Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
Yes. The reason I was asking was because I screwed up by updating to 17.0.1 today without thinking. I was hoping it wasn’t pre-installed with 17.0 so I didn’t have to update before restoring. If it’s pre-installed with 17.0.1 it’ll be even better since I can just update after a restore.
I think the only issue you'll have is if you are on the beta as the new phone will have to be running the beta before you can restore from backup.

Almost certainly they shipped with 17.0 but the phone will just update to 17.0.1 during the restore process if it needs to. Apple gets better and better with the setup/restore process every year and if I remember correctly when I worked seasonal at Apple in 'The Before Times' one of the phones shipped without updated software and they would just quickly update and then continue with the restore process during setup. Smooth as silk. Slick as snot. In a gif.

Thinking back on that, we had a Frankenstein dongle we'd use so we could connect two phones together to transfer data directly if a customer didn't use iCloud. I'm guessing that will be much easier this year since you can probably just use a USB-C to Lightening cable.

mizzourah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
🫦 MacRumors 🫦

5f5df61195d9c60015295b6d_WPM070.jpg
I'm here for it,

BreakingKayfabe

Suspended
Oct 22, 2020
Southern Cal
I think the only issue you'll have is if you are on the beta as the new phone will have to be running the beta before you can restore from backup.

Almost certainly they shipped with 17.0 but the phone will just update to 17.0.1 during the restore process if it needs to. Apple gets better and better with the setup/restore process every year and if I remember correctly when I worked seasonal at Apple in 'The Before Times' one of the phones shipped without updated software and they would just quickly update and then continue with the restore process during setup. Smooth as silk. Slick as snot. In a gif.

Thinking back on that, we had a Frankenstein dongle we'd use so we could connect two phones together to transfer data directly if a customer didn't use iCloud. I'm guessing that will be much easier this year since you can probably just use a USB-C to Lightening cable.
I’m actually planning on restoring an encrypted backup on my MacBook with the high speed USB C cable. I’m curious as to see how much shorter time that will take compared to year’s past with lightning.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I had a few extra minutes before my shift started, so I dropped into the Best Buy near work… Which is always dangerous. Turns out they had a decent selection of iPhone 15 / Plus / Pro / Pro Max cases out already! I grabbed the Incipio Cru! It feels better than the FineWoven
632a554347e65e77bfa6f16f737bf2ce.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.