Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I agree the iPad Pro is held back by its OS. Which is why I haven't bought one, and just keep using Macs instead. If the day comes when iPadOS stops resembling an overgrown phone operating system, I'd be willing to take seriously the idea of it as a "laptop replacement." But that day defintely hasn't come.

Reactions: Flabasha

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Here’s my current RAM usage on the 2021 Pro 12.9 with just a handful of apps and Safari tabs open. I don’t think I’ve experienced any reloads so far today. That said, I wouldn’t have gotten 16GB RAM if I didn’t need 1TB storage.

View attachment 2004695

And here’s the RAM usage on my mini 6 which is pretty much reload city.

One of the webcomics apps I use on the mini appears to have a memory leak and will crash and forget my reading progress if I happen to read too many chapters in one sitting which kinda sucks.

View attachment 2004696
That’s an interesting snapshot. But I’d really like to see more of a controlled comparison between the iPP in 16gb and 8gb specs, with same exact usages over the same amount of time etc.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
If the day comes when iPadOS stops resembling an overgrown phone operating system
Is iPadOS an overgrown phone OS, or is iOS a compactified tablet OS? Or, if Apple made a macPhoneOS (same as macOS but compactified for a phone), would macOS be an overgrown phone OS, or would macPhoneOS be a compactified desktop OS? And just because something came out after the other doesn’t affect its functionality, only our perception of it.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Even if “just a big iPhone” is condescending, being an extension of iPhones is not a bad place to be for the iPad.

I have three improvements for it being a better “just a large iPhone”: Better RAM management or cheaper RAM. Better apps. Larger screen options also for the base iPad.

Reactions: Mackilroy

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That 1TB wifi iPad Pro is worth $2,699AUD, exactly what base 14" Macbook pro's have been selling for.

Technically, mine's 1TB 5G.

Not interested in another MacBook. My M1 MBA is just sitting around collecting dust. I'm just not a fan of the clamshell form factor and would only use laptops when there's no other choice.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That’s an interesting snapshot. But I’d really like to see more of a controlled comparison between the iPP in 16gb and 8gb specs, with same exact usages over the same amount of time etc.

The only comparisons you'll likely get is the rapid mode app opening/switching you'll find in YouTube reviews. I think MaxTech(?) has done one.

Trying to perform the same tasks for normal usage on multiple iPads simultaneously would be too annoying. Plus you'd need someone to have both M1+8GB and M1+16GB iPads with the exact same firmware version, settings and apps installed for a controlled environment.

With that said, I've gone back to Safari tabs opened over a month ago on the M1+16GB iPad and they haven't reloaded. I expect the 16GB offers a lot of cushion. I reckon the 8GB model would likely still give me a very good experience. Alas, 4GB has just gotten somewhat annoying at this point.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Technically, mine's 1TB 5G.

Not interested in another MacBook. My M1 MBA is just sitting around collecting dust. I'm just not a fan of the clamshell form factor and would only use laptops when there's no other choice.
Just comparing the price wasn’t suggesting to buy one, imo the iPad is Not worth the money considering it doesn’t do anything you can’t do on a iPhone, only bigger.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
This is directed at the original post. I'm not reading 12 pages of Mac vs. iPad arguments. The problem, in a nutshell seems to be that you like your iPad, but have come to the conclusion that the OS isn't optimal anymore for you. If I were in your shoes, there are a couple of things I would definitely NOT do:

1. Start a class action lawsuit. To what end? A check for $2.50 in 2032? Your lawsuit isn't going to budge Apple's software roadmap, and it also won't magically add features to iPadOS. (Side note: your claim that Apple advertises this product as a laptop replacement is patently false. Apple does no such thing, save for some comments in 2015 that I think Tim Cook probably wishes he could take back.)

2. Complain here. The only result is going to be some people giving you confirmation bias, some people telling you you're wrong, and the rest just arguing with each other about how the iPad isn't a real computer (it most certainly is) and how others should or shouldn't use it.

The answer here is simple. You're not using the device that's optimal for your present day use. You're just having trouble admitting it to yourself, so you're projecting your anxiety here. We can't solve this problem for/with you, and most don't sound like they want any part of a lawsuit either. You need to admit to yourself that you need a Mac or PC rather than a tablet. I'm not sure it gets much more complicated than that.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I agree the iPad Pro is held back by its OS. Which is why I haven't bought one, and just keep using Macs instead. If the day comes when iPadOS stops resembling an overgrown phone operating system, I'd be willing to take seriously the idea of it as a "laptop replacement." But that day defintely hasn't come.
Interesting opinion, yet you don't have an iPad. As you are judging and condemning something you don't actually use, I would suggest a somewhat invalid opinion.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The only comparisons you'll likely get is the rapid mode app opening/switching you'll find in YouTube reviews. I think MaxTech(?) has done one.

