Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I'm afraid I don't believe that about the government never doing anything to benefit people because they want to benefit people. Not that I'm so naîve that I don't think there's political calculation involved in anything.

But Apple and for-profits and some non-profits? It's the greed almost always. The fine woven is ridiculous. At first I asked myself, "isn't leather made from by products of food production that happens anyway? Well, I guess the leather processing is bad for the environment." But isn't producing "fine woven" probably bad for the environment, too? Vegans could always purchase a non-leather case. So it can't be just to please vegans, right? My conclusion: for the extra profit.

I mean you can make that conclusion the goal of anything a corporation does. After all, that’s the only thing they are chartered to do.

That said, the stars can align. What’s good for the environment can also be good for profits.

Is that the case here? It is impossible for us to know fully. Apple has a huge profit margin on their cases. Is that margin the same or larger on the new vegan cases? Do they anticipate the same sales volume as before? They could end up net neutral or worse off or they could end up better off.

Either way, if you want a real leather case there are tons of third party case makers out there. Apple for the longest time didn’t even sell cases! In my view the only real way to use an iPhone is without one.

Reactions: julit0

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
That was the one part of MKBHDs iPhone review video that made me cringe. It's like, I get that dbrand is a big sponsor for them and other big channels, but that part of his video just proves that he is just like the others and will market snake oil wrapped in a big red bow to you.

I don’t agree with that wholly, but I am getting annoyed at this trend of YouTubers trying to make their sponsors as integrated as possible into the video. It’s technically impressive, but it feels gross and irritating. I remember when Marques said he would never have sponsored content in his video, and then he changed it to having it as long as you make it obvious (fine with me), but now he’s making it super integrated. I don’t like it. It’s disappointing.

LiemTa

Suspended
Jun 2, 2014
For what it's worth, the Apple clear case was my favorite Apple case before I went caseless (stop autocorrecting to cashless oh my god) altogether. And I actually think the MagSafe ring looks cool!
The clear cases are absolute garbage. When I went to return mine at the Apple Store, I was walking in with it, and the Blue Shirt came up to me and straight up said “youre returning too?” I said yeah how did you know he replied you’re the third one today.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
My Andar arrived today. Great quality and materials. Soft nap leather on button surfaces. I got the color match I wanted with my Ridge wallet - but damn - that Action Button cutout is hard to get over right now. I'm worried the case will be thick enough to make it hard to press the Action Button (could be good or bad - too early to tell). This is my main issue with it for now. I'll keep it to try out first.
View attachment 2271123 View attachment 2271125 View attachment 2271126
I am not a case guy, but that looks sharp 👍🏾

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
I don’t agree with that wholly, but I am getting annoyed at this trend of YouTubers trying to make their sponsors as integrated as possible into the video. It’s technically impressive, but it feels gross and irritating. I remember when Marques said he would never have sponsored content in his video, and then he changed it to having it as long as you make it obvious (fine with me), but now he’s making it super integrated. I don’t like it. It’s disappointing.
Exactly! It is the way he integrated it that made it feel cringy to me. It was presented in a way like he was making a recommendation for it but in reality dbrand paid for that recommendation. I think that sort of thing just hurts his brand. How many other times has he made a sponsorship feel like a recommendation but it was less obvious?

Last edited:
Reactions: POWERPLANTHOMER

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Currently using an A7RIII.

WVuZYsq.jpg

Sony mirrorless. Delicious.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I ran my finger over my FineWoven and my leather case and the leather scratched while the FW didn't. If you're really going after it I'm sure the FW will scratch, but mine at least isn't as scratch prone as others and the Verge made it seem.
I haven't attempted to scratch mine and will handle it carefully as I do all my phones in cases. I plan to use it instead of returning it and hope all will be good. In my experience Apple cases work best on the Apple phones. I have a Bellroy leather case to try as well in case the FineWoven falls apart. 😄

millerwb

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2021
Bailey, CO - US
I would be absolutely delighted if the soft clear Peel case (non-MagSafe) that I bought bonds well enough to my MagSafe stand so I can be comfortable it won't fall. It should come Friday so I'll know right away if I'm going to have to risk nakedness.

Don't threaten us with a good time!

The time has come to go caseless.

Full discloser-I ordered a case with my phone.

Reactions: Wolfs

mizzourah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I actually don’t mind the X at all. According to Keyway’s explanation, the meaning behind it is “X marks the spot.” Who doesn’t like a bit of treasure hunting? 😉
hmmm...Agreed, but it's on your phone, which is the real treasure in the case and you have already found it. I think it's plasticky material breaks up the aesthetic of an, otherwise, beautiful case. I really love the color and then the X hit me and I really disliked it a great deal. But I am not one to think my opinion is anything more than just my own so if you get it, I truly hope you enjoy it and that it is what you ultimately want since it's similar to your Nomad case.

montanaco

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2016
Well a bit of good news for those with October ship dates. Mine was set for the 7th-10th, then dropped to the 2nd on Monday. While it still shows that on Apples order page, UPS tracking just hit My Choice with a 9/22 delivery date. Fingers crossed for the rest of you! 🤞🏼
Mine did that this AM, and then updated with the exact time frame and THEN reverted to “delivery date will be provided as soon as possible” It’s so weird

Reactions: BuddingMillionaire

Whistler Mac

Contributor
Apr 17, 2019
You just reminded me I need a new pair of wired headphones 🙄. I like to snowboard with wired because it’s tough to find tiny white EarPods on white snow.
That, or add the dongle to keep using the headphones you’ve already got?

• Haha
Reactions: Wolfs

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
You leave out the charger, headphones and still charge the same price
agree, Apple may have been right that regular people have tons of Apple USB-A chargers. I have a shocking amount of them and thats even after handing them out.

For USB-C that just isn't the case. For alot of people this is their first USB-C device, just as the iPhone was their first lightning device. Whats their excuse now? They don't even sell USB-A cables for us to use the old chargers first party!

So they will make disgusting amounts of dollars on people buying USB-C chargers that legitimately should have been included in the box this round. Or give us a USB-C to USB-A cable. A charger trade in program. Give us something Apple. Please. We'll pay for it. Work with us.

Reactions: Wolfs and mizzourah

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I just ordered it and I'm returning the fine woven case tomorrow.
It feels like everyone who’s ordered a FineWoven case in this thread and received it have returned it. It’s a small sample size, but this combined with the negative press - I wonder if it’ll spark Apple to say/do something.

Remember when people thought the cases were fake because of how cheap they looked and how the fabric was already fraying at the edges? Turns out it was real… yikes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.