Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

AeroSatan

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
NYC
And you thought the Apple polishing cloth subject was bad...😆
For real, I take that back. Stocking 20 separate $19 mediocre quality one sided polishing clothes was absolutely normal compared to this level of neuroticism over something that gets replaced every year on the dot. Mind boggling. Then again, half the people here are following flight manifests like it’s a,life,saving organ on that plane. Nothing makes sense anymore.

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Sometimes I think the cleaning cloth could be a decent investment because I'm constantly wiping my phone and watch down with isopropyl alcohol and tissue, or a random lens cloth. But eventually the lens cloth goes bad and just smears the oil around even after being thrown in a washer.

Reactions: AeroSatan

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
giphy.gif

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
That  logo looks smeared or something LOL. I’m in the same boat.

UPS delivered the case to the wrong address but I’m not even mad I didn’t get the case I’m more upset cause some stranger now has my info and got a free case and didn’t have the decency to try to find me. At least  refunded me no problem.

It’s not … great. My mind might change once I get the phone, but, I doubt it.

Hey, I’m glad that they refunded you. Sucks that they delivered to the wrong address…

Whistler Mac

Contributor
Apr 17, 2019
You cannot connect a USB-C Cable to an Apple 5W Charger. That's not possible. You need a dongle to support that I think.
Let the 5W Charger go. Get a usb-c power charger to replace it.

For a number of years, I've used a 60w power brick with a usb-c power charger (sold for MacBook chargers) and used a usb-c to lightning cable to charge my iPhones. You've seen how my battery health lasted at 100% for a year. It didn't harm the battery. iPhones, or other devices, take the level of power they need, you don't have to worry it forces 60w overcharging.

I'll just have to change the cable to usb-c for my new 15PM. I'll keep using the 60w power brick.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
" data-source="post: 32505685" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Thanks! Now I'm confused. What am I missing?

If you only want Apple OEM, you need this cable and the lightning to USB C adapter to use the 5W charger.

Lightning to USB Cable (1 m)

USB-C to Lightning Adapter

I personally would just get a reputable aftermarket cable and not use the adapter, like this one.

Anker USB C Cable, [2-Pack, 6ft] Premium Nylon USB A to USB C Charger Cable for Samsung Galaxy S10 S10+, LG V30, Beats Fit Pro and Charging Cord for USB C Port Camera (USB 2.0, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DC5PPFV?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_FS0D17KME5JGD8DSNV1C

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Am I the only one that totally understands and believes this?

She is doing this because she wants to avoid fast charging while also using official Apple products.

I don’t believe Apple makes a USB-A to USB-C cable. That is why she has to use a USB-C to Lightning cable to a Lightning to USB-C dongle. She is using the OG USB-A brick to limit the charge power to 5w as to not damage the battery like the fast charging bricks do.

Unless you buy really cheap off brand stuff, it’s fine. I don’t think Anker, Belkin or even Apple want their 30 watt chargers to be deemed battery killers. Slow charging is fine, but what if you have a day where you are on an 8 hour video call and your battery is low?. so you need to fast charge before heading out that night.

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Apple is very aggressive when it comes to charge speed management, you see this in electric cars too. An Audi Q4 etron goes through a clear charging curve where it starts at 150kW and ends somewhere in the 60-70kW range. But a Hyundai Ioniq 5 will just charge at 170kW all the way through. Similar to the Audi, Apple only lets phones charge at max speed for a small percentage, and above 70% it drops down to 10W, and then at 80% 5W, etc. I got a USB C power meter and the peak speed I see is 18W most of the time even though my iPhone should go above 20W, to about 22W according to 3rd party testing videos/sites.

Let the 5W Charger go. Get a usb-c power charger to replace it.

For a number of years, I've used a 60w power brick with a usb-c power charger (sold for MacBook chargers) and used a usb-c to lightning cable to charge my iPhones. You've seen how my battery health lasted at 100% for a year. It didn't harm the battery. iPhones, or other devices, take the level of power they need, you don't have to worry it forces 60w overcharging.

I'll just have to change the cable to usb-c for my new 15PM. I'll keep using the 60w power brick.
Problem is I don't like saying good byes and letting go of old things. I don't think I'll ever let go of the 5W Apple Charger. When I don't see it around. I start bugging out.

If you only want Apple OEM, you need this cable and the lightning to USB C adapter to use the 5W charger.

Lightning to USB Cable (1 m)

USB-C to Lightning Adapter

I personally would just get a reputable aftermarket cable and not use the adapter, like this one.

Anker USB C Cable, [2-Pack, 6ft] Premium Nylon USB A to USB C Charger Cable for Samsung Galaxy S10 S10+, LG V30, Beats Fit Pro and Charging Cord for USB C Port Camera (USB 2.0, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DC5PPFV?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_FS0D17KME5JGD8DSNV1C
Thank you! I ordered it and this is correct right?

1695103085830.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.