Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Apps on the iPad will continue to be limited compared to their desktop equivalents until Apple introduces swap memory to iPadOS. Until then, app developers have to code for the lowest common denominator, which depending on your viewpoint is either a basic new iPad 9 with 3GB of RAM or an iPad Air 2 with 2GB RAM (the oldest supported device capable of running OS15)

Apps may be compatible on iPads with lower end hardware but faster chipset and more RAM allows for better features like improved graphics, bigger canvases, more layers, etc.

Reactions: max2 and MajorFubar

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Apps may be compatible on iPads with lower end hardware but faster chipset and more RAM allows for better features like improved graphics, bigger canvases, more layers, etc.
That's definitely true in theory. Not wanting to labour to death a point I made in another similar thread but I'm really not convinced there are many apps out there which truly make use of the power available from M1 iDevices, and IMO, they never will, given the (current) limitations imposed by the OS. Sadly that thread got rather silly with one person trying to draw parallels between a basic iPad vs iPad Pro and a Mac Mini vs a Mac Studio without acknowledging that the Studio isn't just a faster Mini, there are fundamental differences in the hardware (such the ability to handle more screens).

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I love the iPad (pro), but I've come to the conclusion that Apple doesn't really have a plan for it now or at least it does not match with where I would like it to go.

The software sucks (for what I want to use it for), I've accepted that now and have decided to just stick to my 2018 Pro. Theres literally no reason to upgrade beyond that at the moment for me now. Maybe if/when OLED or AV1 comes along and the battery in the 2018 starts to show its age, but right now...

Best thing I can think of doing right now is 'voting with my wallet'. Apple doesn't want to show iPadOS some love then fine, I just won't buy into it again. I might on my own be absoluetely nothing, but if enough people stop buying them then they'll eventually notice. I'm sure that won't happen as the direction I'd love to see it go in will be considered too neiche, but hey, worth a shot (it's literally a case of not doing anything so...).

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
That said I still think a Mac laptop or desktop can do certain things better than the iPad Pro.
This is definitely true. But it does also work the other way round.

Both what the Mac can do that the iPad can't, and what the iPad can do that the Mac can't, are fairly specific compared to what general Joe public use computers for.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
A typewriter, a rolodex, calendar, web browser, music player, these are the things an iPad can replace. If there's no app, you can't do it on an iPad.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
A typewriter, a rolodex, calendar, web browser, music player, these are the things an iPad can replace. If there's no app, you can't do it on an iPad.
A TV, A piece of paper and a pencil, a sketch book, a camera, a video recorder, an image editor, a video editor, a music sequencer, a mixing desk, a tutor, a translator, a map, a Filofax, a musical instrument, a games console, a synthesiser, a flight book, a recipe book, an e-reader, a health tracker, a finance and budget tracker, a secure file storage vault, your wallet, a computer.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I love the iPad (pro), but I've come to the conclusion that Apple doesn't really have a plan for it now or at least it does not match with where I would like it to go.

The software sucks (for what I want to use it for), I've accepted that now and have decided to just stick to my 2018 Pro. Theres literally no reason to upgrade beyond that at the moment for me now. Maybe if/when OLED or AV1 comes along and the battery in the 2018 starts to show its age, but right now...

Best thing I can think of doing right now is 'voting with my wallet'. Apple doesn't want to show iPadOS some love then fine, I just won't buy into it again. I might on my own be absoluetely nothing, but if enough people stop buying them then they'll eventually notice. I'm sure that won't happen as the direction I'd love to see it go in will be considered too neiche, but hey, worth a shot (it's literally a case of not doing anything so...).
Yup, voting with one’s wallet is all anyone can and should do if they want to be heard by Apple at all (not to mention, buying what works best for oneself just makes sense).

Maybe you could stick to non-Pro iPads if those meet your expectations and needs.

