Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
I understand folks' frustrations with iPadOS, even though I personally don't really experience them, but there has to be a limit to this. We are really going to talk about taking legal action over a tool that isn't actually harming anyone?

cheesygrin

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2008
MacOS and iPadOS are separate operating systems for a reason. They do a different job. They are optimised for different types of devices.

I wish iPadOS was more useful as well, but Apple hasn’t hidden what it is. You know what the iPad will and won’t do before you go and buy one, so I don’t see where a lawsuit fits in.

Reactions: CrzySxyCl

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
OP - will you be initiating this suit? The idea of a class action lawsuit for one thing or another pops up off and on in the forum but nobody is willing to carry the water on it - "somebody should file a class action lawsuit on etc." but it's always somebody else.

Reactions: GuruZac

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
I feel like the iPad should have more flexible software. Other tablets, which all of them are no where near as powerful as an iPad Pro, even the 2018 iPad Pro is far more powerful than the fastest Android tablet, have better multitasking and more robust software
I won’t say multitasking on iPad is fine, but god save me from multitasking on an Android tablet or surface. Moving windows by dragging small bars with fingers, viewports without any consistency, terrible transition between portrait/landscape, overlapping between windows AND keyboard… that’s why there’s no real tablet out there besides the iPad, they don’t know how to design a tablet from scratch.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Well nobody expects a gaming console to run Microsoft Office. An iPad is advertised as the “future of computing” and a “laptop replacement.” It doesn’t sound logical to buy a $2000-$4000 iPad only for it to be rendered useless by software that sucks and can easily run on all those $500 iPads that most children own
You can run office 365 on Xbox series

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019
I have a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro. Apple has always limited the usability of the iPad’s software, not adding features that should’ve been added long ago. There’s no more excuses. It’s 2022 and we still don’t have: proper external monitor support, proper multitasking with more windows, full pro apps (not the half assed apps we always get on the App Store and first party apps like iMovie, real apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Lightroom Classic, real Photoshop, Pixelmator Pro, Xcode, Compressor, you get the idea), a weather app, a calculator app, optimized battery charging, external camera support, proper file management (like being able to format, fix or otherwise edit external drives, transferring files at the full capable speed USB-C and Thunderbolt on newer iPads should deliver, etc) and a whole bunch of other stuff the iPad needs. I’m not asking to put macOS on the iPad, just fix the software. I got my hopes up for iPadOS 15, but that turned out to be not only a massive disappointment, I consider it to be the worst update ever. Apple has clearly said no to merging the Mac and iPad operating systems, and has always advocated for keeping the iPad and Mac separate according to how they wish it to be, and considering that and all those awful lackluster iPadOS updates, I don’t think they will ever release the iPad from its software prison. The iPad is just as expensive as a decent laptop and it’s far more powerful than most laptops in its price range. Just give us the software it deserves. I have a feeling iPadOS 16 will be even worse than 15. In that case, someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against Apple and the iPad (especially the iPad Pro) should be boycotted until Apple overhauls the software (if they ever do, which they probably never will)
How about we file a Class Action Lawsuit against u for such nonsense?

Marswarrior462

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
Calgary, AB, Canada
As for all the haters saying I should never have bought the iPad Pro, I bought it to future proof myself and to use as a great drawing and note taking tablet as well as photo editing, and for the 120Hz display, but I’m not going to upgrade until Apple improves iPadOS significantly. That’s why I didn’t get the M1 iPad

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
As for all the haters saying I should never have bought the iPad Pro, I bought it to future proof myself and to use as a great drawing and note taking tablet as well as photo editing, and for the 120Hz display, but I’m not going to upgrade until Apple improves iPadOS significantly. That’s why I didn’t get the M1 iPad
Haters = realists ???

Reactions: sgtaylor5

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
"great drawing and note taking tablet as well as photo editing" - that won't play well in the discovery phase when your non-existent suit is examined by a judge deciding whether or not to even allow it to go forward.

Reactions: cupcakes2000

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
Well nobody expects a gaming console to run Microsoft Office. An iPad is advertised as the “future of computing” and a “laptop replacement.” It doesn’t sound logical to buy a $2000-$4000 iPad only for it to be rendered useless by software that sucks and can easily run on all those $500 iPads that most children own
Don’t buy one? This thread is a real head scratcher. ?

