Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Nah, I’ll find some use for it. Maybe carry it to the gym and watch TV on it when I don’t want to take my $1300 iPad for the same thing. Someday I’ll probably l just put it back in its original box and keep it in the garage.
Yeah, I think that’s the best option. Honestly I think that for content consumption it’ll never lose usefulness.

I’m in a similar position: upgraded from my 9.7-inch iPad Pro to the Air 5, and frankly the 9.7-inch iPad Pro (even on iOS 12) ticks all of the boxes for content consumption. 8.5-years-old, soon-to-be six major versions behind, and it’s still great.

You can probably find a purpose for it using it like that.

Reactions: erikkfi

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I went from a 10.5" Pro to a 2022 Air with the M1.

I'm going to upgrade back to a 13 Pro when
  • The current M1 Air I have dies
OR

• Apple make iPadOS able to run a bit more like macOS. Maybe run macOS applications but at least stop terminating applications in the background
  • Enable the iPad Pro to use my thunderbolt dock (I think they can already?)
If they can do that I will be able to replace my MacBook Pro + iPad Air combo and go back to a single device.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I had a 2018 12.9" that I didn't use enough so I gave it to a family member (who uses it daily with the Magic Keyboard). I ordered the 11" 1TB with cellular. 13" is awkward because it's too big for daily carry in my small camera bag and it's too small to use over my 16" MBP.

I'm hoping 11" and cellular will make the iPad something I can use when I'm on the go for the stuff I already do on my iPhone but want a bit more screen real estate (plus it saves iPhone battery life). In particular photo editing, video editing, media consumption, browsing, reading, basic note taking, etc. I didn't order the Magic Keyboard because I thought it would add too much bulk and the keyboard/trackpad size is not ideal, maybe I'll give it a go though.

If I don't find myself using the 11" the way I imagine I'll have to conclude the iPad isn't really for me.

Reactions: kitt9000 and ukms

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I have my trusty 2018 iPad Pro, and I don’t plan on upgrading.

The new iPads look amazing, but my current iPad does exactly what I want it to do.

What about you?
Can you believe someone replied angry to this post?

I just can’t work some people out on Macrumors.

There are some lovely people on here, but there sure are some strange ones :D.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Yeah, I think that’s the best option. Honestly I think that for content consumption it’ll never lose usefulness.

I’m in a similar position: upgraded from my 9.7-inch iPad Pro to the Air 5, and frankly the 9.7-inch iPad Pro (even on iOS 12) ticks all of the boxes for content consumption. 8.5-years-old, soon-to-be six major versions behind, and it’s still great.

You can probably find a purpose for it using it like that.
Too bad it’s on iOS 16, but honestly I still use it for Photoshop and Lightroom so I truly can’t complain. It’s been a damn good tablet for eight years.

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Too bad it’s on iOS 16, but honestly I still use it for Photoshop and Lightroom so I truly can’t complain. It’s been a damn good tablet for eight years.
Yeah, I’ve seen people say that ever since iPadOS 13, it hasn’t been the same. I have an iPhone 6s on iOS 13 and I agree. That chipset suffered a lot there.

To be honest, I’d love if mine were on iOS 9 as it should be, but Apple forced it out and I have to see the glass half-full. It’s my favourite iPad ever, and sadly it’s not perfect.

Still, like you said, it’s been mostly great for these eight years.

I was angry when Apple forced it out of iOS 9, but it’s still good enough for me to call it decent on iOS 12. You know I have huge expectations from my devices.

You’ll see that when it’s your second device, you will be able to forgive these iOS-induced shortcomings a little more gracefully. You will already have one device that works like it should, so the shortcomings of this one may not be so noticeable.

I notice the battery life the most. After over 5 hours of light use it’s at 50% (say, 5.5 or a little more). It used to take 7 or 7.5. That’s definitely noticeable. But after all, I just charge it a little more frequently. I don’t love that, but I know battery life would be half of what I get on iPadOS 16, so the fact that I’ve been able to keep it on a decent iOS version after so many years is important to me.

I can’t say I need those 3.5 hours of extra battery life honestly, it’s a home device for me so I can charge it.

Reactions: erikkfi

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Back to your original question.

I have a 12.9 1tb M2 used mostly with MK and upgrading to 13 M4 1tb also ordered MK.

mguzman

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
I have a 2018 12.9 iPad Pro that is getting traded in when I pick up a 13” iPad Pro M4 on Wednesday. My current 12.9 iPad Pro M1 is going to my wife to replace her iPad Air 3. I’ll also be picking up my first ever MK on Wednesday along with a Pencil Pro.

marcifer

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2018
iPad Mini 6 here - I adore it, but am not above a trade-in if a new Mini knocks my socks off.

I'd definitely consider making one of the new Pros my Macbook Pro M2 Max replacement, but until full-blown Adobe apps are a thing on iPad OS, I'll be sticking to the laptop.

Reactions: mvdw84

mvdw84

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Canada
During the pandemic I was without an iMac whilst awaiting the M1 ones - that took nearly 9 months (don't ask)...

I got a 12.9" M1 Pro and used that as my main device for that whole time...

That went to partner and I got a M1 iPad Air and a iPad Mini 6 (for work) 2 years ago

Then in November last year my mother-in-law needed an iPad unexpectedly whilst we were one a trip...so she got the Air - and I am now using the Mini 6 as my primary device. I love it - my only complaint was that I only have 64gb of storage...

