Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Did you check UPS if any tracking # populates? Check under UPS App under MyChoice account. Also, try searching by reference #.

[pic]
Actually...

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 11.03.23 AM.png

But I can't get the details of it.

Actually...

View attachment 2266077

But I can't get the details of it.
Good! So you do have a tracking number assigned to it. The next step is to call the UPS International Customer Service Center and request them to give you the full tracking number. After that your tracking history will populate and you can track it with us. Let us know if you are part of Wave 1 or Wave 2.

1-800-782-7892.

See @IceCool post. Thanks!

stormchasejg

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
East Preston, UK
I bought a 5 pack USB-A to USB-C from Amazon-for the cars, charging tables, etc
I did the same bought a 3 pack of braded usb a to c for the car it was a generic Chinese brand but have been using ones like that for my raspberry pi and Go Pro for the past few years and never had a problem so thought what's the harm its $5.99 and included 1x3ft & 2x6ft cables. If they don't work out then I'll return and buy some Anker ones.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
It is. What is happening here is that the underlying substrate is a metallic media. Hence, the white coating will yield to the media.

It happens in print media as well.
The whole point of certain coatings (beyond protection or feel, so in the context of "color") is to alter the light reflected or absorbed by a material. Your assertion that because, somehow, there maybe some Titanium Dioxide (which would imply that it's been sufficiently exposed to O2 and allowed to, you know, oxidize) somehow "overrides" or "overpowers" or whatever you'd characterize it from underneath a coating designed and engineered precisely to permit or not allow such wavelengths to absorb/reflect as the coating on top is exactly the opposite of the billions of dollars a year coatings industry that has successfully (for decades) produced coatings that alter the appearance of titanium (and additionally, slow its oxidation to a near standstill over the life of the product).

There is no stronger argument here than reality: they are selling black and blue iPhones, so, clearly, there is a process and a coating (or set of coatings) being used to mask whatever amount of oxidized titanium maybe there as a substrate.

That is, after all, what the prefix "sub" means: under.

Glad you bring up print media, actually! How, in the world, then is not everything printed completely white when printed on white paper (which was generally bleached to get it there, anyway)?

Because, well, ink/dye/pigments are a thing. Like you said, it's no different.

Over time, through tons of wear, perhaps all coatings will wear off, then the titanium will oxidize over time and create a white finish, is this what you are suggesting? This is the *only* way that anything you've asserted is remotely true, which of course, now is a durability discussion of coatings.

See the post above: it plainly shows the images of IP14 and IP15 "whites". The IP15 is much more cream colored, because, just like the blue and black coatings, it has been purposely designed to perform that way in terms of spectrum absorbed/reflected. Apple likely will not release the exact formula ever, but it doesn't require disclosure to know that it's not 100% Titanium Dioxide.

Your car is likely made of a mix of metal, plastics, and bondo....yet, somehow, they manage to produce them in all sorts of colors...not a coincidence or anything functionally different.

Oh yeah, the process of oxidation of pure (e.g. uncoated) Titanium -> Titanium Dioxide, in a regular environment (read: not the 1200 degree autoclaves used to accelerate this process under pressure) is on the scale of *geologic time* to form even a mild white color, that, actually, itself is easily removed by wear, too. So, maybe you are right in about 10 million years, all our iPhones will be pure white by the process you describe (but, unfortunately, they will now also be incredibly brittle, because, well oxidation....) ;).

Last edited:

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Saw this on bluesky today seems they don't understand that refinement is sometimes better than a brand new design.

Honestly, I’ve always been a fan of the “S”/incremental years over the new design years because they actually create a better experience. I love those quality of life updates. I understand people like to feel like their phone is different with a new design, but I much rather have a focus on better performance, efficiency, cameras, etc., than a new design. For example, the iPhone 13 lineup seemed like such a better update to me than the iPhone 12, but the iPhone 12 seemed to be a bigger upgrade year.

Luckily, the design update this year actually seems to be a quality of life improvement, so I’m actually excited for it.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Good! So you do have a tracking number assigned to it. The next step is to call the UPS International Customer Service Center and request them to give you the full tracking number. After that your tracking history will populate and you can track it with us.

1-800-782-7892.

See @IceCool post. Thanks!

I'll wait. I now know it's moving. So I am in either wave 1 or 2.

