Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

hungryteresa

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I am coming from Android so I'll be fresh, I am paying for my iPhone outright. I have a Spigen case and screen protector ready to go šŸ˜… i am just very particular when i set up my phone and don't want to feel rushed
Youā€™ll be fine then! You can just leave the Apple Store with your new device. I think I personally might try to turn on the iPhone to see if everything works properly (like you can make phone calls and browse the web on cellular) while at the store. I wouldnā€™t want to make a genius appointment during the launch weekend!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm 100% serious. I just paid for it. I showed you guys the receipt.

This is going to be my setup to charge my iPhone 15 Pro Max.
Iā€™m not sure how this discussion has progressed because Iā€™m not caught up yet, but that cable needs an old style usb A end on it. The one on the 5 watt charger has USB A port. Your cable is usb c on one end. Lightning on the other. You know what, Iā€™m confused I need coffee.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Am I the only one that totally understands and believes this?

She is doing this because she wants to avoid fast charging while also using official Apple products.

I donā€™t believe Apple makes a USB-A to USB-C cable. That is why she has to use a USB-A to Lightning cable to a Lightning to USB-C dongle. She is using the OG USB-A brick to limit the charge power to 5w as to not damage the battery like the fast charging bricks do.
Yep, Iā€™m definitely going to need coffee.

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Yep, Iā€™m definitely going to need coffee.
Iā€™m with you - I donā€™t follow this. This is not how you optimize charging and extend battery life. Lithium ion tech has come a long way, and iOS and macOS software slows charge in the last 5%, and will trickle charge once the device is at 100%.

coffee needs to be on autodrip throughout the dayā€¦ fuel for the soul!

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Stateside like most others this morning! Much more efficient timing than last year for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0787.png
    IMG_0787.png
    283.9 KB · Views: 40

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
For those concerned about battery life and optimizing charging - thereā€™s a really simple answer here - charge your phone when it needs it, versus based on your own habits. Lithium Ion tech has been well optimized in the last decade. Every OEM has power management built in, to do their best at extending life of the battery in the device. Personally, I donā€™t charge my devices until Iā€™m looking at around 15-20% battery remaining. From there, it doesnā€™t matter what charger I plug it into. Optimized charging (if done during the overnight), will charge to 80%, and then wait until my alarm is set to go off before it finishes charging to 100%. This is by design. Itā€™s bad for a battery to sit at 100% all the time. This is true for any battery. This is why Apple started doing this with macOS too - though, its admittedly harder.

That said, you canā€™t live in fear about battery life. Most of us upgrade yearly anyway, and rarely have to be concerned with the long-term lifespan of our batteries. If you are, make sure you have AppleCare+ and youā€™ll be good to go.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Has anyone been able to place a hold for pickup yet? I could have sworn the past couple of years I was able to do it once it took off from Korea, but this year, still no option. I seem to be on the flight with everyone else that left Alaska.

julit0

macrumors demi-god
Apr 19, 2010
Torrance, CA
I purchased my iPhone 14 PM from apple financing but just now put myself on the IUP for the 15 PM and beyond. I really hope that I don't have to return my iPhone 14 PM....I kinda promised to give the 14PM to a family member...it's half way paid for.
Been in IUP for my 3rd upgrade now to the 15PM. I did the same thing, promising my 14PM to my daughter. Everything I've read to this point says to me (at least), no, I cannot keep my 14PM. IUP seems to really force the trade in.

What I did: ATT offered $830 in credits over 36 months for her old iPhone 12. So I upgraded her on ATT to a 15P with 256GB (cause you want the Pro-Res Recording) and I wanted it to last her the 3 years of the upgrade contract. This is only adding about $8/month to our cellular bill. I think Verizon had similar credit offers for device trade-ins.

To compare, Apple would have given about $250 maybe on Trade-in of the 12. so real resale value was dismal. And, the credit with ATT was about the exact same as what I owed - 50% of my 14PM's remaining balance.

You may be lucky to keep it since this is your first step into IUP and you're not really upgrading an IUP phone...but you may or should pay off your 14PM then. Hope it works out for you - but come next year, you may have to really turn in your 15PM. Good Luck!

rjruiz2

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
Has anyone been able to place a hold for pickup yet? I could have sworn the past couple of years I was able to do it once it took off from Korea, but this year, still no option. I seem to be on the flight with everyone else that left Alaska.
No, I tried but it keeps saying the sender doesn't allow for it. I think it has to clear customs in KY first??? Not sure.

Reactions: julit0

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
No, I tried but it keeps saying the sender doesn't allow for it. I think it has to clear customs in KY first??? Not sure.
Thanks, only options I see are to have it delivered another day, or to another address. I could have sworn by this point hold for pickup was an option. Hopefully once it arrives in KY.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
On my way to Kentucky , yee haw!!!!!!

So mad I have been fighting a cellulitis infection since 9-11 and havenā€™t been able to enjoy tracking my phone or watch much in these threads this year!!!
Oof! I hope youā€™re better soon. Yeah I wasnā€™t in the best of shape either. Take care!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.