Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
After my work computer, my iPad Pro is the device I use most (if you don’t count my phone). I’ve had iPad since they were launched but the Pro combined with the latest OS made it functional enough to replace my MacBook. It’s not a laptop and it won’t do everything a laptop does, but it’s getting there, and for most of my use it’s close enough.

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2014
While I do agree with a lot of what you’re saying, and also wish for these additions to come to fruition, you should never buy something for what it could be. Rather, you should buy something for what it offers at the time of purchase and ask yourself if you’re satisfied with that.

Truth is Apple legally doesn’t have to add or offer anything more other than what capabilities they advertise when they sell you the iPad.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I use my iPad for raw editing mainly. I also use it for note taking and design. I use it for video work. This is all in my professional capacity as a photographer.

I need a desktop mac as well - because well - obviously. I have raid arrays other hardware that requires it. It will always require it. Not to mention software which I need that doesn’t run on an iPad because it wouldn’t be a good fit for an iPad.

But the iPad is a feasible choice for many professional or heavy work loads - and it excels over a mac for plenty of things.

The point that most people on threads like this miss, is that the iPad doesn’t even come with a file manager pre installed. You need to actually download the Files app, for example. The reason for this is that it’s not necessary for most peoples usage of a computer these days. It’s not even really strictly necessary for pro usage. Each app can and does manage its own files, and can be shared between by using the share sheet. It’s by design. It’s not a limitation rather an advantage to the vast majority of normal peoples general computer usage.

You all go on about terminal or coding or other very niche cases, which even if the iPad offered - would be wildly unsuitable for. I don’t know a single programmer that would choose a touch first based input method for this type of work. Why would you?

That fact of the matter is it was always designed to simplify computing. That’s why kids and grandma can use one without help. For that it excels. It’s very much a ‘real’ computer for absolutely what most people define everyday computing as.

For professionals in certain field it excels over and above a traditional system. For others it’s a fun modular part of a wider system.

It’s an amazing device, but wedging it in where it doesn’t belong is folly, and not worthy of criticism for.

Apples marketing is true - it does beg the question ‘what is a computer’, though this point has been taken way out of context by tech people. My 2.5 year old son can operate one. His 85 year old grandma can. Try sticking either in front of a mac.

Last edited:

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
I use my iPad for raw editing mainly. I also use it for note taking and design. I use it for video work. This is all in my professional capacity as a photographer.

I need a desktop mac as well - because well - obviously. I have raid arrays other hardware that requires it. It will always require it. Not to mention software which I need that doesn’t run on an iPad because it wouldn’t be a good fit for an iPad.

But the iPad is a feasible choice for many professional or heavy work loads - and it excels over a mac for plenty of things.

The point that most people on threads like this miss, is that the iPad doesn’t even come with a file manager pre installed. You need to actually download the Files app, for example. The reason for this is that it’s not necessary for most peoples usage of a computer these days. It’s not even really strictly necessary for pro usage. Each app can and does manage its own files, and can be shared between by using the share sheet. It’s by design. It’s not a limitation rather an advantage to the vast majority of normal peoples general computer usage.

You all go on about terminal or coding or other very niche cases, which even if the iPad offered - would be wildly unsuitable for. I don’t know a single programmer that would choose a touch first based input method for this type of work. Why would you?

That fact of the matter is it was always designed to simplify computing. That’s why kids and grandma can use one without help. For that it excels. It’s very much a ‘real’ computer for absolutely what most people define everyday computing as.

For professionals in certain field it excels over and above a traditional system. For others it’s a fun modular part of a wider system.

It’s an amazing device, but wedging it in where it doesn’t belong is folly, and not worthy of criticism for.

Apples marketing is true - it does beg the question ‘what is a computer’, though this point has been taken way out of context by tech people. My 2.5 year old son can operate one. His 85 year old grandma can. Try sticking either in front of a mac.
Also, there's the issue of ergonomics. There's a very good reason why I will spend hours on a Mac researching, typing, and socializing online but I don't on my iPad. I want my back and neck to be comfy after all.