FYI- Apple charges $100 USD to replace an iPad battery, so IF you’re otherwise satisfied with your iPad, and if replacing the battery will extend the life of it for a decent amount of time (but even as little as a year, depending what you buy next), then it would make financial sense to just replace the battery (least amount of money over most amount of time). But that doesn’t take into account if you want new features, etc. just if the battery is the only issue.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
"$2000-$4000 iPad"? Where and why would anyone pay that amount for a tablet?
Some people do. Especially when it can cost $2400 with all the bells and whistles and then add a $350 magic keyboard. Not to mention other accessories to bring it to a truly PRO level. $3K - easy.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
That’s the price range of an iPad Pro once you add in all the accessories (mice, magic keyboard, Apple Pencil) and Apple Care (I live in Canada so prices are higher here than the US due to CAD being a weaker value than USD). Personally I think anyone that’s going to spend that much money on an iPad should just get a MacBook Pro instead for the superior OS alone
Some people prefer the iPad. I know I do. And I have the same dreams as the OP but Im not holding my breath.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Why did you ever expect a tablet to be a full blown computer replacement? I for one don't, it's a handy tool that serves as an extension of a laptop/desktop.
I think it’s supposed to be a “magical piece of glass”.. if I remember correctly. Shucks! Apple has done it again. Got me all in a tizzy…lol

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

Or it works in a web browser. Regardless, the same logic can be applied to any other computer platforms like Mac, PC, Apple Watch, Palm etc. If there is no program to achieve what you want, you can’t do it on that platform.

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016

Sales are down. Let's see what Cookie has for us at WWDC.

Sampire51

Suspended
Apr 27, 2022
Apple is somewhat at fault here. They advertised the iPad as "your next computer" but it's basically a big iPhone at this point.

You don't know how many people I have talked out of buying an iPad when I just happen to be at Best Buy browsing the Apple section. For some reason people always talk to me like I work there. lol

I just ask them what they plan to use it for and most of the time they need an actual computer and not an iPad, but they have fallen for Apple's marketing.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Apple is somewhat at fault here. They advertised the iPad as "your next computer" but it's basically a big iPhone at this point.

You don't know how many people I have talked out of buying an iPad when I just happen to be at Best Buy browsing the Apple section. For some reason people always talk to me like I work there. lol

I just ask them what they plan to use it for and most of the time they need an actual computer and not an iPad, but they have fallen for Apple's marketing.

Like databases over spreadsheets. Oy. And try to really convince them that they would REALLY rather do it on a database package.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
If we look outside the rich countries, for the large majority of people, the smartphones ARE their computers because the do not have a Mac/PC equivalent.

I think the fault is not Apples but a hard core Mac crowd that complains on a product that was never intended for them.

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015

I think it's extremely inaccurate to say the iPad is a "big iPhone". You'd have to ignore entire iPad only features for that, features that make it more useful than an iPhone in several situations.

I think it's also important to remember, that "your next computer" doesn't automatically mean you throw out your desktop/laptop and you do literally everything on your new iPad. Regardless on how someone feels about the iPad as a computer, it's undeniable that folks are able to find value in the iPad as their primary device or secondary device.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
"$2000-$4000 iPad"? Where and why would anyone pay that amount for a tablet?

My 80+ YO uncle needs a new iPad, and was looking at prices. He needs cellular because he worked for a telco that gave all retirees lifetime cellular access as a retirement benefit (and they haven't clawed it back, yet) and he's freaking out at the price premium for cellular, and prices just in general. He doesn't have wifi, unbelievably, but gets great cell service.

Yeah, prices are too high, especially for the pro size, which would appeal to retirees that have vision issues. *shrug* Premium size, premium price, limited market.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I misspoke - I have the 1TB one. Did it so I'd get the 16GB RAM.
I’m curious, have people done any tests as far as how the 16gb is utilized by the software and how much difference it makes in usage compared to the lower ram configurations?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I’m curious, have people done any tests as far as how the 16gb is utilized by the software and how much difference it makes in usage compared to the lower ram configurations?

Here’s my current RAM usage on the 2021 Pro 12.9 with just a handful of apps and Safari tabs open. I don’t think I’ve experienced any reloads so far today. That said, I wouldn’t have gotten 16GB RAM if I didn’t need 1TB storage.

Usage-Memory 2021 12.9 16GB 2022-05-13 at 1.32.05 PM.png

And here’s the RAM usage on my mini 6 which is pretty much reload city.

One of the webcomics apps I use on the mini appears to have a memory leak and will crash and forget my reading progress if I happen to read too many chapters in one sitting which kinda sucks.

Usage-Memory iPad mini 6 2022-05-13 at 1.37.58 PM.png

Reactions: subjonas

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
That 1TB wifi iPad Pro is worth $2,699AUD, exactly what base 14" Macbook pro's have been selling for.

Reactions: max2
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.