Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I think what's happened is that with it getting thicker, the band connects to the watch at the same spot relative to the screen/top, making the additional thickness pushed below compared to the original watch.

I would assume that's correct. Keeping the watch in closer contact with the skin may also be an easy way for Apple to address some concerns over the accuracy of the heartrate monitor.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
How did you see Best Buy pickup availability? Even setting the weho store as the default all the watch 2 product pages list store pickup as unavailable.

Whenever you are on the hunt for the Series 2... go through Best Buy & Apple Store app they give you best chances of finding them.

I know when I was looking on the website for Best Buy it didn't give me any results for Apple Watches period whether they were Series 2 or older models, but when I went through the Best Buy app... more results came up.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Very interesting to see someone else notice this. I used the original watch since 4/24/15, and now the Series 2 since Friday (both SS). I love the original, size/weight didn't bother me at all. But the Series 2 I found noticeable right away. And when wearing sport & nylon bands, the specific hole that gave a perfectly snug (but not too tight) fit now feels too tight, and actually causes a bit of pain the way the sensor area is being pulled down onto my wrist/forearm. I find myself adjust it like crazy. When I go to the next hole to make it a bit looser, it feels too loose. I think what's happened is that with it getting thicker, the band connects to the watch at the same spot relative to the screen/top, making the additional thickness pushed below compared to the original watch.

This is exactly my observation. I have to move out to the next hole for my sport and nylon. Readjusting my leather loops is weird, too. I cannot quite get it "just right."

It's disappointing. And a bit painful. I got my original SS Watch on launch day, so I have been using one for a long time.

Reactions: profets

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
This is exactly my observation. I have to move out to the next hole for my sport and nylon. Readjusting my leather loops is weird, too. I cannot quite get it "just right."

It's disappointing. And a bit painful. I got my original SS Watch on launch day, so I have been using one for a long time.

Exactly the same here. I tend to use the Milanese and Link bracelets during the day at work, and those are quite comfortable, but I can't get over the fit with sport and nylon bands. I'm used to the weight right now, but that first day wearing it felt so unusual, I guess after wearing the original for so long.

kevin_tron_taco

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2016
Burbank, CA
How did you see Best Buy pickup availability? Even setting the weho store as the default all the watch 2 product pages list store pickup as unavailable.

The weho store is now showing sold out form me. If you just search for "Apple Watch series 2" and play around with the different stores on that tab, you'll see a few currently have then aluminum series 2 watches. None show any more stock of SS.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I picked mine up at the Gateway Mall location. Of course it was pouring rain outside and I didn't have an umbrella. Yay waterproof Apple Watch!

Just left the Target gateway with my new series 2 42 mm Alu with black sport band.

When i got there, they told me they couldn't find it, even though i got the email yesterday saying it was ready for pickup. Had to get a manager, who said that they inadvertently sold that specific one to someone else (AGH!) but assured me she had more. I was 100% sure that when she came back she was bringing me a series 1 watch, but she had the exact model I ordered. It works great, is noticeably faster than the AW0 I had for a few months then sold, and OS 3 is wayyyy more intuitive than OS1 or OS2 ever were.

Reactions: rpearlberg

greenhut

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
This was a mistake, i wouldn't expect it to happen to you

I would expect it to happen. Best Buy about an hour from my house showed an S2 in stock. I called and asked if someone could put hands on it. They looked for 10 min and couldnt find it.

macfanrutler

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
NJ
I'm located in NJ / NYC area. Anyone have any luck finding a AW S2? Strongly prefer SS 42mm
I haven't been able to find anything. There was one watch in Nanuet for about 10 minutes yesterday but that is all I have seen since Friday.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This was a mistake, i wouldn't expect it to happen to you

What do you mean? I just assume others in my area are trying the same thing and the stores that have it are kind of a far drive. I don't want to risk it unless I could purchase beforehand and pickup which doesn't seem like an option.

greenhut

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Been regularly checking Apple, BB, Target stores in the ATL area. While it was beginning to feel futile, I searched for an S2, alum, white sport (what I want), and suddenly was in stock at three Apple Stores in the ATL area, including the one closest to me! Qucikly ordered, got the ready for pickup, and my wife just picked it up.

Now only two Apple Stores in the ATL "area" still show availability for the same model - Augusta ans Haywood

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Did it all of a sudden pop up available? I've been checking apple, Best Buy, target, and pretty much every site and everything for me always says unavailable.

Yeah.. it only had it available at the Willow Bend.

There's a SS 42MM at NorthPark... but I'm passing up on the SS models..

demize

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Tampa, FL
I picked up a Series 42mm Space Grey last night at the Best Buy in Costa Mesa, CA. I used the "Pick Up Today" tab on the BB site and kept changing the store until I found one that had the version I was looking for. As others have said there is no way to purchase, reserve, and, in the case of this particular model as of last night, pre-order from the site.

I decided to head to the store and, as I expected I was met with "sorry we don't have any in stock" after a couple minute discuss the sales person mentioned they had just received a truck and he'd go check. When he came back he said he was a little bit shocked to find they 'had a bunch' that came in on the truck. From there it only took a couple minutes to finalize the transaction.

As I mentioned in the BB thread, I have no idea what 'a bunch' means. More so the point of this post is to give people searching in store hope. Keep at it, they're out there!

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
Whenever you are on the hunt for the Series 2... go through Best Buy & Apple Store app they give you best chances of finding them.

I know when I was looking on the website for Best Buy it didn't give me any results for Apple Watches period whether they were Series 2 or older models, but when I went through the Best Buy app... more results came up.

Best Buy inventory system is a bit janky for me. One BB store had it available today, then 10 minutes later (all before they opened) status on a 42mm SS SG changed to Pre-Order. Not sure I'm going to brave LA morning rush hour to check it out.

db02

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
Does anyone know how long you have to pick up an Apple Watch in-store if you select 'pick up in store'? Could I order one today and pick up on Saturday?

JCFIVE2

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
IMG_0427.png
IMG_0428.png
So yeah I was trying my luck in the BB app and I saw pick up today....then yeah clicked it coming soon :(

db02

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
Just a heads up, there is some additional inventory popping up in Apple Stores. I found a 42mm Silver Aluminum Series 2 this afternoon outside of Cleveland. Also there's one available outside of Toledo as well. They popped up around 1-3 3pm today if you want to check then on additional days. No clue if it was just random.

JCFIVE2

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
You just need to go in and pick it up. They'll sell it to you. The Burbank store has been showing stock for two days now.

I was going to but then I said if Im gonna spend this much money on a smart watch ill wait for the model I want.

The Space Black SS 42mm.

I guess Ill just wait for my preorder.

Reactions: kevin_tron_taco

greenhut

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Got lucky and picked up the S2 I wanted today at local Apple Store. At least in the ATL area, I have been hearing ATT Company Stores may have stock tomorrow. Give them a call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.