Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
As for all the haters saying I should never have bought the iPad Pro, I bought it to future proof myself and to use as a great drawing and note taking tablet as well as photo editing, and for the 120Hz display, but I’m not going to upgrade until Apple improves iPadOS significantly. That’s why I didn’t get the M1 iPad
It's not hate, it just that all your arguments are easily settled by doing your research before purchasing an iPad or even testing one at an Apple Store.

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
As for all the haters saying I should never have bought the iPad Pro, I bought it to future proof myself and to use as a great drawing and note taking tablet as well as photo editing, and for the 120Hz display, but I’m not going to upgrade until Apple improves iPadOS significantly. That’s why I didn’t get the M1 iPad
Honestly, it's really nobodies place to tell you to not buy something you're interested in, unless it's something that is actively harmful to you. But of course, there's no shame in admitting that you personally are going to need more than just an iPad. I love iPads and they are easily my favorite computer by a long shot, it's not even close. But I still need a Windows/Mac computer as well.

The M1 iPads are cool, they don't have to do everything well, and what they do well over the Mac, is really, really done well.

Obioban

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
Exactly. If Apple doesn’t want it to be a laptop replacement, they should stop sending confusing messages about it’s role
It is a laptop replacement for many. My Dad (70 years old) moved from a 15" MacBook Pro that he could barely function on, to an iPad air that he's remarkably competent on. Making it worse for that use case, to compensate for your lack of research, would be a downgrade-- it would just be redundant to a Mac at that point.

And jumping to wanting to sue makes everyone hate you, FYI. One of the fundamental problems with this country.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
It is a laptop replacement for many. My Dad (70 years old) moved from a 15" MacBook Pro that he could barely function on, to an iPad air that he's remarkably competent on. Making it worse for that use case, to compensate for your lack of research, would be a downgrade-- it would just be redundant to a Mac at that point.

And jumping to wanting to sue makes everyone hate you, FYI. One of the fundamental problems with this country.

Really worked for my Mom, too - she's was 91 when she started using an iPad. Worked wonders for her until her death at 95.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
So now you’re saying you got what you wanted when you paid for it. And now your expectations have changed? You were satisfied but not anymore? Or you’re still satisfied with what you have but you’re unsatisfied with new products? Hard to follow.

I hate to sound like another one of those high profile iPad Pro reviewers whining about iPadOS, but if the iPad was never about being a laptop replacement, Apple should never have given us confusing advertising, like the whole “what’s a computer” controversy, making ads comparing iPad Pros to traditional computers, and raising the prices well into MacBook Pro territory and a whole other bunch of things that got our hopes up. Btw, I’m not selling my iPad, I’m keeping it until Apple updates the software enough to justify an upgrade, which, judging by Apple’s recent actions, is likely a very long time away, if ever
The only ”controversy” is from people who project their own personal wants on the iPad. I mean, interpreting more expensive = laptop replacement?? So an expensive car needs to replace a truck? Talk about hearing what you want to hear and seeing what you want to see. We all here know what the iPad is, but I guess not all here are able to separate that from what they want the iPad to be. For those who can, the commercials have always been perfectly clear. For those who can’t, any shifting of the sand is interpreted as the message they want to hear.
Everyone knows the iPad is held back by iPad OS, even though it is very powerful. So many people here bought the M1 iPad hoping Apple would open it up and use that power. They were wrong. Now they have a glorified iPhone with a lot of power......to edit a photo...lol

People don't like being told their purchase was wrong or that they're being played. They'll get defensive and will defend apple and their purchase until the cows come home. Human nature.
Or…. people generally know what a product is before they buy it, and only buy it if it meets their needs?
These people who buy something without knowing what it is, or expecting it to eventually become something different—those are the irrational ones.

Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I have a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro. Apple has always limited the usability of the iPad’s software, not adding features that should’ve been added long ago. There’s no more excuses. It’s 2022 and we still don’t have: proper external monitor support, proper multitasking with more windows, full pro apps (not the half assed apps we always get on the App Store and first party apps like iMovie, real apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Lightroom Classic, real Photoshop, Pixelmator Pro, Xcode, Compressor, you get the idea), a weather app, a calculator app, optimized battery charging, external camera support, proper file management (like being able to format, fix or otherwise edit external drives, transferring files at the full capable speed USB-C and Thunderbolt on newer iPads should deliver, etc) and a whole bunch of other stuff the iPad needs. I’m not asking to put macOS on the iPad, just fix the software. I got my hopes up for iPadOS 15, but that turned out to be not only a massive disappointment, I consider it to be the worst update ever. Apple has clearly said no to merging the Mac and iPad operating systems, and has always advocated for keeping the iPad and Mac separate according to how they wish it to be, and considering that and all those awful lackluster iPadOS updates, I don’t think they will ever release the iPad from its software prison. The iPad is just as expensive as a decent laptop and it’s far more powerful than most laptops in its price range. Just give us the software it deserves. I have a feeling iPadOS 16 will be even worse than 15. In that case, someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against Apple and the iPad (especially the iPad Pro) should be boycotted until Apple overhauls the software (if they ever do, which they probably never will)
Apple doesn't want to cannibalize their mac sales by adding those features to ios. Are tablet apps not enough?

Last edited:
Reactions: sorgo †

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Yah nothing ever went wrong with a Samsung, galaxy or Dell. LOL. My Samsung pet peeve, I can’t update drivers on a monitor cause it’s windows only, pathetic samsung
Gee glad you missed the point but brought such attention to those products. "LOL"

Sampire51

Suspended
Apr 27, 2022
Or…. people generally know what a product is before they buy it, and only buy it if it meets their needs?
These people who buy something without knowing what it is, or expecting it to eventually become something different—those are the irrational ones.

I agree. I always do a lot of research before I buy something. I bought an iPad to be a couch surfer, and that is exactly what I use it for, and I love it :)

Reactions: subjonas

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I do find that interesting too and it’s pretty different than what I said.

Why deliberately try to miss the point? A lot of people are confused by what Apple is doing with iPad OS.

They tease about it being a computer and now people are simply asking why it falls short of that even when it’s got powerful hardware.
But failing as a computer is very subjective and doesn’t apply to everyone. It is a computer and fulfills 99% of what I need a computer to do. Therefore, it’s a computer/laptop replacement for me. Do I wish iPadOS could do more and be more flexible, sure, but it’s a pretty powerful OS for millions of people.

DougiePhresh

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
I have a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro. Apple has always limited the usability of the iPad’s software, not adding features that should’ve been added long ago. There’s no more excuses. It’s 2022 and we still don’t have: proper external monitor support, proper multitasking with more windows, full pro apps (not the half assed apps we always get on the App Store and first party apps like iMovie, real apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Lightroom Classic, real Photoshop, Pixelmator Pro, Xcode, Compressor, you get the idea), a weather app, a calculator app, optimized battery charging, external camera support, proper file management (like being able to format, fix or otherwise edit external drives, transferring files at the full capable speed USB-C and Thunderbolt on newer iPads should deliver, etc) and a whole bunch of other stuff the iPad needs. I’m not asking to put macOS on the iPad, just fix the software. I got my hopes up for iPadOS 15, but that turned out to be not only a massive disappointment, I consider it to be the worst update ever. Apple has clearly said no to merging the Mac and iPad operating systems, and has always advocated for keeping the iPad and Mac separate according to how they wish it to be, and considering that and all those awful lackluster iPadOS updates, I don’t think they will ever release the iPad from its software prison. The iPad is just as expensive as a decent laptop and it’s far more powerful than most laptops in its price range. Just give us the software it deserves. I have a feeling iPadOS 16 will be even worse than 15. In that case, someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against Apple and the iPad (especially the iPad Pro) should be boycotted until Apple overhauls the software (if they ever do, which they probably never will)
Yea man, good luck wining that lawsuit when all you have are some hurt feelings and a few ads that said vague stuff like “future of computing” and a “laptop replacement.” ? Apple has a very generous return policy, I bought an iPad and their keyboard-folio thing a couple of years ago and after using them for just a few hours I realized it was not a laptop replacement and returned it the next day. Own your decisions, it's no one's job to hold your hand in this world.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I won’t say multitasking on iPad is fine, but god save me from multitasking on an Android tablet or surface. Moving windows by dragging small bars with fingers, viewports without any consistency, terrible transition between portrait/landscape, overlapping between windows AND keyboard… that’s why there’s no real tablet out there besides the iPad, they don’t know how to design a tablet from scratch.
Multitasking on Samsung OneUI is actually much better than on iPadOS, easy and powerful at the same time, and I wish the iPad could do many of the things Samsung tablets can do... (and I am not talking about DEX, just the standard UI). That of course does not mean that this is true for other Android tablets. I agree with Windows of course, it's a pain to multitask with touch, but of course once you use a mouse / trackpad it becomes much more powerful than any mobile OS.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

