Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
Personally I think you are deciding for everyone what your wants are. I think people should/will do research to ensure they know exactly what they are getting and understand the features/benefits of said device. If what a company offers does not meet your requirements, select something else. Pretty simple.
There’s more to it than that. It’s not just about buy it or don’t. Apple has customers that have been with them for decades. Apple products are not independent. They’re part of an ecosystem that apple has built intentionally. Customers don’t need to simply not buy. They need to be vocal about the shortcomings as well.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
There’s more to it than that. It’s not just about buy it or don’t. Apple has customers that have been with them for decades. Apple products are not independent. They’re part of an ecosystem that apple has built intentionally. Customers don’t need to simply not buy. They need to be vocal about the shortcomings as well.
It is just buy it or don’t.

The idea that a customer has done Apple a favor by buying their products for a long time, and that Apple owes them, has zero basis. They got the products they paid for. They weren’t donations. They weren’t purchases made out of pity. They were never forced to continue buying, they chose to buy each product because they thought it was good value. Obligation 100% fulfilled.

The idea that Apple should be punished by being beholden to the customers’ wishes for future products all because Apple had the audacity to make their devices function extra well together, also makes zero sense. None of these extra functions are stopping a customer from buying a competing product that doesn’t have the extra functions.

Want is one thing (fine to be vocal about that), but I truly cannot understand this entitlement.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Well nobody expects a gaming console to run Microsoft Office. An iPad is advertised as the “future of computing” and a “laptop replacement.” It doesn’t sound logical to buy a $2000-$4000 iPad only for it to be rendered useless by software that sucks and can easily run on all those $500 iPads that most children own
Sounds like marketing isn't your strongest area.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think people should have figured it out by now. The iPad has been around for years. People should know their own use cases and know if an iPad can replace a computer for you. Maybe do a bit of research before splashing the cash. Don’t blame others for poor judgment skills.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
They make a $300-350 keyboard and trackpad for it, and it supports a mouse as well. And it has an M1.

That gives a lot of reason to consider it more than a media device.
I have the magic keyboard but for me the iPad will never be more than a consumption device. I’m ok with that. I’m ok with having a MacBook and iPads because that’s the set up that meets my needs.

People should know what they want out of a device, do some research and then buy the device that meets their needs. Instead of blindly buying something based on marketing hype and then moan about it later.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Why would you buy all of those things for an iPad instead of just buying a laptop? So far as AppleCare, I never buy it, nor have I needed it.
I have a limit of £1,000 for an iPad. That has to include any accessories and Apple care. I have a MacBook too so there is no way I'm spending laptop money on an iPad. For me the better set up is to have an iPad Pro (not maxed out) and a MacBook Air. So I have the better consumption device (iPad) and a MacBook if I need to do anything which is better suited to a computer. My computing needs are very simple so in theory I could just buy an iPad. However I have no problem with having multiple devices.

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016

There seems to be a weird sentiment here. As if iPad OS is some kind of masterpiece that must not be tarnished. If people want a product that's going to just stay as it is, maybe an iPad isn't the right purchase, because Apple changes stuff every year. Unless you want to say goodbye to app updates and security updates.

People who want certain improvements for the iPad have just as much right to have feature requests as somebody who thinks things are perfectly fine just the way they are. The thing is the person with the latter opinion will have to get used to change because Apple is going to continue to change the software and design of this product.

iPad sales are in YoY decline, and money talks, so that might signal to Apple for bigger changes.

Reactions: Digitalguy

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Personally I think anyone that’s going to spend that much money on an iPad should just get a MacBook Pro instead for the superior OS alone

You just settled your own argument. Except it’s not about how much someone spends. It’s about what type of computing device someone is in need of.

If you want a tablet, Apple offers the iPad. If you want a computer, they have the Mac. If you want a tablet that’s more like a computer, Apple doesn’t offer that, but competitors do (see: MS Surface).

I’d be curious your legal justification for a class action lawsuit. What has Apple done wrong, legally speaking?

