Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
The iPad has never really been a replacement for a laptop.

I have these conversations with enough people every so often when they can’t decide what they want. Thats why I try to understand what they do presently with their devices and what they want or expect to do with their new one.

A laptop was once the mobile alternative to a desktop. A lot of people appreciated being able to move the device around and take it with them, and that was even when laptops were bulky and heavy things. But smartphones and tablets changed all that. Even as laptops evolved to be as capable as desktops (for mainstream use) tablets offered even more mobility and convenience to do many things done on laptops. In many cases a tablet can replace a laptop, but it’s dependent on intended use. For a lot of average consumers a tablet, with or without a keyboard, will suit their computer needs. But a tablet cannot replace a laptop (or desktop) in all cases—there remain instances that only a laptop or desktop will fulfill.

If you’re frustrated because an iPad Pro doesn’t do what you want it to do—what it wasn’t designed to do—than you didn’t do your homework before purchasing. And/or you listened to someone who gave you poor advice and didn’t know what they were talking about.

OddMacFan

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
If you’re frustrated because an iPad Pro doesn’t do what you want it to do—what it wasn’t designed to do—than you didn’t do your homework before purchasing. And/or you listened to someone who gave you poor advice and didn’t know what they were talking about.

In fairness, this is easy to say once you’re intimately familiar with the capabilities of the devices. If you’ve never or rarely used an iPad, a trip to the Apple store, some YouTube videos, or a friend’s opinion may not necessarily be bad advice, but it might not be the best advice for you. I think that it’s one of those times where the tool and the task have to align pretty well to ensure satisfaction.

I prefer the way the iPad handles some things versus a laptop—indeed, it can do some things that most laptops can’t do. The biggest problem with the iPad is that it isn’t nearly as versatile as a laptop, so it quickly becomes frustrating for those tasks which it doesn’t do well. Honestly, the way Surface implements the tablet concept is probably superior to the way Apple does it on the iPad.

I have an iPad Pro (and Pencil) and it’s a great device, but I haven’t used it much in at least 2 years. I have an iPhone, and I lug my MBP 16 almost everywhere because my workflows are more efficient with the laptop and I worry a lot less about what it can’t do well.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
It’s perfectly ok to expect more. iPad hardware and software is in a weird place right now. Hardware is GREAT. Software is not (OS and Apps). There is soooo much more that an iPad could do that are WELL within reason. Apple is milking their cash cow.

And, God forbid ANYONE mention having the option to simply install software on it from anywhere (like we do on computers every single day). The idea of going to a website and buying, downloading, and installing software (straight from the developer no less!) is EVIL!

Somehow, we liken that to a Chevy being forced to run Dodge software, or an X Box being forced to play PlayStation games.

An iPad is a computer that is capable of running a wide range of software, and that expectation is well within reason, and people lose their minds over it.

“That already exists. You can buy an android phone” they say.

“You’re welcome to not buy the product” they say.

Yes, you can. And you dan also expect more from apple and voice that.

Give credit where it’s due, and give criticism where it is due as well.

iPad software is lacking. Period.

Because of this, I’ve had almost every iPhone, and tons of macs and accessories, but only 1 iPad from 2013 (Air) and have no compelling reason to buy one now.
There are some great apps for the iPad. Really - my iPad only contains great apps, which I use every day - often over the equivalent on my Mac. So - your opinion doesn't work for everyone, even though your post suggests its the only valid opinion.

Also - regarding the walled garden aspect of your post.. plenty of people dont want Apples approach to be changed, and they expect that from Apple and voice that. They merely say that if you want the walled garden approach, then Apple is the only option, where as if you want the more open approach then every single other OS offers it. I don't think they're personally getting at you or telling you to do anything. They're merely saying , leave my ecosystem alone.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Yes, for some people. Indeed it has replaced a laptop for a great many people. And in some cases it’s a better option for those people. But there are still limitations.
Yep, there are limitations. But there are also limitations the other way round. There is a lot that the iPad excels over a traditional
computer.

Reactions: Zensō

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
iPads are great as consumption devices. Loads of people just browse the net, Facebook, Youtube, email, online shopping, reading newspapers and magazines online, store photos, and play games. Given you can load Microsoft Office onto an iPad in many cases it can work like a laptop. People even use them as cash registers.

But it’s not the thing if you’re into a lot of video editing or 3D modelling. I don’t know if you can load good accounting software onto an iPad.

Reactions: iPadified

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
iPads are great as consumption devices. Loads of people just browse the net, Facebook, Youtube, email, online shopping, reading newspapers and magazines online, store photos, and play games. Given you can load Microsoft Office onto an iPad in many cases it can work like a laptop. People even use them as cash registers.

But it’s not the thing if you’re into a lot of video editing or 3D modelling. I don’t know if you can load good accounting software onto an iPad.
I do all my professional, albeit modest, video editing on an iPad...

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

I edit 4K videos using LumaFusion on my 2021 12.9. Works extremely well.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Max Tech video : is there hope ?

I think he is making a mountain out of a molehill, based on 0 evidence - BUT, an M1 Mac Mini contained in a slim portable keyboard able to be connected to an iPad independently of another monitor via sidecar and Universal Control (and/or USB) would just make my day.

Reactions: Digitalguy

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I edit 4K videos using LumaFusion on my 2021 12.9. Works extremely well.
Same, made a couple of 1h projects. It takes a long time to export though, but I'm not used to any other editing software apart from iMovie yet so I can't compare.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I think he is making a mountain out of a molehill, based on 0 evidence - BUT, an M1 Mac Mini contained in a slim portable keyboard able to be connected to an iPad independently of another monitor via sidecar and Universal Control (and/or USB) would just make my day.
One can only dream. I'd love to try FCP on iPad, at the very least.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Same, made a couple of 1h projects. It takes a long time to export though, but I'm not used to any other editing software apart from iMovie yet so I can't compare.
Get luma fusion. It’s a great little bit of software - infinitely better than iMovie. You’ll love it.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
It's not apple making these promises, it's the fans and shareholders hyping it up, tricking others to buy
You think random people are tricking others to buy Apple products ? ? what a strange concept. Are people even able to be tricked in this manner? Pretty weak minded people I would guess.

Reactions: ericwn

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Get luma fusion. It’s a great little bit of software - infinitely better than iMovie. You’ll love it.
I meant I made those projects in Luma (which I feel fully in control now- part of reason why I want more), but apart from iMovie, I haven't used any mobile or desktop editing SW. Sorry for confusion.

Reactions: cupcakes2000
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.