Reactions: planteater

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Why did you ever expect a tablet to be a full blown computer replacement? I for one don't, it's a handy tool that serves as an extension of a laptop/desktop.
This gets to the key of it- Apple suggested it! While I don't agree with the OP's suggestion, I understand their frustration. Apple caused a lot of nerd tears (mine included) because what they meant to say was:

• For CONSUMERS, an iPad could replace your computer
  • For PROs, iPads could augment your Mac experience, and provide certain touch/pencil niche tools

Apple (accidentally?) implied a mix of the both that an iPad could (would someday?) replace a PRO's computer, but never actually intended that.
Rene Ritchie did an excellent video recently summarizing Apple's struggle to meet the needs of the consumer who loves the simplicity of the iPad and those who want a lot more.

Reactions: MajorFubar

rgwebb

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
I have a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro. Apple has always limited the usability of the iPad’s software, not adding features that should’ve been added long ago. There’s no more excuses. It’s 2022 and we still don’t have: proper external monitor support, proper multitasking with more windows, full pro apps (not the half assed apps we always get on the App Store and first party apps like iMovie, real apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Lightroom Classic, real Photoshop, Pixelmator Pro, Xcode, Compressor, you get the idea), a weather app, a calculator app, optimized battery charging, external camera support, proper file management (like being able to format, fix or otherwise edit external drives, transferring files at the full capable speed USB-C and Thunderbolt on newer iPads should deliver, etc) and a whole bunch of other stuff the iPad needs. I’m not asking to put macOS on the iPad, just fix the software. I got my hopes up for iPadOS 15, but that turned out to be not only a massive disappointment, I consider it to be the worst update ever. Apple has clearly said no to merging the Mac and iPad operating systems, and has always advocated for keeping the iPad and Mac separate according to how they wish it to be, and considering that and all those awful lackluster iPadOS updates, I don’t think they will ever release the iPad from its software prison. The iPad is just as expensive as a decent laptop and it’s far more powerful than most laptops in its price range. Just give us the software it deserves. I have a feeling iPadOS 16 will be even worse than 15. In that case, someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against Apple and the iPad (especially the iPad Pro) should be boycotted until Apple overhauls the software (if they ever do, which they probably never will)
Features you want, think Apple can execute, but never advertised as features of the product is not going to lead to a successful suit.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
While I would love to see a better iPadOS, hey, its 2022 and we knew what we were getting before buying it.

Reactions: sorgo †

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
I get where the OP is coming from. I love my iPad Pro, as it’s my favourite device - I love being able to use the pencil, touch, and the face recognition, but is it really pro? The hardware is, but it doesn’t run (m)any pro apps due to the OS. Apple set it up so that developers can write an iPad app and it will run on MacOS, but I don’t think many developers are jumping on board.

Apple says that the iPad and Mac are two different experiences and thus need two separate OSs. I used to agree with this. However, Microsoft of all people have proved that you can have a (surface) tablet that also operates as a full fledged computer running regular pro apps you can install on a desktop. Like most, I don’t like the Window’s ecosystem, nor Windows OS, but they’ve proven it can be done. As a result, I would love to see a convergence of iPadOS/ MacOS. Would Apple do it? I’m reluctant to say ”yes” as they want you to buy both a Mac and iPad in addition to their phone, so they’re likely going to pigeon-hole each device in it’s own space.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
If I could have Apple make any device for me, and resources wasn’t an object, I would love to have a foldable phone that folded into a tablet, that hooked up to a KVM and acted like a laptop/ desktop that ran full MacOS programs. One device, to rule them all.

Let me dream, OK? ;)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Apple says that the iPad and Mac are two different experiences and thus need two separate OSs. I used to agree with this. However, Microsoft of all people have proved that you can have a (surface) tablet that also operates as a full fledged computer running regular pro apps you can install on a desktop. Like most, I don’t like the Window’s ecosystem, nor Windows OS, but they’ve proven it can be done.

I prefer Windows but the Surface, not so much. I feel like the Surface/Windows is more of a laptop first, tablet second. Not sure if that's changed with Windows 11.

Microsoft may have done the convergence thing but there's a reason I still spend $$$$ on iPad Pros. I may opt for Windows over MacOS on my desktops and laptops, but I greatly prefer iPadOS over Windows on my tablets.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I get where the OP is coming from. I love my iPad Pro, as it’s my favourite device - I love being able to use the pencil, touch, and the face recognition, but is it really pro? The hardware is, but it doesn’t run (m)any pro apps due to the OS. Apple set it up so that developers can write an iPad app and it will run on MacOS, but I don’t think many developers are jumping on board.