And I'll wait cause having to deal with automated answering and a human trying their best to just not talk to you in beyond bothersome and tests my patience beyond what I am able bear. Also, having to call... thank you next. Lol

Wolfs

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2020
I did the same bought a 3 pack of braded usb a to c for the car it was a generic Chinese brand but have been using ones like that for my raspberry pi and Go Pro for the past few years and never had a problem so thought what's the harm its $5.99 and included 1x3ft & 2x6ft cables. If they don't work out then I'll return and buy some Anker ones.
My thoughts exactly! I grabbed these-

Attachments

• IMG_3349.png
    IMG_3349.png
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 52

trnjackie23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Annapolis, MD
Woo! Tracking using the phone # as a reference worked for me today, on track for Sept 22. SUPER exciting, I legit cannot wait to get rid of my Z Fold 4

The Apple watch I ordered did not show up though, guessing they're using Fedex for that which is urgh, the drivers in my area sucks compared to UPS.

I'll wait. I now know it's moving. So I am in either wave 1 or 2.

And I'll wait cause having to deal with automated answering and a human trying their best to just not talk to you in beyond bothersome and tests my patience beyond what I am able bear. Also, having to call... thank you next. Lol
Do what @IceCool did. He was able to get a Rep just fine. It's Sunday and some of us have nothing better to do LOL. But I do respect you have the patience to wait for it because I don't.

Reactions: Rick73tii and Wolfs

Clingpeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Woo! Tracking using the phone # as a reference worked for me today, on track for Sept 22. SUPER exciting, I legit cannot wait to get rid of my Z Fold 4

The Apple watch I ordered did not show up though, guessing they're using Fedex for that which is urgh, the drivers in my area sucks compared to UPS.
Yup still waiting on the watch but have been charged and changed to PTS...thanks will look out for any Fedex shipments

Reactions: Wolfs

Samantha124

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2015
The whole point of certain coatings (beyond protection or feel, so in the context of "color") is to alter the light reflected or absorbed by a material. Your assertion that because, somehow, there maybe some Titanium Dioxide (which would imply that it's been sufficiently exposed to O2 and allowed to, you know, oxidize) somehow "overrides" or "overpowers" or whatever you'd characterize it from underneath a coating designed and engineered precisely to permit or not allow such wavelengths to absorb/reflect as the coating on top is exactly the opposite of the billions of dollars a year coatings industry that has successfully (for decades) produced coatings that alter the appearance of titanium (and additionally, slow its oxidation to a near standstill over the life of the product).

There is no stronger argument here than reality: they are selling black and blue iPhones, so, clearly, there is a process and a coating (or set of coatings) being used to mask whatever amount of oxidized titanium maybe there as a substrate.

That is, after all, what the prefix "sub" means: under.

Glad you bring up print media, actually! How, in the world, then is not everything printed completely white when printed on white paper (which was generally bleached to get it there, anyway)?

Because, well, ink/dye/pigments are a thing. Like you said, it's no different.

Over time, through tons of wear, perhaps all coatings will wear off, then the titanium will oxidize over time and create a white finish, is this what you are suggesting? This is the *only* way that anything you've asserted is remotely true, which of course, now is a durability discussion of coatings.

See the post above: it plainly shows the images of IP14 and IP15 "whites". The IP15 is much more cream colored, because, just like the blue and black coatings, it has been purposely designed to perform that way in terms of spectrum absorbed/reflected. Apple likely will not release the exact formula ever, but it doesn't require disclosure to know that it's not 100% Titanium Dioxide.

Your car is likely made of a mix of metal, plastics, and bondo....yet, somehow, they manage to produce them in all sorts of colors...not a coincidence or anything functionally different.

Oh yeah, the process of oxidation of pure (e.g. uncoated) Titanium -> Titanium Dioxide, in a regular environment (read: not the 1200 degree autoclaves used to accelerate this process under pressure) takes *years* to form even a mild white color.
Oops I started something 🤣

DaRaider65

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2015
Lubbock, TX

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Me . I’m gonna try pickup in store on launch day
Sure. I have a 10/4-10/9 delivery date and no movement. That is quick enough for me that I will not bother with going to the store to try to beat it. Nor will I bother with chasing UPS to try to obtain more precise delivery info.

Initially I had a pre-pre-order with 9/22 store pickup but ApplePay hiccuped and by the time I resubmitted (~3 minutes, still the same ApplePay) Apple had kicked me out of 9/22 as a choice. I am just happy to be in October frankly since it appears the NaturalTitanium color Pro Max I chose is in demand.

Plagueis

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2017
Anyone getting insane multiple charges for their preorder? Mines in prepared for shipping since yesterday but I got hit hard on my apple credit card. When I used my Apple ID balance of $1900 first my card is getting charged for that and more it’s only 2 phones too. Total isn’t more than $2200z

IMG_0766.jpeg

stormchasejg

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
East Preston, UK
They may be headed to your local TJMAXX. They’re notorious for selling genuine Apple accessories that are in abundance/overstock. Found this out in the Apple Watch band thread.
I picked up the Nike Pride sport loop from TJMAXX only last week, glad I didn't buy one at apple last year now. Gonna have to go back and check to see if they have anything else closer to the holidays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.