Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters
As much as I love this thread, there is no chance I will be intentionally sacrificing any sleep for it. My sleep is too precious to me. The downside is waking up to 25 new pages. 😰

Good morning! Happy review day!
I love my beauty sleep too but will catch up once we have our iPhones. This is the way we run things around here 🥰. No sleep iPhone. No sleep September!

3 hours left! Hope everyone is enjoying their flight.

IMG_3506.jpeg

efjarvis

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2023
I am thinking of getting a Tesla but the lack of car play has me considering other EVs too. Tesla has the best charging network by far of course.
My parents gifted my husband I their Model 3 when my father decided he wanted a Model Y. While I miss the CarPlay, I’ve gotten used to not having it when my husband lets me drive it. It wasn’t love at first drive but it’s not completely awful.

julit0

macrumors demi-god
Apr 19, 2010
Torrance, CA
I am thinking of getting a Tesla but the lack of car play has me considering other EVs too. Tesla has the best charging network by far of course.
Got a Tesla M3P in June 2022 (Unfortunate price hike time) - Don't miss CarPlay one bit. Also the software investment and updates to the car is unmatched. I get more updates on the car than iOS, and it's not the same car I bought 15 months ago. It's pretty crazy. And, I did buy a CarLinkIt module that functions close to a Raspberry Pi setup - and I do have wireless CarPlay when I want it. Don't let that one feature stop you. When you put the pedal down and go to 60MPH in 3.2 secs, you forget all about CarPlay.

If you do go EV, I recommend you go with and EV company (i.e. Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, etc) vice a traditional car company. There's an interesting vid out there by the Ford CEO or executive something talking about how problematic it is to get software updates for their EVs. EV companies, if they control the hardware and software of a car - kinda like the Apple Ecosystem, just have so much better control over the evolution of the car.

Sorry it's off-topic and I'll get off the soapbox. 😆
IMG_3557.jpeg
IMG_3558.jpeg
IMG_3556.jpeg

I’m not sure how this discussion has progressed because I’m not caught up yet, but that cable needs an old style usb A end on it. The one on the 5 watt charger has USB A port. Your cable is usb c on one end. Lightning on the other. You know what, I’m confused I need coffee.
Thank you! I think it’s been fixed. Last night was a struggle here. It took well over 30 mins to figure Everything out. It gave all of us a headache. 🤕

Last edited:

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
Got a Tesla M3P in June 2022 (Unfortunate price hike time) - Don't miss CarPlay one bit. Also the software investment and updates to the car is unmatched. I get more updates on the car than iOS, and it's not the same car I bought 15 months ago. It's pretty crazy. And, I did buy a CarLinkIt module that functions close to a Raspberry Pi setup - and I do have wireless CarPlay when I want it. Don't let that one feature stop you. When you put the pedal down and go to 60MPH in 3.2 secs, you forget all about CarPlay.

If you do go EV, I recommend you go with and EV company (i.e. Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, etc) vice a traditional car company. There's an interesting vid out there by the Ford CEO or executive something talking about how problematic it is to get software updates for their EVs. EV companies, if they control the hardware and software of a car - kinda like the Apple Ecosystem, just have so much better control over the evolution of the car.

Sorry it's off-topic and I'll get off the soapbox. 😆
View attachment 2268842 View attachment 2268844 View attachment 2268846
I didn’t even know there was a way to get CarPlay to work on a Tesla. Learned something new today.

I didn’t even know there was a way to get CarPlay to work on a Tesla. Learned something new today.
You learn something new here every day. Especially from @julit0 pssssssh! If you are not reading @julit0 posts and not getting it that means something’s off. He’s a master. 💪

iPhone 15 Pro Max releases on September 22, 2023.

ATX_wapiti

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2021
Austin, TX
Good morning folks! Good lord, y’all wrote 25 pages of posts while I was asleep.

Couple of things though - was Mark Gurman wrong about the embargo? It is an hour past the time he said it would be lifted and I see no actual reviews posted yet. Edit - I just woke up and 🧠 is still 💤
Annnnnd Majin posted photos of the iPhone 15 Pro box and cable - https://x.com/majinbuofficial/status/1704077078839062630?s=46&t=YTiWoJulWS6H89Uf4gTLJg

WaitingForGuacamole

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2021
I’m with you - I don’t follow this. This is not how you optimize charging and extend battery life. Lithium ion tech has come a long way, and iOS and macOS software slows charge in the last 5%, and will trickle charge once the device is at 100%.

coffee needs to be on autodrip throughout the day… fuel for the soul!

So, I'm gonna need to go back and read all these pages, and I'm not an authority on LiIon charging, but whenever I hear people discussing charge optimization for battery health, safety, and not charging to 100%, I come back to this:

"is 100% really 100%?" or, "that 100% you're using - I don't think it means what you think it means 😉?"

What I mean by that is, if I were developing an OS for a device I was going to sell, and I didn't want to get sued by owners for lifetime and safety issues, I would probably do something like this:

Code:
0..10..20..30..40..50..60..70..80..90..100 <<-- what the battery reports to the OS
      0...20...40...60...80...100          <<-- what my OS would report to the user

I'd go out of my way to not make the user have to anticipate the charging need. I wouldn't let the user charge over the 80% true capacity, I'd shut off the charging circuit, and I'd shut off the phone when it got to about 15% to mitigate a complete drain.

YMMV, of course, and I know people have been able to tease out different behaviors with different habits, so take my inflation-adjusted $0.02 with a grain of salt! Cheers!

iLOLWUT

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
My husband and I got up at the same time and I got into the store probably 3 minutes before he did. He got my tracking number from UPS My choice right away.

Unfortunately his order hasn’t yielded anything yet. I don’t know about credit card charges because I don’t have the log in for that on my phone. I’d have to pull that up on the computer in my husband’s office and even he isn’t bothering with it. He’s confident it will be here Friday. Our adult daughter’s paying for her pink iPhone but my husband ordered it for her. No info on that one, either.

I’m hoping we get information today. I bet those phones come in to Kentucky with mine and then we will finally get an avalanche of tracking information. That happened with my iPhone last year.
It's so strange how the orders behave so differently, that's what I remember getting last year too, getting all the info the day before launch, a week after everyone else got theirs, insanity

Reactions: 5105973
Reactions: svish

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Good morning folks! Good lord, y’all wrote 25 pages of posts while I was asleep.

Couple of things though - was Mark Gurman wrong about the embargo? It is an hour past the time he said it would be lifted and I see no actual reviews posted yet. Annnnnd Majin posted photos of the iPhone 15 Pro box and cable - https://x.com/majinbuofficial/status/1704077078839062630?s=46&t=YTiWoJulWS6H89Uf4gTLJg

No, he said embargo lifts 6am Pacific. we have another hour to go.

MinimeJer05

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2020
Minnesota
Hoping I get some tracking today. If not, I’ll still be holding out for Friday delivery and just assuming UPS is just being lame to me, right after renewing MyChoice too 🙃.

When do reviews drop?

Reactions: POWERPLANTHOMER
Hoping I get some tracking today. If not, I’ll still be holding out for Friday delivery and just assuming UPS is just being lame to me, right after renewing MyChoice too 🙃.

When do reviews drop?
Less than 1 hour left. Today is your day! Let’s go!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.