Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
it looks like west covina has a space grey aluminum in stock... but its sooooo farrr.

Also, from what I have read the stainless steel scratches pretty easily right? So if my concern is scratching, then jumping up to that model isnt really going to help with anything?

Turtle353

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
I found a 42mm space black SS with Milanese today in Knoxville. I had a friend pick it up and it is on the way to my house. I had ordered a aluminum with pearl nylon band but I cancelled it.

I want to get a nylon band for SS but I can't decide on color. It sucks the only black clasp is on the black band. Thinking orange for something fun.

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
it looks like west covina has a space grey aluminum in stock... but its sooooo farrr.

Also, from what I have read the stainless steel scratches pretty easily right? So if my concern is scratching, then jumping up to that model isnt really going to help with anything?

I was able to snag a 42mm SG alum from Best Buy in Downey today. It's amazing how hard it is to find them.

I currently have the SS Apple Watch (will sell) and it does get scratches easily. However, the nice thing about the scratches are that they're not really permanent as you can polish the steel with a polishing cloth. I really recommend the Cape Cod Polishing Cloth for the watch. Just rub on the scratches until cloth is black, and then wipe off with a clean microfiber cloth.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I was able to snag a 42mm SG alum from Best Buy in Downey today. It's amazing how hard it is to find them.

I currently have the SS Apple Watch (will sell) and it does get scratches easily. However, the nice thing about the scratches are that they're not really permanent as you can polish the steel with a polishing cloth. I really recommend the Cape Cod Polishing Cloth for the watch. Just rub on the scratches until cloth is black, and then wipe off with a clean microfiber cloth.

Have you compared it to how the aluminum one might scratch? I'd be curious also if you could polish the scratches off the aluminum one as well. I have a SS regular watch and rather like the scratches, it adds to the feel of it. Of course they aren't really scratches, just swirling and such. I'd consider a scratch something I could feel with my fingernail.

I'm still undecided between the aluminum one and the SS one. Cost isn't an issue, but functionality is. I abuse the heck out of my watches so am leaning towards the sapphire screen, but I keep hearing how the SS one is so susceptible with scratches.

I have to check them out in person one of these days. I'm also more interested in which one appears more matte as I don't want too shiny of a watch.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Have you compared it to how the aluminum one might scratch? I'd be curious also if you could polish the scratches off the aluminum one as well. I have a SS regular watch and rather like the scratches, it adds to the feel of it. Of course they aren't really scratches, just swirling and such. I'd consider a scratch something I could feel with my fingernail.

I'm still undecided between the aluminum one and the SS one. Cost isn't an issue, but functionality is. I abuse the heck out of my watches so am leaning towards the sapphire screen, but I keep hearing how the SS one is so susceptible with scratches.

I have to check them out in person one of these days. I'm also more interested in which one appears more matte as I don't want too shiny of a watch.

Aluminum is matte. SS is shiny.

Reactions: spinedoc77

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I have a 42mm silver aluminum waiting for me at Tyson's corner but now I'm rethinking it and waiting for the Nike version.

greenhut

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Which model you pick up?

S2, Aluminum, White Sport.

Upgraded from SS S0. Miss the SS look a little bit. Scuffed SS looks good. Scratched Aluminum, not. Really appreciate the performance increase. I also like the water expelling speaker. With my S0, speaker was useless for about 2 hours post shower.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Upgraded from SS S0. Miss the SS look a little bit. Scuffed SS looks good. Scratched Aluminum, not. Really appreciate the performance increase. I also like the water expelling speaker. With my S0, speaker was useless for about 2 hours post shower.

Would you go back to the SS when the S2 SS becomes available?

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008

Right there with you. I miss the SS. I got the Sport yesterday and I think I want the SS again.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
The only S2 watches I've been able to find around here in San Diego have been non-silver Aluminum, and only in 38mm. 42MM watches seem to be unicorns at this point, at least in my area. I gave up and ordered one. I may try again late in the week.

These stock shortages smell of artificial constraint.

Reactions: Kiwikat88

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Is anyone having any luck on the apple store app finding one to reserve in store? I remember last year, stock would update at random times throughout the day. I'm looking for a sg sport but no luck yet.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I disagree.

I know I was able to find a SS Series 2, but didn't pull the trigger. Got the SG Series 2 instead, but I have yet come across any iPhone 7+.

Not sure where you're looking but since the original stock of SS sold out (which was very early on) they haven't been restocked at all, anywhere in the NYC tri-state area. I check every day via the app and site. Conversely, using the iStockNow site, the 7+ has been available in multiple colors (including regular black today), multiple capacities, and multiple carriers, at many different stores in the same area, plus many others around the country, for the last few days, with restocking each day (which is easy to see because the model mix changes every day).

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
the 7+ has been available in multiple colors (including regular black today), multiple capacities, and multiple carriers, at many different stores in the same area

Well, in my area (DFW).

Only 7+ I see are on Craigslist... nothing available at any of my local Apple Stores, I have 6 in my area at about 30 mile radius. Checked at 8am to find the iPhone 7 Matte Black available for Verizon, but nada for the 7+.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Well, in my area (DFW).

Only 7+ I see are on Craigslist... nothing available at any of my local Apple Stores, I have 6 in my area at about 30 mile radius. Checked at 8am to find the iPhone 7 Matte Black available for Verizon, but nada for the 7+.

Apple allocating stock to blue states ;)

car__bomb

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Anyone know what shipment times are really like for the watch? Tempted to just order the thing... can't find it in stock around me. Looking for 42 mm space gray.
I pre-ordered on the 9th around 3:30am est and got 2-3 weeks shipping, arriving Oct 3-7. Just got email it shipped at 10:40am this morning. Due for deliver on Friday (2 days away). Shipping directly from China!!

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Is anyone having any luck on the apple store app finding one to reserve in store? I remember last year, stock would update at random times throughout the day. I'm looking for a sg sport but no luck yet.
I didn't use their app but I used their online form to 'check availability' for a watch I had put in my cart. Multiple stores were showing availability near me at different times (42mm, silver alum). Finally one of my closer stores had it so I grabbed it. It was at like 4pm yesterday.

ballpark1313

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I have no idea how you guys are finding stock. I check almost hourly here in Phoenix and I randomly search other cities to see if they have any stock and I've never seen anything available. I think Apple wants me to wait till mine ships and not pick one up early.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.