Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
The recycling point is one worth discussing (I know you just brought it up and aren't saying it is a viable option, but gave me pause to think it should be discussed):

First, very few recycling facilities will accept phone cases. Even if they are sold with a green leaf icon and a recycling logo because academically speaking they might have some possibility of recycling, in reality, the recyclers that can and will actually recycle it are exceedingly rare.

Second, let's just say they are recyclable at 100% of facilities (the reality is that it's in the single digits): the percentage of each case that is actually recycled is incredibly low. It's not like the entire thing gets turned into a t-shirt magically.

Third, fine, let's say it's 100% recycled. The energy required as an input to that process is massive. Shred it, sort the shavings by density, then melt them down, ship them...all requires a lot of carbon input, tooling, labor, and the like.

Is it better than a landfill or ocean? Probably. But that's not the point, the point is that even if they are recyclable on paper (so consumers can "feel good" about it), the facilities and economics aren't there, so they end up in the waste stream, even if I throw mine in the "blue, feel-good bin".

The economics and ecological story simply don't work out for anything but reuse, but that has been artificially blocked by Apple and a needless 0.03" tolerance change. But, well, they have a neat-o 5 minute film on "sustainability" and a very Jony Ive style sustainability report that asserts they are very serious about the environment, so, well, I can trust them it's totally cool I'm chucking this other-than-arbitrary-design-changes perfectly useful piece of plastic into the recycling bin is actually totally a good idea, right?

Apple offers recycling on their hardware. I’d assume they’d be able to handle case recycles too.

As far as the rest? Talk is cheap. Backing up your claims would be appropriate.

Reactions: Wolfs

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012

dudeski

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2023
went with the $12 Clay silicone case from aliexpress for my runs. will report back on its durability and look 🫡

1694822171088.jpeg

mykhaeli

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
Sunflower Galaxy
stock max nat titanium went through but October delivery..
Seen your ordeal here as I joined in this same period of frustration as well.
(because of your Strat headstock😁)
But we will receive a Titanium Trophy! 🏆✨
Glad to see you are finally getting a sweet new iPhone 15!!😃👍

Reactions: Brad7

hungryteresa

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
does anyone know what home Apple Store opens on launch day sept 22? Do they open earlier or is it the typical 10 am to 8pm.

I’m thinking of just going Friday morning after I get off work at 730 in the morning
They might open earlier for the iPhone launch date. You should check your local Apple Store's hours on their website. This is the one for Soho, NYC. It's possible for 9/22 they'll open earlier? I could have sworn I scheduled a iPhone pickup in 2019 in Soho for 8:30am (which seems to be before they open now). Not sure if COVID changed all their hours. I'd recommend checking over the weekend to see if they add 9/22 hours.
SoHo - Apple Store - Apple 2023-09-15 19-52-47.png

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Did your preorder process not have the “trade in kit” option? (I did with AT&T) I too do not like rushing and setup of a new device in store. I do the side by side transfer in the comfort of my home and then mail my previous device in a few days later.

Maybe you can request that a trade-in kit be mailed to you instead of trying to change your delivery method?

Or just see if you can bring your previous device after you set it up at home?

I know you're talking about trading in, but does picking up in store require setting up the phone in store? If so, should I choose that option, I'm bringing my Mac with.. I'd rather restore from backups than let the data transfer over.

BL.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
In literally the same point, you suggest "Backing up your claims would be appropriate" right after saying "I'd assume they'd be able to handle case recycles too".

Care to share the link, since you're asking for "backup" yourself where Apple does this (hint: I checked myself, they don't, that's a very false assumption)?

As for the rest if you're concerned about citations/more detail/references underpinning certain assertions, this is MacRumors.com, not PubMed/post-doc peer reviewed journal submissions, so if you're concerned about the data or learning more, I'll suggest: https://***************.com/

Apple offers recycling on their hardware. I’d assume they’d be able to handle case recycles too.

As far as the rest? Talk is cheap. Backing up your claims would be appropriate.

I would love to see the behind the scenes during preordering. Like how the higher ups react when things get glitchy and just in general. Does Tim pull an all-nighter with excitement? Also, how the stores prepare including what the employees do differently than a normal day. I bet it’s interesting.
It's always an excitement. It’s been like this for years. You might want to check the video out. It's worth watching. It covers everything. 📱

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Wow! That's a good way to look at it. But you are correct. Sound strange huh!

Apple has had a few fails since Jonny Ive departed. You could argue that the general design stagnation of the iPhone, iMac and iPad are all due to the lack of Ive’s leadership pushing them forward. I do feel like Apple needs a real top flight designer on their permanent staff and it’s concerning that they don’t appear to have one.

dudeski

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2023
I would love to see the behind the scenes during preordering. Like how the higher ups react when things get glitchy and just in general. Does Tim pull an all-nighter with excitement? Also, how the stores prepare including what the employees do differently than a normal day. I bet it’s interesting.
it must be crazy to know exactly how many billions apple made today. tim knows too much

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
In literally the same point, you suggest "Backing up your claims would be appropriate" right after saying "I'd assume they'd be able to handle case recycles too".

Care to share the link, since you're asking for "backup" yourself where Apple does this (hint: I checked myself, they don't, that's a very false assumption)?

As for the rest if you're concerned about citations/more detail/references underpinning certain assertions, this is MacRumors.com, not PubMed/post-doc peer reviewed journal submissions, so if you're concerned about the data or learning more, I'll suggest: https://***************.com/

So you refuse to back up your claim. Got it.

As far as my statement, it’s pure speculation and I never claimed it was anything more or less, so your “what about” rebuttal is irrelevant.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
It looks like they are not durable either. I just don’t think you can impress anyone with those cases. It’s like Apple telling us not to use a case.

They only really started selling them around the 6, right? And I remember someone saying that really they don‘t want you to cover such a beautiful gadget because you rarely see an Apple exec using one. That in their eyes this beautiful design was never intended to be covered up.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
I know you're talking about trading in, but does picking up in store require setting up the phone in store? If so, should I choose that option, I'm bringing my Mac with.. I'd rather restore from backups than let the data transfer over.

BL.

It does not require it. Sometimes an Apple staff will offer to get you started if you want, but generally they give you device, ask if you have any questions and then send you on your way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.