Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Affinity Photo
Affinity Designer
Procreate
Lumafusion
AUM
Cubasis
I use Affinity and Cubase/ Cubasis. I don't agree that the iPadOS versions are as powerful as the MacOS ones. I might concede that the Affinity iPad versions are more useful because of the Apple Pencil but that's more hardware related. Cubasis can't do half the stuff Cubase Pro can. Cubasis has always been branded as the lightest version of Cubase, and I think that still applies here.

Reactions: MajorFubar

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Examples?
A poster already gave a few, to which you conceded in your above comment, to my statement:

’But the very simple fact that a good deal of very ‘pro’ and advanced desktop class apps DO exist on the iPad and in most cases are either; on par with their desktop equivalent, better their desktop equivalent or don’t even have a desktop equivalent’

Dismissing an iPad pencil as not part of the criteria doesn’t wash, it’s a unique feature that the mac doesn’t have, so when comparing the two - even from a software only perspective, it’s relavent.

But,

Lightroom,
Affinity Photo,
Affinity Design,
Luma Fusion,
Cubasis,
Drafts,
Vectornator,
Shapr3D,
Shortcuts,
BusyCal,
Scaniverse,
Procreate
Magic plan,
Canvass,
Concepts,
Beastcam,
Adobe Capture,
Good Notes,
Plus many more.

Each one of these is very suitable to a professional working in a sector where the app is useful, regardless of desktop comparisons. Some of them are on par with their desktop equivalent, some of them are better than, and some of them don’t exist on a traditional computer. As I stated in my OP.

Last edited:

Richu

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2021
Have an inconvenience? Made a bad decision? NOT MY FAULT, LET’S SUE, ’MURICAAA!

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have a particular distaste for people who cite misinformation while purporting to correct other people.
Yeah, a lot of misinformation is stated as fact on online public forums because of the whole anonymity/no accountability thing. I guess people either don’t want to be bothered to type in things like “I believe” or “probably”—which in a lot of cases is actually needed to let readers know not to take the statement as coming from an actual authority on the matter—or people feel they do have authoritative knowledge and are absolutely certain their claim is true. I’m sure we’ve all been there and ended up wrong, which is really bad in a public forum because literally anyone in the world could come along and read what we wrote as “fact” and it could negatively influence their life to some degree. So I try to remember that and always use qualifiers like “I think” when I’m not 100% sure about my statement—but also when I am 100% sure, I try to cite a higher authority (depending on the nature of the statement, if citation is appropriate and possible). It’s extra work, but it does a few very important things—it gives authority and credence to my claim, it gives me an out if the higher authority happens to be wrong, it gives the reader a thread to follow for more info, and it allows me to fact check myself before I post. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve nonchalantly fact checked myself only to find my memory was off and I was wrong. Saved me a lot of embarrassment lol.
So I share your annoyance. I wish people would try to do better. It’s more important than they seem to think. But at the same time, I know I’ve messed up here and there, so… haha.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I don't mind people citing their expertise/credentials - it's the snide comment that is bothersome. Just state your background and why a particular statement is not true based on that expertise and drop the rudeness.
It's the arrogance that gets me - Blammm.. I'm this and you're wrong.
No one knows who one is until one states it, and stating it doesn't make it true.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I haven’t read all 11 pages of this thread, but my iPads handle 90+% of what I need a laptop to do these days. I have a mini 6 and a 12.9” M1 iPad Pro. Now, what I do might be vastly different from what the OP does, but there’s no way any of it rises to a class-action suit level. Actually, for me, the iPad is better since I can’t use an Apple Pencil on a MacBook screen.

In fact, I almost feel like my M1 MacBook Air is going to waste sitting on my desk acting like a desktop computer, docked to a 32” display, ethernet, external SSD, external mechanical keyboard, corded mouse, etc. Probably should have gotten an M1 mini instead since I only need it to be mobile maybe 1% of the time.

OP should just sell their iPad and move on to a different product.

The iPad is not a keyboardless MacBook. Want a keyboardless laptop? Buy a Microsoft Surface. Just don’t expect it to be finger-friendly like an iPad.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
That’s the price range of an iPad Pro once you add in all the accessories (mice, magic keyboard, Apple Pencil) and Apple Care (I live in Canada so prices are higher here than the US due to CAD being a weaker value than USD). Personally I think anyone that’s going to spend that much money on an iPad should just get a MacBook Pro instead for the superior OS alone

Why not both? They are not mutually exclusive.

Hoo Doo Dude

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2010
So if I’m unable to fix my car with the tools I bought at the hardware store in an automotive tool kit should I sue the hardware store?

