Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Read a review pointing out that the promised 36-hour battery life is only when the ultra is connected to a phone, which handles the GPS activities etc. If you are using it alone, the battery life take a big hit (according to the review).

Yes but even then, how many people are likely to be without their phone for more than 24 hours. There is no way to spin it, the Ultra battery life is impressive.

As a matter of fact I was about to start a thread on how the Ultra is beating Apple’s marketing claims of 36 hours of battery life. For my usage, it’s a 48 to 60 hour battery life without low power mode.

Last edited:

Jacc Sparrow

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Brooklyn Nyc
Apple Watch got delivered Sat morning. Charged, updated left everything on and did sleep tracking. When I got up this morning I was at 13% I would say that is pretty impressive

Dekicrown

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
Yes but even then, how many people are likely to be without their phone for more than 24 hours. There is no way to spin it, the Ultra battery life is impressive.

As a matter of fact I was about to start a thread on how the Ultra is beating Apple’s marketing claims of 36 hours of battery life. For my usage, it’s a 48 to 60 hour battery life without low power mode.
Yup, no doubt. Just offering another datapoint.

Reactions: GuruZac

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
I will do a test next with the phone, not connected and see how long the battery lasts.

I think that is also a really good metric to know. The reality is this is still some impressive battery life compared to the previous generations my S7 sometimes barely made it through a day if I used it a bit.

A good solid four days with some light to moderate use is impressive. With the screen not on all the time not running Clockology and not doing workouts of which I had three in the last four day, I bet it would be even longer.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

To be fair, my Series 3, even at 5 years old, had a 36 hour battery life without Low Power Mode, using the Modular face.

My (new) S7 probably lasts for up to 48 hours with Sleep tracking on, but I haven't let my watch get to 0% yet, so not 100% sure.

I was hoping to see the Ultra get real-world battery life of 3 days, and it seems to be the case on a regular day where you're just going to work, watching TV, etc.

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
I never got my S7 to last over 30 hours ever. S6 even worse.

My ultra finally died at 4:30 today. Friday at 11:30 to 4:30 on a Monday.

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
I’m at 32 hours with 16% left. Started at 92%. Doesn’t seem quite as strong my as everyone else.

What kind of usage? I think how much texting usage, etc. will make a big difference.

The time I’m talking about in my posts (about 4 days) deals with three gym workouts, approximately two hours of fitness, tracking, general watch use looking at it and fidgeting with the faces.

I was running Clockology 50% of the time.

Screen at 50% brightness about half the time. I turned it up to full brightness for the swine half of battery life and left it there.

Not much GPS use and never used without the phone.

I took one call maybe a handful of text messages no music directly from the watch checked heart rate and other heart monitoring things a couple of times. I generally have the sound level safety thing turned on all the time. I don’t use it to remote control anything.

bthompson

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
What kind of usage? I think how much texting usage, etc. will make a big difference.

The time I’m talking about in my posts (about 4 days) deals with three gym workouts, approximately two hours of fitness, tracking, general watch use looking at it and fidgeting with the faces.

I was running Clockology 50% of the time.

Screen at 50% brightness about half the time. I turned it up to full brightness for the swine half of battery life and left it there.

Not much GPS use and never used without the phone.

I took one call maybe a handful of text messages no music directly from the watch checked heart rate and other heart monitoring things a couple of times. I generally have the sound level safety thing turned on all the time. I don’t use it to remote control anything.

That is no gps usage, cellular activated and used sparingly. No other active apps really.

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
Interesting. Give it another full charge and make sure it’s not downloading or transferring old Watch stuff. Could the cellular be working full time for some reason? Make sure it’s working off the phone completely. I am going to do a charge and run it without the phone next.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
To be fair, my Series 3, even at 5 years old, had a 36 hour battery life without Low Power Mode, using the Modular face.

My (new) S7 probably lasts for up to 48 hours with Sleep tracking on, but I haven't let my watch get to 0% yet, so not 100% sure.

