Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

hungryteresa

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I did a test run for the iphone 14 and correct it did not ask to provide carrier info at check out.

Edit: this is for att. Verizon still asks to input
I can confirm when I selected AT&T, it didn't ask me any info this time around. In the past it used to ask me more info like the account holder's last 4 of their social security number. I did notice they asked me for my salary info and rent/housing cost. 🤔

Reactions: SisterBlue22

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
I can confirm when I selected AT&T, it didn't ask me any info this time around. In the past it used to ask me more info like the account holder's last 4 of their social security number. I did notice they asked me for my salary info and rent/housing cost. 🤔
Are you doing with an iPhone 15 or trying it with one you can actually buy?

hungryteresa

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Y'all - confession time. I've been a Macrumors forum member since 2003 -- that's 20 YEARS -- and I basically come here once a year to do this iPhone upgrade thread. LOL. Also, I check out the accessories forums, etc., but this is my major contribution every year for like the last decade. 😆😆
ME TOO. I sometimes post about the iOS betas, but I'm MOST active in mid-September every year!!

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
I did a test run for the iphone 14 and correct it did not ask to provide carrier info at check out.

Edit: this is for att. Verizon still asks to input
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 2.39.29 PM.png

T-Mobile ask for into (pay in full).

Reactions: Brad7

IceCool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2019
United States of America
I mean if you go to manage your Apple ID and enter the billing info wouldn’t that be sufficient even though you are only using that as a dev account? I mean i have two apple ID and none of have my billing info in there and never had issues with orders being cancelled.
Even if I didn't add the card to the billing info, I could still give it a try. But if it does get cancelled, I'll get screwed over in terms of delivery dates. One of these days I'm going to have to try it out anyway, but still...

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
There were rumors that the 15 Pros would have a slight curve on the edge of the glass. Did we get this or is it a flat sharp edge like the 14?
The 15 Pro edge is ever-so-slightly rounded. Basically buzzed the shape of the 14's edge. Hands-on say it is noticeable and for the better, as far as in-hand feel is concerned.

Reactions: Brad7

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
Hey everyone, I wasn't sure where to post this, but I have a question.

Currently I am a Verizon customer, but likely going to switch within 1-2 months. Because of this, I am not wanting to purchase a Verizon iPhone since you can no longer finance an unlocked iPhone from Apple. So I do not want to select "replace the current iPhone on this account" I am wanting to join the Apple upgrade program, if I select T-Mobile as the carrier, 1. Will the phone come unlocked and am able to connect it to my Verizon account? and 2. Since I selected T-Mobile, at check out on pre order day, will I need to enter in a T-Mobile account to continue the purchase? I'm just not wanting to run into issues on the day pre orders open. Please keep in mind too, that I am wanting to join the upgrade program, and you can no longer do so without selecting a carrier to purchase the phone through. Thanks

IceCool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2019
United States of America
Unfortuntely, sometimes "quick" isn't enough. The website staggers people, depending on load, and one time I couldn't even get in for 20 minutes. Though that seems to be less of a problem recently.
Unfortunately I'm all too familiar with that. Last year's pre-orders were a disaster for so many people on the East Coast (and many other places, too, but I don't live in multiple places simultaneously!). It didn't come back online until, similar to your experience, over 20 minutes after 8 AM and by that point, well, you know the rest 😅

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
Even if I didn't add the card to the billing info, I could still give it a try. But if it does get cancelled, I'll get screwed over in terms of delivery dates. One of these days I'm going to have to try it out anyway, but still...
Do you know what the issue is when them cancelling your order each time? Its odd that they do that. Only time if they cancel is if there is some issues but then they usually give you the change to fix it. Only time I remember them cancelling is if you order excessively as they have a limit.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
So I finally made up my mind and decided to go with the natural titanium, instead of my originally chosen blue. I watched several side-by-side comparison videos and realized that the natural titanium reminds me of the HTC One M8 that I used to have back in my Android days. It was one of the most aesthetically pleasing phones I've ever owned, so a bit of nostalgia drove the decision home.

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Yes i already knew as someone pointed it out that tmobile asks for it. Kind of backwards which is odd since in the past tmobile never asked for carrier info input. Why all of the sudden is it tmobile that is asking and att no longer required is beyond me.
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 2.44.27 PM.png
You also don't get the $30 discount for connecting it to a carrier when using AT&T and paying in full.

anjo10

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2020
Chicago, IL
So here is my understanding:
when you choose ACMI - the activation is during check out.
for Apple iPhone Payments - if you choose ATT and T-Mobile, you’ll activate the iPhone when you received it. Regardless, the iPhone is tied to a carrier. 🥺
IMG_1429.png
IMG_1428.png

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
for Apple iPhone Payments - if you choose ATT and T-Mobile, you’ll activate the iPhone when you received it. Regardless, the iPhone is tied to a carrier. 🥺
View attachment 2260980 View attachment 2260978
No the phone is tied to a carrier at checkout. Doesn't matter what method you choose it is not activated at checkout. If it was your old phone would stop working and you wouldn't have a phone until your new one arrived.

Reactions: Diskz

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
Basically you're SOL and can't join the upgrade program unless you finance with a carrier? WTF

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
View attachment 2260980 View attachment 2260978
Exactly, looks like for 15, rules for T-Mobile are diffent as apple suggests, compared to if you select the 14s. So not an accurate test run it seems like.

Reactions: anjo10

IceCool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2019
United States of America
Do you know what the issue is when them cancelling your order each time? Its odd that they do that. Only time if they cancel is if there is some issues but then they usually give you the change to fix it. Only time I remember them cancelling is if you order excessively as they have a limit.
To this day I have no idea. I even unreasonably suspected that, for whatever reason, my Apple ID had been blacklisted. I reached out to Apple and they said that I wasn't. It's actually interesting... Now that I think about it, I can't even make in-app purchases without contacting Apple Support and making them validate it. Some really weird stuff. My Apple ID is OLD though - it's a first gen Apple ID. But I'm not sure if that's the issue. I'm also not sure that the IAP issue is even related.

I could just try the pre-preorder with my new, secondary ID - since that account is as clean as anything - and just pray that it works. But if it doesn't...

• Wow
Reactions: 5105973

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Basically you're SOL and can't join the upgrade program unless you finance with a carrier? WTF
You don't finance with a carrier when using the upgrade program. The upgrade program has also always required you checkout with a carrier. The only change is with Apple Card you can't do connect later if using monthly payments. Nothing has changed in regards to the iPhone Upgrade Program it's only Apple Card Monthly Installments.

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
For those looking to get a SIM free one. You can still use your Apple Card as long as you don't do the monthly installments. You will have your card APR until you pay off the purchase though. But if you only want to split it into a few payments that wouldn't be a huge deal.

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
To this day I have no idea. I even unreasonably suspected that, for whatever reason, my Apple ID had been blacklisted. I reached out to Apple and they said that I wasn't. It's actually interesting... Now that I think about it, I can't even make in-app purchases without contacting Apple Support and making them validate it. Some really weird stuff. My Apple ID is OLD though - it's a first gen Apple ID. But I'm not sure if that's the issue. I'm also not sure that the IAP issue is even related.

I could just try the pre-preorder with my new, secondary ID - since that account is as clean as anything - and just pray that it works. But if it doesn't...
Lets hope that the secondary ID will do the trick.

• Love
Reactions: 5105973 and IceCool
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.