Trying to perform the same tasks for normal usage on multiple iPads simultaneously would be too annoying. Plus you'd need someone to have both M1+8GB and M1+16GB iPads with the exact same firmware version, settings and apps installed for a controlled environment.

With that said, I've gone back to Safari tabs opened over a month ago on the M1+16GB iPad and they haven't reloaded. I expect the 16GB offers a lot of cushion. I reckon the 8GB model would likely still give me a very good experience. Alas, 4GB has just gotten somewhat annoying at this point.
The annoying test is exactly what I’m looking for haha. But I’ll check out the Max Tech video, thanks.
Yeah I have a 4gb 12.9” and the refreshes are the most productivity-disrupting thing about it.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Here’s my current RAM usage on the 2021 Pro 12.9 with just a handful of apps and Safari tabs open. I don’t think I’ve experienced any reloads so far today. That said, I wouldn’t have gotten 16GB RAM if I didn’t need 1TB storage.

View attachment 2004695

And here’s the RAM usage on my mini 6 which is pretty much reload city.

One of the webcomics apps I use on the mini appears to have a memory leak and will crash and forget my reading progress if I happen to read too many chapters in one sitting which kinda sucks.

View attachment 2004696
What app did you use to get these charts?
By the way I have finally decided to get the 12.9 M1 next week.
The reloads are too annoying on the 2018 and I have come to the conclusion that I could replace my 2015 with the M1 (I was keeping it as I like having 2 12.9 as I use them as monitors too).
I have thought a lot about 16 vs 8 GB and I have come to the conclusion that 8 should do as I don's split screen or multitask a lot on iPad, I do that on Windows and MacOS. I mainly do it to avoid Safari reloads, essentially of youtube videos started but not finished. And for this use even a 128GB should do (I still have 256 on the 2018 12.9, which I will keep as my default device for documents etc, and 1TB on the 11, which to be honest it's more than half empty). And I have several external SSDs, including a 4TB one. I am still debating between 128 and 256 but I am definitely getting a 5G model this time.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
What app did you use to get these charts?
By the way I have finally decided to get the 12.9 M1 next week.
The reloads are too annoying on the 2018 and I have come to the conclusion that I could replace my 2015 with the M1 (I was keeping it as I like having 2 12.9 as I use them as monitors too).
I have thought a lot about 16 vs 8 GB and I have come to the conclusion that 8 should do as I don's split screen or multitask a lot on iPad, I do that on Windows and MacOS. I mainly do it to avoid Safari reloads, essentially of youtube videos started but not finished. And for this use even a 128GB should do (I still have 256 on the 2018 12.9, which I will keep as my default device for documents etc, and 1TB on the 11, which to be honest it's more than half empty). And I have several external SSDs, including a 4TB one. I am still debating between 128 and 256 but I am definitely getting a 5G model this time.

Usage

I have a bunch of 1-4TB portable SSDs as well. However, I download a lot of DRM stuff on the iPad (Comixology, Disney+, iTunes videos, etc) so I still need lots of local storage (512GB is acceptable but occasionally feels too tight, 1TB is more comfortable).

I don’t really watch YouTube so I don’t know if the extra RAM would help for that. Most of the sites I browse are text-heavy and I feel like Safari may intentionally be dumping sites with media/dynamic content first. That said, my mini 6 constantly reloads when I switch between a few tabs with comics (lotsa static images) while I rarely ever get reloads on my M1/16GB iPP.

Reactions: max2

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
I am the opposite. iPads for me are last resort.

I use my Mac everyday, even for emails and watching videos. The 16" screen is so nice. I like the mouse support on macOS better and a real keyboard with esc and function keys is good.

I can do more on macOS than iPadOS and at the sametime too.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Usage

I have a bunch of 1-4TB portable SSDs as well. However, I download a lot of DRM stuff on the iPad (Comixology, Disney+, iTunes videos, etc) so I still need lots of local storage (512GB is acceptable but occasionally feels too tight, 1TB is more comfortable).

