Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
IMG_1069.jpeg
I’m assuming I’m late ?
Think it moved to preparing to ship pretty quickly.

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
I also wonder about air this year ? They mentioned shipping as an alternative that is better for environment. Maybe that’s just for some products

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
I think (and a fair amount of data indicates) the dominant consumer behavior (esp in the segment a $1600 smartphone sells) is much less actually driven by ecological reality than ecological perception (e.g. green washing, which Apple is so very great at, even if based in microeconomic fact, the sexy little videos they make and show obfuscate the bigger picture quite well), and in this way, all it takes is a few nicely made videos featuring Jony Ive, some sexy transitions, and some marketing to tell a story about how the higher carbon footprint material is actually "a good thing", change the focus, redirect, and still use it and bring those earnings (top line) and profit (bottom line) to the quarterly earnings call.

"Good business" is increasing "shareholder value", no company gives a damn about carbon footprint until the markets do, and the markets won't until consumers do, and it's pretty clear, consumers (beyond an exceedingly small rounding error) only care if all their other boxes are actually checked as long as they are perceived as being "eco" (the reality is of absolutely zero consequence in this dynamic).

Disagree. It is good business (smart marketing) to move to lower carbon footprint materials even if margin is identical, and maybe even if it’s less.

I’d assume you agree, given you yourself pointed out that eco-friendliness-theater is literally a selling point. The business benefit need not ONLY be in cost of goods.

Reactions: rjjacobson

NotApplicable

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2019
I seriously doubt that’s the bottom line factor. As I said, leather is an increasingly expensive material that’s getting more and more expensive over time. Apple likely saves many hundreds of millions of dollars by switching to a material with a lower price point.
Of course it’s possible, but Apple uses more-premium-than-required material in MANY cases, despite lower-cost options being available. In the name of user experience, marketing, and cachet. Name a single flagship Android phone that has ever had a stainless steel enclosure, for example.

Apple is moreso known for using the best/most marketable materials, and then pricing however high necessary to ensure good margin. Not selecting from the bottom of the barrel to start.

I think it’s misguided to argue they made this decision only for margin.

Reactions: killawat

CarolG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2013
Northern California
That’s interesting so you guys didn’t place the order using an App? The app is usually the fastest. The web version Apple Store was down for me like forever. I guess it comes down to this. You gotta do what you gotta do to make it work. Everyone’s experience is so different.
The app on my iphone and ipad didn’t open until :20. Website was a few minutes faster. 9/22 date is all that matters though,

dweb619_2

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2015
Colbert Nation
I also wonder about air this year ? They mentioned shipping as an alternative that is better for environment. Maybe that’s just for some products
Yeah in the keynote they didn't say anything about changing the iPhone shipping being switched from air to water. but I'm sure they are doing a mix of both

jetlagged

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2012
does anyone know what home Apple Store opens on launch day sept 22? Do they open earlier or is it the typical 10 am to 8pm.

I’m thinking of just going Friday morning after I get off work at 730 in the morning

dweb619_2

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2015
Colbert Nation
does anyone know what home Apple Store opens on launch day sept 22? Do they open earlier or is it the typical 10 am to 8pm.

I’m thinking of just going Friday morning after I get off work at 730 in the morning
Check with your local store. But every screenshot I've seen of an instore pickup has only shown 10 a.m. or later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.