Apple appears to be working backwards with iPadOS. They started with the simple, dumbed down UI of iOS and have continuously added more advanced features as they’ve discovered ways to provide those in a touch-first environment. It may take way longer than some of us want, but eventually iPad OS will be a very useful system beyond the consumption tasks that tablet are more commonly known for at this point in time.

Personally, I’m still very happy with my iPad, even if it isn’t able to do everything I want it to do and that I know it’s capable of doing if it were unleashed.

Reactions: rui no onna

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
There seems to be a weird sentiment here. As if iPad OS is some kind of masterpiece that must not be tarnished. If people want a product that's going to just stay as it is, maybe an iPad isn't the right purchase, because Apple changes stuff every year. Unless you want to say goodbye to app updates and security updates.

People who want certain improvements for the iPad have just as much right to have feature requests as somebody who thinks things are perfectly fine just the way they are. The thing is the person with the latter opinion will have to get used to change because Apple is going to continue to change the software and design of this product.

iPad sales are in YoY decline, and money talks, so that might signal to Apple for bigger changes.
There’s a difference between these two statements:
“I want such and such.”
“I deserve such and such.”
The former is reasonable, but the latter is what OP and some here are saying, and it’s not reasonable.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Personally, I’m still very happy with my iPad, even if it isn’t able to do everything I want it to do and that I know it’s capable of doing if it were unleashed.
I’m interested to know what it can’t do for you. I know there are several things that don’t work so well, but always interested in genuine issues

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I have a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro. Apple has always limited the usability of the iPad’s software, not adding features that should’ve been added long ago. There’s no more excuses. It’s 2022 and we still don’t have: proper external monitor support, proper multitasking with more windows, full pro apps (not the half assed apps we always get on the App Store and first party apps like iMovie, real apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Lightroom Classic, real Photoshop, Pixelmator Pro, Xcode, Compressor, you get the idea), a weather app, a calculator app, optimized battery charging, external camera support, proper file management (like being able to format, fix or otherwise edit external drives, transferring files at the full capable speed USB-C and Thunderbolt on newer iPads should deliver, etc) and a whole bunch of other stuff the iPad needs. I’m not asking to put macOS on the iPad, just fix the software. I got my hopes up for iPadOS 15, but that turned out to be not only a massive disappointment, I consider it to be the worst update ever. Apple has clearly said no to merging the Mac and iPad operating systems, and has always advocated for keeping the iPad and Mac separate according to how they wish it to be, and considering that and all those awful lackluster iPadOS updates, I don’t think they will ever release the iPad from its software prison. The iPad is just as expensive as a decent laptop and it’s far more powerful than most laptops in its price range. Just give us the software it deserves. I have a feeling iPadOS 16 will be even worse than 15. In that case, someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against Apple and the iPad (especially the iPad Pro) should be boycotted until Apple overhauls the software (if they ever do, which they probably never will)
What law do you allege was violated?

Reactions: subjonas

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
You just settled your own argument. Except it’s not about how much someone spends. It’s about what type of computing device someone is in need of.

If you want a tablet, Apple offers the iPad. If you want a computer, they have the Mac. If you want a tablet that’s more like a computer, Apple doesn’t offer that, but competitors do (see: MS Surface).

I’d be curious your legal justification for a class action lawsuit. What has Apple done wrong, legally speaking?

Apple appears to be working backwards with iPadOS. They started with the simple, dumbed down UI of iOS and have continuously added more advanced features as they’ve discovered ways to provide those in a touch-first environment. It may take way longer than some of us want, but eventually iPad OS will be a very useful system beyond the consumption tasks that tablet are more commonly known for at this point in time.

I agree, except I’d point out that iPadOS is already a very useful system for some/many. It will continue to improve and become useful to more, but also I don’t know if it will ever fit everyone’s definition of useful. I don’t know if it will ever reach perfect parity with macOS. Apple seems to have a different focus for iPadOS. It’s more for the everyday person, so it’s focused on having the simplest UX possible. And to make sure it does, Apple has made it a much more controlled environment than macOS. So it seems to me that it will never be a complete equivalent to macOS, unless Apple changes its underlying philosophy.
I think because of this, some people who need more than iPadOS don’t hope for iPadOS to become their macOS replacement, but rather hope for a dual boot, or some kind of macOS virtualization. Or they just resolve to use remote desktop, which is already available. Or just continue to use a MacBook.