I was hoping to see the Ultra get real-world battery life of 3 days, and it seems to be the case on a regular day where you're just going to work, watching TV, etc.
I never got 36 hours, even out of my non-Cellular 44mm Series 5. I’m sitting at 80% on my Ultra, as I type this, and it’s been off the charger since 7:30am today. 12 hours and only 20% drop is insane battery life for an Apple Watch.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
AOD was on or off?
Oh, I have AOD off...

BUT...

And I'll start another thread about this...

I'm having an issue with the Raise to Wake.

Compared to my S5 it is way, way too sensitive. Driving a vehicle, it's almost on constantly, any turning of the steering wheel, speed bumps etc... The only time the screen will go off is if I drive straight and don't move my arm. And just so many other situations - it's on way more than what my S5 (also on WOS9) does.

Still, AOD off lol

Reactions: akidokraja

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
Raise to wake is sensitive. That said, and with Clockology running about half the time still 4 days. If you had wake with crown and AOD off should get even more. I can’t wait until 60 hour mode.

Reactions: akidokraja

bthompson

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
Anyone have issues with fast charging? I put my Watch on at 8%, it’s been on the charger for 45 minutes and it’s at 30%. Seems way slower than my series 7.

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
My watch charged 0-100 in about 40 minutes - maybe a little more. No issue with that. It is a little sensitive to connecting securely to the charging disc.

I set it on and thought it was charging for 20 minutes and it wasn’t actually charging.

I feel like that’s pretty fast charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnly

Johnly

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2022
It’s been 36 hours since first full charge of constant use with AOD. I am sitting at 37% so there is no need to charge it tonight (again) for sleep tracking. Will report back at 48 hours. I even tracked a workout today. I bet 4-5 days on power saver is completely feasible. We shall see. 👍🍺

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
I was able to achieve 51 hours not even bringing it down to 0% all my normal usage. Very impressed, loving this watch.

flowave

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
I don't think it will last 2 days for me. 95% to 43% with 22 hours of usage. I usually use it for measuring heart rate maybe 10 times a day, sleep tracking, an hour of exercise tracking and few timers. I have been charging every night. I was thinking it should last two days watching MKBHD video. It is better than charging twice a day with watch 7, however.

Todashi

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2022
Shocked at how good the battery is on the ultra.

Mine arrived partially charged at something like 85 per cent or so and I just put it on and started wearing it last Friday. All good, it lasted a long time but because it wasn't full when I put it on, I didn't really pay attention. It also wasn't fully empty on Saturday but I charged it up before bed at roughly 11pm on Saturday to 100 per cent.

Apple rates it for 36 hours of normal use. I charged my unit to full on Saturday evening, and put it on as I went to bed. So it went from 11pm on Saturday to 9:50am on Tuesday - That’s nearly 59 hours - 58 hours and 50 minutes.

I used it normally for me, a couple of workouts, notifications etc. Didn't play any music or podcasts etc so probably it's actually very light usage by Apple's standards. Even so, that's nuts to me. My last series 7 watch would have needed charging at least twice and maybe even three times if I had wanted to sleep track etc.

Be interesting to see what the 'low power mode' specially for the Ultra does when it arrives in software later this year. They're saying up to 60 hours, but I've virtually got that now.

Reactions: Johnly

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
My watch changed for 0-100 in about 40 minutes - maybe a little more. No issue with that. It is a little sensitive to connecting securely to the chagrin disc. I set it on and thought it was charging for 20 minutes and it wasn’t actually charging.
From 0-100 in 40 minutes? What?

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Anyone using the watch with cellular always on, brightness to full, and AOD enabled? Just curious how the battery performs per hour…7%,10%, etc.

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
Anyone using the watch with cellular always on, brightness to full, and AOD enabled? Just curious how the battery performs per hour…7%,10%, etc.
I ran yesterday for 30 min and lost 7% with streaming offline music to my APP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.