Why deliberately try to miss the point? A lot of people are confused by what Apple is doing with iPad OS.

They tease about it being a computer and now people are simply asking why it falls short of that even when it’s got powerful hardware.

To me that’s nonsense. There is no confusion just some fancy ads about a computer not being a computer. The rest is business as usual on iPad land. The hardware became more powerful, while the os hardly made significant changes. Keyboard support was there for ages. Now you can also use a mouse, big deal. And they dare sell a non case that includes both that is an optional accessory just like the pencil.

And as has been stated a thousand times before: these apple devices are all computers. Wether these tools fit for what you want to accomplish, that’s a different question altogether.

Last edited:

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I always used Windows laptops until I got an iPad… Well, my first base iPad didn’t get much use and I ultimately sold it, but when I bought my first 2018 iPad Pro, I fell in love. EVERYTHING was better than a Windows laptop to me except I relied completely on those laptops to do my graphic arts/photo editing, and had no idea how to do advanced photo manipulation on the iPad. I bounced around from iPad to Windows laptop for years, but I always came back to the iPad Pro because it was what I LOVED. It was ultimately the highest quality computing device I had ever used, and in early 2021 I started to learn how to do my graphics on an iPad Air 4. Once I got the 2021 12.9” iPad Pro I forced myself to learn how to use Affinity Photo and now I have zero use for a laptop anymore. I am 110% on board with the iPad Pro for ALL of my computing needs. There is nothing that it can’t do that I need it to do.

If you need more advanced apps than what iPadOS offers then I would suggest going with a MacBook Pro or even an Air. MacOS suits certain people’s computing needs more than others. That’s what why people doing coding for example would want a MacBook Pro, but an artist would gravitate to an iPad Pro. Both products have their place in the Apple spectrum, and it’s stupid to proclaim that Apple should be sued over not offering more “Pro” apps to iPadOS. They never promised that nor advertised it. I, for one, am really happy with my iPad Pro and wouldn’t ever want a MacBook Pro, but it is the sweet spot for some people out there. Possibly even you, OP.

But there are plenty of people happy with iPads and iPadOS just like I am, and I while I think the lawsuit is a stupid idea, I wouldn’t be against seeing more “Pro” apps trickle down to iPadOS because that would make everyone happy. But right now I am in no real need for anything other than what I have as it is. The iPad Pro meets my computing needs.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
So the iPad Pro works as you had intended for the purpose (drawing and note taking).
So what's with the class action again? :D You have to practice stating more specifics details if you want to claim a lawsuit, not just generic ranting.

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014

It IS a computer. It is NOT (nor was it every intended to be) exactly like a Macbook but with a touchscreen.

If you need a Mac... BUY A DAMN MAC. But simply because an iPad isn't a Mac doesn't make it not a computer, it makes it a different take on what a computer can be. For some people, that's very much better. For others, it's worse. For still others, it's just different.

Some of you need to learn that you are not everyone. Your just you. Buy what fits you but don't pretend that you represent other people.

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016
It IS a computer. It is NOT (nor was it every intended to be) exactly like a Macbook but with a touchscreen.

If you need a Mac... BUY A DAMN MAC. But simply because an iPad isn't a Mac doesn't make it not a computer, it makes it a different take on what a computer can be. For some people, that's very much better. For others, it's worse. For still others, it's just different.

Some of you need to learn that you are not everyone. Your just you. Buy what fits you but don't pretend that you represent other people.

I never said anything about a Mac with a touch screen, so I’m going to assume your comment is not for me.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220504-002148_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220504-002148_Chrome.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 71
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.