Reactions: cupcakes2000

andrewv69

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2021
Outer Space
i'm not a lawyer, but wasted potential isn't grounds for a lawsuit as far as i know.

that being said, it's always a shame to see hardware potential go to waste. ipad with m1 should definitely be able to run macos, there's no real reason it can't. it's like using the hubble space telescope to take pictures for google earth. the hardware/potential is there but it's artificially held back, just like a lot of apple's products.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I agree, except I’d point out that iPadOS is already a very useful system for some/many. It will continue to improve and become useful to more, but also I don’t know if it will ever fit everyone’s definition of useful. I don’t know if it will ever reach perfect parity with macOS. Apple seems to have a different focus for iPadOS. It’s more for the everyday person, so it’s focused on having the simplest UX possible. And to make sure it does, Apple has made it a much more controlled environment than macOS. So it seems to me that it will never be a complete equivalent to macOS, unless Apple changes its underlying philosophy.
I think because of this, some people who need more than iPadOS don’t hope for iPadOS to become their macOS replacement, but rather hope for a dual boot, or some kind of macOS virtualization. Or they just resolve to use remote desktop, which is already available. Or just continue to use a MacBook.
Exactly this. Well put.

Reactions: subjonas

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
A class action suit does not require a breach of law; rather, the plaintiffs claim some damage or injury due to the actions of the defendant. It's a civil lawsuit.
I do this for a living, have written fairly extensively on class action litigation, and have been quoted by federal courts on class action practice, but I guess I'll just defer to the internet expert who thinks you can sue someone without alleging a violation of law.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I do this for a living, have written fairly extensively on class action litigation, and have been quoted by federal courts on class action practice, but I guess I'll just defer to the internet expert who thinks you can sue someone without alleging a violation of law.

Deleted. No response.

Last edited:

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I’m a ten meter high giant. I live in a mountain cave, I have been sighted by humans but luckily these sightings have been debunked.

What I wrote is just as believable as what every other person who writes anything on an Internet forum - including you. So yes, everyone on the internet says stuff, but also is what you, I or the OP are all doing with our posts.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I’m a ten meter high giant. I live in a mountain cave, I have been sighted by humans but luckily these sightings have been debunked.

What I wrote is just as believable as what every other person who writes anything on an Internet forum - including you. So yes, everyone on the internet says stuff, but also is what you, I or the OP are all doing with our posts.

I don't mind people citing their expertise/credentials - it's the snide comment that is bothersome. Just state your background and why a particular statement is not true based on that expertise and drop the rudeness.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I don't mind people citing their expertise/credentials - it's the snide comment that is bothersome. Just state your background and why a particular statement is not true based on that expertise and drop the rudeness.
I have a particular distaste for people who cite misinformation while purporting to correct other people.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
You can blame the OS as much as you like. But the very simple fact that a good deal of very ‘pro’ and advanced desktop class apps DO exist on the iPad and in most cases are either; on par with their desktop equivalent, better their desktop equivalent or don’t even have a desktop equivalent, shows that the proclaimed hurdles due to the OS are surmountable and it’s more an issue from the developers side of things.

I’m not saying I don’t have a wish list of what I want iPadOS to become - but it is not the big barrier people make out, as evidenced by the apps that exist already.

Examples?

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
There is no such thing as "pro" hardware - only professional usage of hardware. As professional use differs, so will the requirement for hardware. The same applies for the operating systems. I hope apple ditches the "pro" name because it has no meaning.

An app I am really missing for professional work is the Phone app so I can ditch the iPhone.

I agree somewhat with what you're saying, but there's a reason why professional use a particular piece of hardware: probably because it produces professional results and it's top quality. It's less likely that crappy gear is going to produce professional results. It's not to say inexpensive things can't do professional jobs, but logically, it's less likely.

I'm on board with the statement that Apple loosely and somewhat inappropriately uses the "pro" moniker for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.