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019
I have a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro. Apple has always limited the usability of the iPad’s software, not adding features that should’ve been added long ago. There’s no more excuses. It’s 2022 and we still don’t have: proper external monitor support, proper multitasking with more windows, full pro apps (not the half assed apps we always get on the App Store and first party apps like iMovie, real apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Lightroom Classic, real Photoshop, Pixelmator Pro, Xcode, Compressor, you get the idea), a weather app, a calculator app, optimized battery charging, external camera support, proper file management (like being able to format, fix or otherwise edit external drives, transferring files at the full capable speed USB-C and Thunderbolt on newer iPads should deliver, etc) and a whole bunch of other stuff the iPad needs. I’m not asking to put macOS on the iPad, just fix the software. I got my hopes up for iPadOS 15, but that turned out to be not only a massive disappointment, I consider it to be the worst update ever. Apple has clearly said no to merging the Mac and iPad operating systems, and has always advocated for keeping the iPad and Mac separate according to how they wish it to be, and considering that and all those awful lackluster iPadOS updates, I don’t think they will ever release the iPad from its software prison. The iPad is just as expensive as a decent laptop and it’s far more powerful than most laptops in its price range. Just give us the software it deserves. I have a feeling iPadOS 16 will be even worse than 15. In that case, someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against Apple and the iPad (especially the iPad Pro) should be boycotted until Apple overhauls the software (if they ever do, which they probably never will)
If you want todo Computer work go and Get a Computer. a iPad is not for that work

Marswarrior462

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
Calgary, AB, Canada
I hate to sound like another one of those high profile iPad Pro reviewers whining about iPadOS, but if the iPad was never about being a laptop replacement, Apple should never have given us confusing advertising, like the whole “what’s a computer” controversy, making ads comparing iPad Pros to traditional computers, and raising the prices well into MacBook Pro territory and a whole other bunch of things that got our hopes up. Btw, I’m not selling my iPad, I’m keeping it until Apple updates the software enough to justify an upgrade, which, judging by Apple’s recent actions, is likely a very long time away, if ever

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I hate to sound like another one of those high profile iPad Pro reviewers whining about iPadOS, but if the iPad was never about being a laptop replacement, Apple should never have given us confusing advertising, like the whole “what’s a computer” controversy, making ads comparing iPad Pros to traditional computers, and raising the prices well into MacBook Pro territory and a whole other bunch of things that got our hopes up. Btw, I’m not selling my iPad, I’m keeping it until Apple updates the software enough to justify an upgrade, which, judging by Apple’s recent actions, is likely a very long time away, if ever
Companies making ads overhyping their products? That's a new one ...

Sampire51

Suspended
Apr 27, 2022

Everyone knows the iPad is held back by iPad OS, even though it is very powerful. So many people here bought the M1 iPad hoping Apple would open it up and use that power. They were wrong. Now they have a glorified iPhone with a lot of power......to edit a photo...lol

People don't like being told their purchase was wrong or that they're being played. They'll get defensive and will defend apple and their purchase until the cows come home. Human nature.

Reactions: MajorFubar

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I love my iPad Pro. I am actually surprised how much I can actually get done on it, though to be fair writing on an 11 inch screen is a bit small but not impossible. I use it for most everyday things like reading the newspaper, typing up docs and e-mails, banking etc. other than writing code it can pretty much do everything I ask of it.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Everyone knows the iPad is held back by iPad OS, even though it is very powerful. So many people here bought the M1 iPad hoping Apple would open it up and use that power. They were wrong. Now they have a glorified iPhone with a lot of power......to edit a photo...lol

People don't like being told their purchase was wrong or that they're being played. They'll get defensive and will defend apple and their purchase until the cows come home. Human nature.
"Edit a photo" - I use it for RAW image processing and 4K video editing. lol

Reactions: cupcakes2000

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016
Today I have a better tool than yesterday but somehow have forgotten what to do with it because of better specs? Interesting take

I do find that interesting too and it’s pretty different than what I said.

Why deliberately try to miss the point? A lot of people are confused by what Apple is doing with iPad OS.

They tease about it being a computer and now people are simply asking why it falls short of that even when it’s got powerful hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.