Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
For the first time I’m going to sit this one out. Not enough difference from 14pro to 15pro to justify the expense.
I did that last year. I have had every iPhone generation since launch (except for the models that were additional SKUs... iPhone 5C, iPhone 8, SE etc.)..... EXCEPT LAST YEAR! I skipped 14.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Going to be different this year as you can only do SIM free if you pay upfront. Apple card, IUP and iPhone Loan are all carrier connection required now. So a lot of people will be having to choose a carrier. However the phones are still unlocked they are just pre connected to your carrier.

Can't do that on Apple Card Monthly Payments anymore.
Thanks for the information. In that case I’m not sure if Verizon will charge an activation fee then. Hopefully not since you’re buying it from Apple directly and not them.

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Was pretty bummed to learn that the 3nm A17 Pro chip which was so hyped for performance - only improves it by 10%? that seems strange.. apple paid to make sure they were the only ones on the market to have a chip that’s probably barely noticeably quicker, and does nothing more for battery life.
That's only 1 part of its stats though. It adds more cores performance and efficiency that can be used at the same time, more neural engine, and GPU performance. If you say "only adds 10%" you're not looking at the whole picture.

Reactions: rjjacobson

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Verizon always charges an activation fee. Always. They will pass it through even on Apple's end so long as you choose them as a carrier and process the upgrade. I will be shocked if they do otherwise.
Pretty sure that's only the case if you do it as an upgrade. Buying the phone on Apple Card and attaching it to Verizon isn't the same as doing it as an upgrade through them.

jealousguy86

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
That's only 1 part of its stats though. It adds more cores performance and efficiency that can be used at the same time, more neural engine, and GPU performance. If you say "only adds 10%" you're not looking at the whole picture.
well sure, it’ll be fine and better and all that. was just expecting something bigger with the move to 3nm. this felt about as underwhelming as it gets.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
well sure, it’ll be fine and better and all that. was just expecting something bigger with the move to 3nm. this felt about as underwhelming as it gets.
I think 10% is pretty good considering it's improvement in multiple areas. Can't have a major increase in 1 area while adding to others. The 3nm process allowed an overall upgrade it wasn't focused on just CPU.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Pretty sure that's only the case if you do it as an upgrade. Buying the phone on Apple Card and attaching it to Verizon isn't the same as doing it as an upgrade through them.

If you buy a Verizon iPhone through Apple and don't tie it to a line for an upgrade, then there is no activation fee. You didn't use Verizon's system so Verizon has no clue you're getting a new device and therefore can't charge you an activation fee. They didn't come into the purchase sequence of events.

If you buy a Verizon iPhone through Apple and hit Verizon's system to process an upgrade, Verizon will charge an activation fee. They won't care that you purchased the phone through Apple. Verizon always charges an activation fee if you bring them into the purchase equation.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I told myself I’d go with blue this year…..then I saw the black titanium. Now I’m torn!!! 🤣🤣
I get black/space gray every… single… year. Pre-keynotes, I was in what is now natural titanium zone. But it looks a bit more Starlite in all Apple marketing materials. And then there’s that sleek black Ti fighter over there eyeing me. Thing looks sick. Damnit. The blue is very nice. Even the silver has my attention. I would LOVE if after keynotes, Apple Tires would have display units in-hand so we could check them out and make more informed decisions come pre-order time. 🤪

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
If you buy a Verizon iPhone through Apple and don't tie it to a line for an upgrade, then there is no activation fee. You didn't use Verizon's system so Verizon has no clue you're getting a new device and therefore can't charge you an activation fee. They didn't come into the purchase sequence of events.

If you buy a Verizon iPhone through Apple and hit Verizon's system to process an upgrade, Verizon will charge an activation fee. They won't care that you purchased the phone through Apple. Verizon always charges an activation fee if you bring them into the purchase equation.
That sucks. I know this is avoided on T-Mobile by using a 3rd party retailer.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Reserved a pre-order for a 15PM 512GB in Black! As a first-timer to Apple’s iPhone upgrade program, would anyone happen to know if you are able to hold the delivery at the nearest UPS/FedEx location? Does it require a signature? I won’t be home on delivery day and hoping I can delay delivery.

I just quit Verizon’s upgrade program and they would not let you change anything about the delivery, and always required a signature which was super inconvenient if you miss the delivery. Wondering if Apple is perhaps less strict.

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022

Interesting. So if we buy a “Verizon” iPhone without tying it to a line.. is it the same as buying unlocked? We just unbox and activate it on any carrier we like?

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
I get black/space gray every… single… year. Pre-keynotes, I was in what is now natural titanium zone. But it looks a bit more Starlite in all Apple marketing materials. And then there’s that sleek black Ti fighter over there eyeing me. Thing looks sick. Damnit. The blue is very nice. Even the silver has my attention. I would LOVE if after keynotes, Apple Tires would have display units in-hand so we could check them out and make more informed decisions come pre-order time. 🤪
Heheh Ti fighter, nice. And I know, wish the stores would have them this week so we could check them out before buying. There were even rumors of that this year.

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
Reserved a pre-order for a 15PM 512GB in Black! As a first-timer to Apple’s iPhone upgrade program, would anyone happen to know if you are able to hold the delivery at the nearest UPS/FedEx location? Does it require a signature? I won’t be home on delivery day and hoping I can delay delivery.

I just quit Verizon’s upgrade program and they would not let you change anything about the delivery, and always required a signature which was super inconvenient if you miss the delivery. Wondering if Apple is perhaps less strict.
Yes, you can ask UPS to hold it at your nearest CC hub for same day pickup. Costs $5 if you don’t have the MyChoice membership. You have to request it at a particular point in time during the shipping, check out the OP post. We’ll be giving a heads-up here when the time comes during the tracking stages, as well.

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Interesting. So if we buy a “Verizon” iPhone without tying it to a line.. is it the same as buying unlocked? We just unbox and activate it on any carrier we like?
You can't buy any of the carrier options without tying it to a line. It will ask for your carrier details when ordering.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis

Apple is probably more strict than Verizon. Some people get holds for pickup some don't. It's hit or miss. Yes signature is required no you can't change any delivery details. Most change options aren't available until a delivery is attempted.

Reactions: stanman64

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
20230913_005305.jpg

So does this mean the loan is approved and nothing else needs to be done?

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Select the "connect to any carrier later option".
How is that buying a Verizon phone if you choose connect later? The comment was specifically about buying a carrier phone. You can't choose connect later unless you pay in full. Can't use that with Apple Card, IUP, or iPhone Loan. Please read the entire comment and replies before commenting. This is for people using some sort of financing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.