Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
The fact that it's a trial is probably the problem. There's probably something preventing that trial OS from being installed on a clean partion for reasons such as, when the trial expires you have a partition that you can't change on the drive or if it was a windows machine, an operating system that no longer works on the drive. You cannot reclaim the space you allocate to your windows partition based on the format needed for Windows.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Expired copy - also try in VM first. I had copies of 10 Tech Preview that refused to boot. And I think I need 10 to work with USB-C and other features. Apple "Boot Camp" driver support is always an issue too with how much, well support will be.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
No , downloaded a trail 8.1 and 10 64bit from microsoft website

Why would you do that ?

With a full new version you can normally skip registration and continue to install, but you end up with an un-activated copy that gives nags and won't update until activated, but at least you can see it all works ok then buy your key.

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
I don't think he means a trial as in developer preview, he means he got the ISO off the Microsoft site (which you can do without making any purchase).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
No , downloaded a trail 8.1 and 10 64bit from microsoft website
I think you'll need a valid Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 key. You should install Windows 10 directly. You can then activate it with the Windows 8.1 key after the installation completes.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I agree it's most likely but the other option would certainly explain some of the problems OP is having

I do believe this to be the case. Boot Camp is extremely finicky, so many small things can go wrong leading to a blown install. The moment he said "trial copy" I went, "oh no".

Any kids out there in internet-land reading this, do yourself a favor, download a fully-paid version of Windows 10 straight from Microsoft, follow the published instructions for Boot Camp and your particular Mac, and 30 minutes later you'll be happy. Trying to cut corners with old OS versions and trials to save a buck won't cut it when you want to run Windows on a foreign machine.

BJ

Reactions: jeremiah256

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
I do believe this to be the case. Boot Camp is extremely finicky, so many small things can go wrong leading to a blown install. The moment he said "trial copy" I went, "oh no".

Any kids out there in internet-land reading this, do yourself a favor, download a fully-paid version of Windows 10 straight from Microsoft, follow the published instructions for Boot Camp and your particular Mac, and 30 minutes later you'll be happy. Trying to cut corners with old OS versions and trials to save a buck won't cut it when you want to run Windows on a foreign machine.

BJ
It doesn't matter, both the trial and the bought version share the same Iso file, you'll only get a key.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It doesn't matter, both the trial and the bought version share the same Iso file, you'll only get a key.
I wish this was true but I have personally encounter problems where a friend MBP would not install Win10 yet the one I had from previous installation worked

This is especially true as the 90 day trial version is an enterprise edition which is capable for dual boot windows editions not OSX and Windows 10 amongst other things

The easiest way is to download using the media creation tool IMO and then copy the win 10 bootcamp drivers directory to the USB drive created using the media tool, restart your rMB and boot from the USB to start windows install.

Last edited:
Reactions: boltjames

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I wish this was true but I have personally encounter problems where a friend MBP would not install Win10 yet the one I had from previous installation worked

This is especially true as the 90 day trial version is an enterprise edition which is capable for dual boot windows editions not OSX and Windows 10 amongst other things

The easiest way is to download using the media creation tool IMO and then copy the win 10 bootcamp drivers directory to the USB drive created using the media tool, restart your rMB and boot from the USB to start windows install.

I had the same experience. In fact, I originally wanted to purchase a copy of 8.1 and stay on 8.1 because the Boot Camp driver back in May had working Bluetooth which was my #1 priority considering the lack of a suitable port for a USB mouse, and Boot Camp had no Bluetooth with Windows 10 back then. But after trying an 8.1 install over and over and failing for a week I gave in as Windows 10 installed smoothly and easily the first time through. Fortunately, after a few months, Bluetooth worked with a Boot Camp update and its been paradise ever since.

BJ

Reactions: SteveJUAE

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I had all sorts of problems installing W10 in BootCamp just as the OP did with only OS X and EFI showing. What ended up solving my problem was using a new USB stick. Not sure why one would work over the other but I tried like 5 times with the old one and it installed first try with my new one.

Reactions: Bofahad

Bofahad

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016
i tried every thing every day nothing work ? even LonerT from discussions apple can't help me ..
BootCamp 6.0.6133
then
BootCamp 6.0.6136 before few days nothing work !

i went to Computers stories here in kuwait all said we can not install windows via bootcamp on this new macbook because windows os does not have usb-c driver !!!
[doublepost=1460213681][/doublepost]
I had all sorts of problems installing W10 in BootCamp just as the OP did with only OS X and EFI showing. What ended up solving my problem was using a new USB stick. Not sure why one would work over the other but I tried like 5 times with the old one and it installed first try with my new one.
man i used may be 10 usb flash drive no one work ? what is the mark of that one work with you? can you capture that plzzazz

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
i tried every thing every day nothing work ? even LonerT from discussions apple can't help me ..
BootCamp 6.0.6133
then

i went to Computers stories here in kuwait all said we can not install windows via bootcamp on this new macbook because windows os does not have usb-c driver !!!
man i used may be 10 usb flash drive no one work ? what is the mark of that one work with you? can you capture that plzzazz

I ended up using a Sandisk 64gb drive and the official Apple Adapter to plug this in. I remember on the old one it would show OS X and EFI only when I booted using option. When I used the SanDisk it gave me three options. I don't remember what the third was called but it was whatever the USB was labeled like WIN10ISO or WIN10INSTALL or something. I clicked on that and it began to install windows.