Apple says that the iPad and Mac are two different experiences and thus need two separate OSs. I used to agree with this. However, Microsoft of all people have proved that you can have a (surface) tablet that also operates as a full fledged computer running regular pro apps you can install on a desktop. Like most, I don’t like the Window’s ecosystem, nor Windows OS, but they’ve proven it can be done. As a result, I would love to see a convergence of iPadOS/ MacOS. Would Apple do it? I’m reluctant to say ”yes” as they want you to buy both a Mac and iPad in addition to their phone, so they’re likely going to pigeon-hole each device in it’s own space.
You can blame the OS as much as you like. But the very simple fact that a good deal of very ‘pro’ and advanced desktop class apps DO exist on the iPad and in most cases are either; on par with their desktop equivalent, better their desktop equivalent or don’t even have a desktop equivalent, shows that the proclaimed hurdles due to the OS are surmountable and it’s more an issue from the developers side of things.

I’m not saying I don’t have a wish list of what I want iPadOS to become - but it is not the big barrier people make out, as evidenced by the apps that exist already.

• Love
Reactions: IamTimCook

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
There is no such thing as "pro" hardware - only professional usage of hardware. As professional use differs, so will the requirement for hardware. The same applies for the operating systems. I hope apple ditches the "pro" name because it has no meaning.

An app I am really missing for professional work is the Phone app so I can ditch the iPhone.

Reactions: ericwn

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Just get a macbook instead , my ipad is the last one i'm buying for a loooong time

Great hardware , garbage software ; the os reminds me of a fisher price toy but less fun to use

Every-time I use the so called pro I think why on earth did I buy this pos ?

I'm starting to hate iOS/iPadOS with a vengeance

Reactions: Sampire51

Bodhitree

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
If I look at my screen time statistics over the last six months and aggregate them, my ipad gets twice as much usage as my iphone or my imac. Honestly that makes it my most valuable device. But its also one of my least flexible devices: I forum on it, I write emails on it, I read books on it, I watch videos on it.

It’s just about the ease of use.

Reactions: rui no onna

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
“proper external monitor support, proper multitasking with more windows, full pro apps (not the half assed apps we always get on the App Store and first party apps like iMovie, real apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Lightroom Classic, real Photoshop, Pixelmator Pro, Xcode, Compressor, you get the idea), a weather app, a calculator app, optimized battery charging, external camera support, proper file management (like being able to format, fix or otherwise edit external drives, transferring files at the full capable speed USB-C and Thunderbolt on newer iPads should deliver, etc)“

If you wanna do these professional things, why don’t you get a Mac instead? No need for a lawsuit.

Mymychickenpie

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2021
Cause my MacBook Pro is from 2012 and I don’t have the money and resources to buy a whole new MacBook Pro yet, so I’m using my iPad Pro as a stopgap for now, and also as a natural note taking and drawing device with some photo editing and web browsing mixed in
You’re saying though that the cost of an iPad Pro is $3k - $4k? If you have spent that on an iPad Pro setup, you’ve already spent the cost of a decent MacBook Pro with an M1 Max chip?

The logic doesn’t make sense?

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
A rewrite, with the little girl playing the part of Apple:

“The iPad’s not a computer.”

:)

D564AE16-737D-455B-AD81-EC3C2899B83E.jpeg

hcherry

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
Well nobody expects a gaming console to run Microsoft Office. An iPad is advertised as the “future of computing” and a “laptop replacement.” It doesn’t sound logical to buy a $2000-$4000 iPad only for it to be rendered useless by software that sucks and can easily run on all those $500 iPads that most children own
You talk as though Apple personally promised you something and then reneged on the deal.

Was there some aspect of hardware or iPadOS design that tricked you into buying it?

I don’t think I’ll ever understand where folks get this sense of entitlement — the idea that you should get to control how a company designs it’s products simply b/c you want it and believe it’s technically feasible to make it.

These are business decisions. Companies should be free to design and manufacture products they believe will create value for customers and enable them to earn a profit while consumers should be free to purchase (or not) the products they find best meet their needs.

