Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
Does this method transfer the settings from your old phone? I’ve got things set just like I want them, and I’d hate to go through and reset all my preferences.
Either an iCloud backup OR the direct transfer should do your settings. I've used both before and never had an issue with settings. You will always have to redo Face ID and activate your cards in your wallet, though.

Reactions: Pipper99
Does this method transfer the settings from your old phone? I’ve got things set just like I want them, and I’d hate to go through and reset all my preferences.
No. Settings won't be transferred either. Everything gets reset.

I don't mind going back and changing the settings because it's something new and you can customize it the way you want too. You also tend to find more things. It's good to explore. I just go back to the settings app and start working my way down tab-to-tab.

Last edited:

rjjacobson

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2014
- I set my iPhone as new. Freshly factory-installed iOS.
- Then I wait 20-30 minutes for the indexing to be completed
- Then I apply the software update
- Then I turn on iCloud

iCloud data takes 2 weeks for me to finish the indexing and syncing under Wifi. So results vary on how much you load you have in your iCloud.
I cannot do a iCloud backup of phone my Comcast internet sucks. 200mbs down and only 10 mps up it was gonna take 8plus hours and my phone will be here by then so I will either do a restore from computer or choose the computer in the QuickStart Also I have too many apps, varied accounts to have different passwords and such and lots of data (health, and other things) so its better for me not to do install I need it to work at end of process not syncing data or me putting in data over couple weeks It just needs to work @TheYayAreaLiving 🎗️

billhelm

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Okay so the state of things for my order right now is deeply confusing. I have an in-store pickup order for the Pro Max for 1:30-1:45p today which still isn't ready for pickup. Meanwhile Apple Support is now saying that when I go to pick up, they might not be able to attach the T-Mobile trade deal like they told me they would. So I tried to place another order, but the order I placed last week for the iPhone 15 Pro with the T-Mobile trade offer was in the way. I cancelled that order, but it took an hour before I was able to place another order. By that point, the store I got the first 15 Pro Max from was sold out, and I had to place the order at another store. But that other store said pickup tomorrow. Right after I got my order through, they changed to pickup today, so if I were to place a new order or something they would let me pick it up today. I called Apple to ask if I could change the pickup time and they said it wasn't possible. What should I do? Do I go into the store today and try to negotiate the trade deal? Or do I cancel my order and wait until tomorrow when the order will be ready at the other store?
Mine never said ready for pickup. It didn't matter... it was still there.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003

I don't mind going back and changing the settings because it's something new and you can customize it the way you want too. You also tend to find more things. It's good to explore. I just go back to the settings app and start working my way done tab-to-tab.
That's weird @TheYayAreaLiving 🎗️ -- I've never had a problem with my settings transferring...

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
ugh on next up.. .

Estimated delivery
The delivery date will be provided as soon as possible.

Bananasaurus

Suspended
Aug 16, 2023
Out for delivery!

200.gif

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I’m sorry, but this is ridiculous… it’s just a phone! No need to be pushing and shoving and panicking over it.
Even more ridiculous because it's a store in a mall. Does no good to be first if you don't have the mobility to be to the store inside first. At least with outside store you are first if you make it first

Reactions: xxray

billhelm

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
smooth pickup at Mall of America Apple Store in Minnesota. in and out in 10 mins, picked up 2 phones. they've got this down to a science.

Now running the update so I can do phone to phone transfer.

Reactions: Stlcheer and SpecB

CarolG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2013
Northern California
Wow you’re right, just checked and they have everything around here except natural at most of the LA area Apple stores, last year it took me weeks to track one phone down!
Not available here in Northern CA. I can find blue and some black but no white or natural. I finally found a white one but it is in downtown San Francisco. I’m very happy my white titanium PM is being delivered later today!

Reactions: redbeard331

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I have pick up in 2 hours but still on progress and not ready for pick up. Though I did receive pick up text and email. 😣
2 hours to go and the apps still shows “Processing” for my pickup. I got the ready for pick up email but the app is not updating. Anyone on the same boat and was able to pick it up without issues?
My pickup is in less than 2 hours and it still does not say ready for pickup

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Either an iCloud backup OR the direct transfer should do your settings. I've used both before and never had an issue with settings. You will always have to redo Face ID and activate your cards in your wallet, though.
Yeah, I always do a restore from iCloud backup, I didn’t know if setting up as new, as she does, then downloads from iCloud, misses the part about moving over settings. I think I’m getting muddle headed.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX

I don't mind going back and changing the settings because it's something new and you can customize it the way you want too. You also tend to find more things. It's good to explore. I just go back to the settings app and start working my way done tab-to-tab.
I understand, thank you!

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Yeah, I always do a restore from iCloud backup, I didn’t know if setting up as new, as she does, then downloads from iCloud, misses the part about moving over settings. I think I’m getting muddle headed.
I guess that's possible. Even when I've had to set it up new (such as returning a defective unit and having to set it up new to download the software to latest version before doing the restore), I've never noticed losing my settings. But maybe I just wasn't paying close attention.

Reactions: Wolfs
It's honestly a personal preference. I just have my way of doing things. I don't like messing around with previous version data because bugs and glitches transfer over. Also the battery life bugs too.

Best to set it up as NEW. Turn iCloud on then. The experience will be alot better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.