Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
View attachment 2080419

48 hours in - I'm happy. 5 hours outdoor activity recording this weekend. worn all other times except when showering. Using cellular streaming Apple Music when at the gym each day.

Normally I'll charge it every day when I jump on my trainer for an hour but just wanted to see how this would do over the weekend.

See you all again when they release that ultra low power mode and we test that out lol
AOD was on or off?

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Got my watch Friday, charged to 100% I began wearing it at 4pm friday.
Ran a 1/2 marathon trail run on Saturday ( my first). I was listening to an Audible book on my AirPod 2 the entire run. I had 69% left once I finished my run of 2hrs 28 min at 11:57am.
Sunday (rest day) at 430pm, I had 21% and put it in the charger.
Pretty good for me. I’m sure it will get better after it finishes indexing.

johnmed

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
uk
7DEFE673-8B87-4566-9C2B-7DA14C182CB4.png
I don’t have a cellular plan, took it off charge yesterday morning and after normal use, sleep tracking and 25 hrs later:

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
Based on normal usage without sport (checking notifications etc) I average 8% in 5 h with AOD on. This would result in 62,5h battery. Amazing

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Took mine off of the charger yesterday morning at 7am. Had two different 1 hour workouts (one in the morning and one in the evening) and as of now at 4:30am it is sitting at 55%.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I charged for maybe an hour since I bought it, never to 100%. Got it on friday around noon. GPS workout tracking for 30 min/a day, used cellular only for one walk streaming music to airpods with GPS, sleep tracking each night. Currently at 45%.

My S7 would be at around 25% at the end of an average day (With no sleep tracking.) With the ultra I seem to be running at about 3 days battery, with sleep tracking. I will finally charge it to 100% today to get a better picture...but basically with the Ultra I'm fine with just plugging it in at my desk for an hour every few days it seems.

rcarter3636

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
Is it correct that it doesn’t matter if you have iPhone with you or not, the Ultra will not piggy back off of the iPhone for GPS like previous models?
What about using cellular. Does it use iPhone or is it the same as GPS?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Last night before going to bed, my Ultra was at 80%. I put it in low power mode and let it sit on the night table. I wore my SBTI AW 7 for sleep tracking and woke up and my Ultra was down to 73%. 7% overnight is definitely not bad.

• Wow
Reactions: planteater

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
After 48 straight hours Watch is at 29%. Could probably stretch it to 72 hours for a full three days if I tried. Regardless, it's impressed me.

Settings
- I use a boring watch face. Two tone. Nothing fancy.
- Screen is not always on. I look at my watch maybe 10 total minutes an hour, I don't need it on 24/7.
- Cellular/GPS service on.
- Brightness & sound on default. Vibration on high.

Use
- Emailed/Texted about 20-25 over the weekend. My weekdays will have significant more use.
- Streamed music for an hour.
- Took four calls. Average call time was 4-6 minutes using Watch speaker.
- Checked ESPN app for sports scores.
- Used the flashlight app several times.
- Downloaded a few new apps: WatchTube, Lens, etc.
- Use Tesla app to control my Tesla 2-3 times per day.
- Sleep tracking.

I used to wear the Series 6 but never at night. Charged it every night before bed. With the longer battery life I decided to wear it throughout the night. Sleep tracking is interesting to view. I can easily see this watch lasting three full days of 72 hours if i skipped the music, flashlight, and messing around with the new apps. Three days is what I was aiming for, as often I'll head out of town for the weekend. Even if you don't need the additional ruggedness of the Ultra, the battery life itself makes it attractive. I also road bike 100 mile century events, but my last one was two weekends ago. Didn't have a chance to test it.

Last edited:

Johnly

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2022
It’s been 24 hours and 45 minutes. I am at 62% battery since 1st full charge. Everything on, sleep monitoring, all complications running. Will update tonight at 8 PM as Apple has promised that I get at least 36 👍🍺 Have an Ultra day!

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
Lost 7% while running outside for 30 min with AOD on and streaming offline music to my AirPods Pro.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
This battery life is absolutely amazing. Received the watch Friday. Late night, I installed the update, charged it to full, and haven’t put it back on the charger. It is now 11:42 on Monday, over 57 hours later with no power save activated and I’m at 22%. That will likely last me through when I get home from work and a little beyond.

Now this is just normal everyday usage, I’ve played with faces, setting things up, notifications, timers, sending receiving texts, sports scores, listened to some music. Haven’t used it yet for fitness activities yet, I’m sure GPS or cellular will eat into that at some point, but for simple daily use, this battery life is beyond what I expected.

e2800cf497852039f5138f7753eb5e82.jpg

Reactions: Dammit Cubs

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Just put my watch on my charger today for the first time. 90 to 15 (40 hrs). This is what I always wanted in an apple watch, i just wanted to not think about putting it on a charger just so it can last through my sleep. Now, i can just do a quick top and know that will last me almost a full day.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
Yeah I think we can pretty much all agree on the fact that the battery life is insane.

