > Tap the circled ! > Unpair Apple Watch

6. Enjoy your new watch!
Thanks. I'll try this tomorrow.

Reactions: Hallstar

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England

6. iPhone > Settings > [your name] > If your old AW is displayed, tap on it and ‘Remove from account’

7. Enjoy your new watch!
I will unpair keeping the data plan and then re-pair. When I get my new watch, I will restore from the new back up, call EE, give them the new EID number so they can move my data plan to the new watch. Then factory reset my old watch using the settings on the watch itself removing the data plan so that it can be sold with no issues

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I ordered a silver SS from Apple last Friday and it was due to come Friday just gone. Tracking changed to delayed with DHL and it now has no delivery date. Apple chat were unable to clarify or help in any way and suggested I contact DHL myself to chase (thanks Apple).

Meanwhile I went onto Amazon yesterday and ordered a second silver SS which came today so I will be refusing Apples delivery whenever it decides to show up! Amazing how Amazon were able to deliver Apples new watch far quicker and more efficiently than Apple could.

Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.