Once I finally got it installed I had other issues getting all the drivers installed. It would hang on the Realtek Audio installation for hours. So if you ever get to this point let me know as I can try to help with that too.

Windows 10 can be installed in BootCamp on this machine, it is just a bit touchy.

Bofahad

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016
I ended up using a Sandisk 64gb drive and the official Apple Adapter to plug this in. I remember on the old one it would show OS X and EFI only when I booted using option. When I used the SanDisk it gave me three options. I don't remember what the third was called but it was whatever the USB was labeled like WIN10ISO or WIN10INSTALL or something. I clicked on that and it began to install windows.

Once I finally got it installed I had other issues getting all the drivers installed. It would hang on the Realtek Audio installation for hours. So if you ever get to this point let me know as I can try to help with that too.

Windows 10 can be installed in BootCamp on this machine, it is just a bit touchy.
you are the man!! thank you very very much !

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
BootCamp 6.0.6133
then

Well ignore your store in Kuwait sounds as good as the ones here in UAE as my ME rMB worked fine

As we have noted before

1) Buy 2 good USB sticks and one Apple USB dongle
2) Download the official W10 (not the trial version etc etc or windows 8/8.1 etc you seem to be mucking about with) using MS utility to write to the 1st USB with the ISO file automatically, you may need to use a friends windows PC to do this or from OSX you can save the ISO to your desktop and let OSX mount it along with the bootcamp drivers
3) Download the bootcamp drivers to 2nd USB stick and copy to 1st USB unless you used OSX method above
4) Make sure your rMB only has the partitions that it came out of the box with any others delete and merge using disk utilities and run the other disk utils to make sure your drive is okay
5) Start the bootcamp utility and follow the instructions for partitioning, when your rMB goes black and re boots wait a good amount of time for the W10 install routine to start

If your rMB re-boots back into OSX then restart and hold the command key to boot from the USB drive and install windows from there to the bootcamp partition you created and finally run the bootcamp windows drivers after installing windows, if you used skip option on typing in activation key, once W10 is working, buy a key and activate.

Bofahad

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016
Well ignore your store in Kuwait sounds as good as the ones here in UAE as my ME rMB worked fine

As we have noted before

2) Download the official W10 (not the trial version etc etc or windows 8/8.1 etc you seem to be mucking about with) using MS utility to write to the 1st USB with the ISO file automatically, you may need to use a friends windows PC to do this or from OSX you can save the ISO to your desktop and let OSX mount it along with the bootcamp drivers
3) Download the bootcamp drivers to 2nd USB stick and copy to 1st USB unless you used OSX method above
4) Make sure your rMB only has the partitions that it came out of the box with any others delete and merge using disk utilities and run the other disk utils to make sure your drive is okay
5) Start the bootcamp utility and follow the instructions for partitioning, when your rMB goes black and re boots wait a good amount of time for the W10 install routine to start

If your rMB re-boots back into OSX then restart and hold the command key to boot from the USB drive and install windows from there to the bootcamp partition you created and finally run the bootcamp windows drivers after installing windows, if you used skip option on typing in activation key, once W10 is working, buy a key and activate.

thank you so much man , i will try that today

Bofahad

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016

As we have noted before

not worked

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Don't have a rMB on me but I hope you understood that you need Windows 10.

If not, DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THE OFFICIAL VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 FROM THE MS SITE, the link is right there: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10 You will need a PC computer, but I'm sure you have one or at least someone around you has. Then just burn the install to a DVD (will require external DVD reader though) or USB with at least 8GB of space. Follow the instructions in the tool and it won't be a problem. Make sure you pick x64 and pick the version (Home or Pro) that you paid for or will pay for.

Don't download any "Windows 8/8.1 Trial" ********, use the official install, and probably buy it, FROM MICROSOFT. Legitimacy is probably an important point here, if you just install random crap then it's no wonder it won't work. If your country/ISP has some sort of weird ban or regulation of websites (which I doubt is the case), just use a VPN.

Try all of this first and then we'll continue examining the problem.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
^ ^
What garirry said!

Can you give some more details about what part did not work?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.