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well nobody expects a gaming console to run Microsoft Office. An iPad is advertised as the “future of computing” and a “laptop replacement.” It doesn’t sound logical to buy a $2000-$4000 iPad only for it to be rendered useless by software that sucks and can easily run on all those $500 iPads that most children own

I’m curious why do you expect the iPad to be a Mac essentially?
Better yet did you cheer or were against the commercial “what’s a computer”?

I’m going to sound like Steve Wozniak broken record just about now, but if you have the patience to lookup the full Apple Knowledge Navigator on YouTube (over 5mins long dating back to 1987/88) you’ll have a FULL understanding what Apple’s original and mostly still vision of what the iPad was supposed to be.

Also note Job’s physical health and condition during launch of the OG iPad to understand why it wasn’t aimed to be a Mac in any way shape or form in the first place.

Alas, like you I wanted it to be - even if just to have Logic Pro and XCode … that quickly faded away when I saw the M1 going into the iPad Air 5 and just simply downgraded to the mini and my expectations and I’m happy now :D

I don’t think a lawsuit for iPadOS would win but I’ll be very interested to see the effort and how far it goes though. Maybe the end goal is to get enough public debate that pushes apple further or faster, we all don’t know what the future plan(s) are for iPadOS.

Reactions: Reggaenald

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
Well nobody expects a gaming console to run Microsoft Office. An iPad is advertised as the “future of computing” and a “laptop replacement.” It doesn’t sound logical to buy a $2000-$4000 iPad only for it to be rendered useless by software that sucks and can easily run on all those $500 iPads that most children own
But you know going into it that the iPad is limited so why spend $2k when the $329 iPad will do the same?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
But you know going into it that the iPad is limited so why spend $2k when the $329 iPad will do the same?
Why use 2k as the goalpost here? Obviously a 329 iPad doesn't do 'the same' as a 2k one, simply from a storage space and ram perspective.
Really you mean to do is to cite the differences between 329 and 1k, of which there are plenty, though at a much less hyperbole headline.

Last edited:

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
So why do Apple still sell laptops then ?
The iPad is, on the most part Apple's answer to the $300 Windows laptop. If you need a computer for entirely non-work related stuff the base iPad is pretty much the best machine you can buy. All their marketing is aimed squarely at the casual user or perhaps students.

The lines have been blurred by the Pro line but the OP would have been 100% better off buying a Macbook and would likely get laughed out of court. Apple never made the promises the OP is listing as faults and I don't think anyone brought an iPad Pro for those reasons.

I use one every day but then again I much prefer the tactility and speed of iPadOS to MacOS and Windows.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
May I be your lawyer please?
I have all the credentials and experiences needed for this case.
Because it will fail no matter who represents it so it’s ok for me to not know or do anything but still get paid big time.

Reactions: bluespark

Marswarrior462

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
Calgary, AB, Canada
I may have made the mistake of buying an iPad Pro based on hopes for future software updates, but I plan on keeping it. I’ve given up hope for a more desktop-like software update, so I’m instead saving my money up for a MacBook Pro and will use my iPad as a MacBook accessory. Obviously, the iPad was never meant to be a Mac replacement, but just an expensive Mac accessory

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
I may have made the mistake of buying an iPad Pro based on hopes for future software updates, but I plan on keeping it. I’ve given up hope for a more desktop-like software update, so I’m instead saving my money up for a MacBook Pro and will use my iPad as a MacBook accessory. Obviously, the iPad was never meant to be a Mac replacement, but just an expensive Mac accessory
Loose the last sentence and enjoy your newfound wisdom.

Last edited:

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Look, it's okay. We all make choices that don't pan out the way we wanted. Besides, the iPad and Mac is one solid combo of tools for your toolbox.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Besides, the iPad and Mac is one solid combo of tools for your toolbox.
Yes. If you’ve got an iPad and one of an iMac, MacBook, Mac Mini or Mac Studio you’ve got all basses covered for work and entertainment. An iPhone just adds to the mix.

The iPad is likely far more capable than I suspect simply because I’m not aware of all the apps available for it. That said I still think a Mac laptop or desktop can do certain things better than the iPad Pro.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Apps on the iPad will continue to be limited compared to their desktop equivalents until Apple introduces swap memory to iPadOS. Until then, app developers have to code for the lowest common denominator, which depending on your viewpoint is either a basic new iPad 9 with 3GB of RAM or an iPad Air 2 with 2GB RAM (the oldest supported device capable of running OS15)

Reactions: jdb8167
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.