Reactions: subjonas

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

Pro is marketing for “slightly better specs”. My iPad is as Pro as my iPhone or MBP and I’m pretty much all scenarios I could easily survive with the entry level model of each category.

Reactions: subjonas

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
It’s perfectly ok to expect more. iPad hardware and software is in a weird place right now. Hardware is GREAT. Software is not (OS and Apps). There is soooo much more that an iPad could do that are WELL within reason. Apple is milking their cash cow.

And, God forbid ANYONE mention having the option to simply install software on it from anywhere (like we do on computers every single day). The idea of going to a website and buying, downloading, and installing software (straight from the developer no less!) is EVIL!

Somehow, we liken that to a Chevy being forced to run Dodge software, or an X Box being forced to play PlayStation games.

An iPad is a computer that is capable of running a wide range of software, and that expectation is well within reason, and people lose their minds over it.

“That already exists. You can buy an android phone” they say.

“You’re welcome to not buy the product” they say.

Yes, you can. And you dan also expect more from apple and voice that.

Give credit where it’s due, and give criticism where it is due as well.

iPad software is lacking. Period.

Because of this, I’ve had almost every iPhone, and tons of macs and accessories, but only 1 iPad from 2013 (Air) and have no compelling reason to buy one now.

Reactions: MajorFubar

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
It’s perfectly ok to expect more. iPad hardware and software is in a weird place right now. Hardware is GREAT. Software is not (OS and Apps). There is soooo much more that an iPad could do that are WELL within reason. Apple is milking their cash cow.

And, God forbid ANYONE mention having the option to simply install software on it from anywhere (like we do on computers every single day). The idea of going to a website and buying, downloading, and installing software (straight from the developer no less!) is EVIL!

Somehow, we liken that to a Chevy being forced to run Dodge software, or an X Box being forced to play PlayStation games.

An iPad is a computer that is capable of running a wide range of software, and that expectation is well within reason, and people lose their minds over it.

“That already exists. You can buy an android phone” they say.

“You’re welcome to not buy the product” they say.

Yes, you can. And you dan also expect more from apple and voice that.

Give credit where it’s due, and give criticism where it is due as well.

iPad software is lacking. Period.

Because of this, I’ve had almost every iPhone, and tons of macs and accessories, but only 1 iPad from 2013 (Air) and have no compelling reason to buy one now.

It’s fine to have expectations, hopes and wishes. Wether these are a good basis for a class action however, is a very different matter.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I've never bought an iPad because of most of the reasons that the OP lists above.

As the OP states, it's just not a finished product and seems to be deliberately being held back (although it's great for those that want to use it as a luxury content/web browsing device and light productivity tool).

In the mid teens, I think that this was because Tim Cook was cool on it and prioritised the iPhone over all.

Nowadays, I think that they don't want to 'Osborne' the reinvigorated Mac.

But hope springs eternal - let's hope that this year is when we see the iPadOS let the iPad finally become a proper touch first computer (with the already great secondary input implementation of keyboard and trackpad/mouse).

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
It’s fine to have expectations, hopes and wishes. Wether these are a good basis for a class action however, is a very different matter.
Lol I forgot about the class action part of this topic in my comment. I agree, there is no basis for a lawsuit of any kind. You can either buy the product or not in its current form. You can’t sue because a design doesn’t meet your personal expectation for sure.

Reactions: ericwn

OddMacFan

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
I’m not sure where the idea originated that we should use the courts or government to get what we want (especially out of companies), but it’s not a healthy idea. There are many competitors to the iPad in particular, and if Apple isn’t giving you want you think they should (or maybe even what they promised), you can vote with your wallet and buy an Android tablet, Chromebook, or Surface.

The reality of tech is that it is and will always be imperfect. I tried for years to live 100% in the Apple ecosystem, and for the most part I still am, but I had to buy a MacBook Pro because the iPad Pro just wasn’t cutting it as a laptop replacement. I loved the old AppleWorks suite when I was a student, but in the working world (after a stint with NeoOffice and LibreOffice) I ended up on Microsoft Office for compatibility (close is not close enough on compatibility when exchanging files with Office users.) I tried iCloud Keychain but eventually outgrew the clumsy management interface and moved to a third-party password manager. The reality is that no company can do everything well, which is why competition is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.