I don’t really watch YouTube so I don’t know if the extra RAM would help for that. Most of the sites I browse are text-heavy and I feel like Safari may intentionally be dumping sites with media/dynamic content first. That said, my mini 6 constantly reloads when I switch between a few tabs with comics (lotsa static images) while I rarely ever get reloads on my M1/16GB iPP.
Thanks, I don't understand much of the chart (active vs inactive, maybe inactive means compressed, wired or even total vs designed). Anyway interesting app.
My external drives are mainly for videos. I have quite a lot of documents too (mainly PDFs), around 50GB but the 256gb 2018 is still plenty for that, and I am keeping it for reading, since it's lighter, and as external monitor.
What I will stop doing on it is browsing and watching youtube videos, as Safari reloads too much.
So I'll sort of split usage between the 2... plus the 1TB 11pro (and given that I can hardly justify spending so much more for 1TB 5G with 16GB RAM). Hope iPadOS 16 does not make me regret my choice, but I doubt it.... ?

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
Look iPadOS is the only OS (ex tvOS) that does not have calculator. iPad does not have native PDF viewer like Mac with Preview.

Apple does not care..

even the Watch does.

Apple adds more apps to macOS than iPad. Recently Shortcuts was added to macOS. For iPadOS no new apps last year at WWDC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flabasha

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I have an 11in iPad Pro from 2020 and a M1 MBP 14in. They are both very different devices and I like it that way. I have the magic keyboard for the iPad, it's very good for emails and web stuff and some light document editing. But the iPad will never touch the Mac for all round, deeper computing needs. Simple stuff like having multiple windows open while you're working on a document or email. Deep file management etc. Even something simple like attaching a document to an email on the iPad is a bit of a pain.

The iPad is perfect for media consumption while relaxing in your favourite chair or in bed or when you're on a flight or train, to watch movies, listen to music etc. I use mine with the Kindle app as well. And I have several e-newspapers I use the iPad to read with.

They're different devices, I bring both the MBP and iPad on business travel. They both serve their purpose. the iPad also makes a great 2nd screen with the MBP.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
They're different devices, I bring both the MBP and iPad on business travel. They both serve their purpose. the iPad also makes a great 2nd screen with the MBP.

Had to work while in a hotel just recently. I gotta say, Duet Display (extended mode) on the 12.9” iPad paired with my 15” ThinkPad made my work a lot easier (Word + Excel + Powerpoint and a lot of copy-pasting between the three).

I hadn’t installed nor used Duet Display prior. I just researched options for using the iPad as secondary display on the spot since I was struggling with just the 15.6” display. I kinda wish there was a solution that allowed you to use multiple iPads without needing to use different apps/technologies for each “display”.

Reactions: OW22 and max2

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
How about Books as a pdf viewer?
Books and Preview are different. Books you can just view pdfs and do small edits. Books also is not meant for reading or editing PDFs. As the name suggests it's best at reading eBooks.

Preview does a whole lot more than just viewing PDFs than Books.

You have to say "open this PDF in Books" in the share menu as well after you download it on the iPad.

On a Mac PDFs automatically open using Preview.

Last edited:

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
I kinda wish there was a solution that allowed you to use multiple iPads without needing to use different apps/technologies for each “display”.
Kinda like Universal Control. I believe you can control multiple iPads and copy and paste between the Mac and the iPads from a single keyboard and mouse. This is why I prefer UC than Sidecar.

Last edited:

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Might get better but was a pita for me turned it off, constantly swapping to the iPad when I wanted to stay on my iMac.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Look iPadOS is the only OS (ex tvOS) that does not have calculator. iPad does not have native PDF viewer like Mac with Preview.

Apple does not care..

even the Watch does.

Apple adds more apps to macOS than iPad. Recently Shortcuts was added to macOS. For iPadOS no new apps last year at WWDC.
There are 100’s of calculator apps for the iPad, including the excellent pCal. What does it matter if there isn’t one built in?
And you know shortcuts was ios first right?

Also you can view pdfs extremely easily with files. You can also mark up with a pencil which you cannot do very easily with preview - which by the way is a terrible application.

I’m not sure why this forum holds so much hate for this device. It’s like liking the iPad is a personal insult to some users. It’s bizarre.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
know shortcuts was ios first right?
Yes, Apple seems ok making new apps and porting to Mac. But is not doing the same with iPadOS.

In fact the shortcuts was just not a ios app copy pasted to macOS but it was actually made with macOS in mind.

There are 100’s of calculator apps for the iPad, including the excellent pCal. What does it matter if there isn’t one built in?
And you know shortcuts was ios first right?
I know but they have ads or you have to pay to remove ads. I want a simple Calculator app by Apple on iPad like every other OS in the world.

Why did Apple make a calculator for the Apple Watch? By your argument there are already tons of calculator apps on the Watch already.

There is no reason at ALL for defending Apple for not making a calculator for iPad. The fact they made one on watchOS before the iPad shows how little Apple cares for iPadOS app wise.

Reactions: Dealmans
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.