I’m on my second charge. 22 hours since I fully charged it, 68% of battery left. Slept with it (theater mode to have the screen off while sleeping), had a 40 min workout. No cellular activated, background refresh on, max brightness.

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
Last seven years, I used to charge my Series 0-7 watches every morning as a part of my morning routine. Apple Watch Ultra has finally changed that, phenomenal battery life.
I set it up (did not restore from a backup), activated cellular, installed the latest PB while on charger, did a soft reset on both my iPhone and Watch after the installation and took the Watch off the charger right around noon on Friday.
My settings have been the same since the introduction of AOD:
  • Background refresh: On
  • Installed apps: Only a few that I care about having on my Watch
  • AOD: Off except workouts
  • Wake on Wrist Raise: Off
  • Wake on Crown Up: Off
  • Wake Duration: 15 seconds
  • Chimes: On, hourly.
  • Listen for "Hey Siri": Off
  • Raise to Speak: Off
  • Haptic Alerts: On
  • Theatre Mode: On except workouts
  • Overnight/tracking my sleep: Sleep/DND mode whichever kicks in first.
I have 5% left after 74 hours. I did not need to use Power Reserve mode. I could probably squeeze out few more hours as I started my day with 11%. Well done, Apple. I am super excited to be experiencing how far along the Watch has come last seven years.

Reactions: Ghost31

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
22% after 46 hours.
- 2, 30-minute indoor walks
- 2 nights of sleep tracking
- AOD on
- Morning alarm set
- Background app refresh on

Pretty impressed so far!

Now, here's a question for the group. If we're not having to charge as much, will this affect the battery health? I would think fewer discharge/charge cycles would have some effect. I'm no expert on battery chemistry, so I'll leave that for those who are.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
I charged my watch Friday night and wore it to bed, I am at 24%, going to charge it now just because... So thrilled w/ the battery life

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Loving the battery life on the Ultra so far even from the Series 7 45mm. Been in use for 46 hours so far from a 100% charge and I still have 28% left, should be able to squeeze close to another 24hrs out of that. My usual use is text messages, email, get quite a few notifications daily, package tracking, using the timer if cooking and controlling my home with the home app so nothing really demanding.

• Background refresh: On (all apps and I have quite a few 3rd party ones)
  • AOD: On
  • Wake on Wrist Raise: On
  • Wake on Crown Up: On
  • Listen for "Hey Siri": On
  • Raise to Speak: On
  • Background noise detection: On
  • Sleep tracking: On
  • Display brightness: 2nd bar
  • Haptics: Prominent (max setting)
  • Cellular: Activated and always on, but my watch is in range of the phone 99% of the time.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I am 89% with 8 hours and 12 minutes off charger. I have had cellular disabled today, but still, this thing is amazing. I believe Apple is way underrating the battery life. Even yesterday when I had cellular activated, logged 2 separate 30 minute workouts, I was able to end the day with 69% with over 13 hours on wrist.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Loving the battery life on the Ultra so far even from the Series 7 45mm. Been in use for 46 hours so far from a 100% charge and I still have 28% left, should be able to squeeze close to another 24hrs out of that. My usual use is text messages, email, get quite a few notifications daily, package tracking, using the timer if cooking and controlling my home with the home app so nothing really demanding.

• Background refresh: On (all apps and I have quite a few 3rd party ones)
  • AOD: On
  • Wake on Wrist Raise: On
  • Wake on Crown Up: On
  • Listen for "Hey Siri": On
  • Raise to Speak: On
  • Background noise detection: On
  • Sleep tracking: On
  • Display brightness: 2nd bar
  • Haptics: Prominent (max setting)
Yeah this thing is a BEAST as far as Apple Watch goes. I have had mine since Friday and it’s been a conversation starter. I recommend to anyone who wants a solid all around smartwatch/sport watch.

Reactions: someoneoutthere

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Even with my Series 7 45mm with my type of usage I could get between 1 day to 1.5 days out of that battery before it would be completely dead, so with the Ultra I was pretty sure I could get 2 to 3 days out of it and it's definitely living up to my expectations :)

Being able to charge the watch far less often should increase the battery health pretty significantly.

Reactions: Ghost31 and GuruZac

Dekicrown

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
Read a review pointing out that the promised 36-hour battery life is only when the ultra is connected to a phone, which handles the GPS activities etc. If you are using it alone, the battery life take a big hit (according to the review).

Reactions: flowave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.