2 Year AppleCare just expired and now month-to-month - (just in case) - till the new Mini makes an appearance - it's such a great size and portable device.

Can't lie though, look forward to seeing the new 11" Pro in person in the store - with the "Back to School" deals just around the corner too!

AnInanimateCarbonRod

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2017
I've had a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro since close to launch, and I just pulled the trigger on a trade-in to a 11" M4 iPad Pro.

I'm also picking up the Smart Folio to go with it, but I won't replace the Pencil nor buy a Magic Keyboard. I rarely ever used my Pencil and I already have a MacBook Pro for when I need to do serious typing.

Truthfully I don't know why I'm buying it outside of "it's new and I want it". I really haven't used my current iPad much in the past few years. I'm hoping that by stepping down to the 11", it's something a tad more portable that I will want to pick up and go with when I don't want or feel the need to bring a MacBook with me. I feel that the 12.9" size might be too large for pure tablet use and not as a computer replacement, so maybe instead of trying to replace a device I already have, the 11" can be a compliment that slots in somewhere. We'll see.

Chazani

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
Trading my 256gb wifi m1 iPad Pro for the 512gb wifi m4 iPad Pro. Battery life starting to get weak, and I use it all the time when off work, days off, or visiting family. I am wanting the new iPad mostly for the thinner, better battery life and oled. I also ordered the Apple pencil pro since I know my pencil 2nd gen will not work on the new iPad. Will have to get rid of the old pencil somehow. Maybe just ship it with the old iPad so they can recycle it..

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I have a 2018 12.9” that’s still running pretty well, but the battery is finally starting to show some age and tabs/apps reload more than I would like due to 4GB RAM, so I am feeling the upgrade itch this time.

Part of me wants to downsize. When I got my MBP in 2021, I was upgrading from a 15” and decided to go down to 14”, rather than up to 16”. It was the right choice and I’ve loved it, but the 11” just feels like too big a drop in screen real estate after using 13” for so long. If I could get a 12” with the 11’s aspect ratio, that would be ideal for me.

I’m going to check out both sizes and colours in store before buying, which is unlike me as I’m usually pretty decisive on those things 😂

Last edited:

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
No iPad currently, but last had 2021 12.9" iPad Pro 256GB in Space Gray with black Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil 2.

Now going to 2024 11" iPad Pro 256GB in Silver with Apple Pencil Pro.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I've had a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro since close to launch, and I just pulled the trigger on a trade-in to a 11" M4 iPad Pro.

I'm also picking up the Smart Folio to go with it, but I won't replace the Pencil nor buy a Magic Keyboard. I rarely ever used my Pencil and I already have a MacBook Pro for when I need to do serious typing.

Truthfully I don't know why I'm buying it outside of "it's new and I want it". I really haven't used my current iPad much in the past few years. I'm hoping that by stepping down to the 11", it's something a tad more portable that I will want to pick up and go with when I don't want or feel the need to bring a MacBook with me. I feel that the 12.9" size might be too large for pure tablet use and not as a computer replacement, so maybe instead of trying to replace a device I already have, the 11" can be a compliment that slots in somewhere. We'll see.
I think you’ll enjoy the size. It’s definitely more portable.

pommephone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
I purchased a 12.9" M2 Pro on April 14, solely for use as a music reading display with the ForScore app. It's my first iPad. If the screen on the new M4 were significantly larger I'd have regret, but it's not (.05 or 1/20" higher and .02 or 1/50" wider). For my use, even the 12.9" M2 is overkill. However, if I were purchasing an iPad today I'd go for the new one. 😁

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I've had a 4th gen iPad Air (256 GB, Wi-fi) since it launched in the Fall of 2020. I have no plans to upgrade for the time being. I use my iPad daily for work and personal use, but I don't know what a new one would need to offer to get me to upgrade at this point. It does everything I need it to, and its A14 is still quite fast.

Reactions: snipr125

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
M1 iPad Pro 11" with Apple Pencil 2nd gen and Magic Keyboard.

Zero plans to upgrade. OLED and thinner seem nice, but I don't wanna pay, play panel lottery, or otherwise. iOS is also the bigger bottleneck than the SoC.

Also on iOS 17.0 and value side loading (TrollStore dirty upgraded from iOS 16) without being beholden to 7 day free account certs.

--

My iPad mini 5th gen, on the other hand, I'd be happy to upgrade if the price were right on mini 6 and it has enough compelling features, etc.

But it's a device I use in bed, and I won't part with it even if I do upgrade that down the road. Totally skipping current mini 6. Nor do I really need it

That said, always curious to take a look at the new device when its in stores just to have some familiarity with it.

Last edited:

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
Quick question on pencil, will the old pencil 1 lightning work on the new models, isnt it the same as usbc pencil but differnet connector, and no need for magnets?

wes2006ag

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Houston
Going from a 2018 12.9 inch iPad to the new 13 inch Pro with a keyboard. Bought the 2018 iPad Pro refurbished in 2020 and passing it on to a family member because Apple only offered me $60 trade-in for it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I dont really need to upgrade, but I want to. The screen, camera placement + the fact I don’t expect upgrades for at least 1.5 years if not 2 years is why I’m upgrading now.
Same to me here. M1 iPad Pro serves me quite well 90% of the time but those insanely spec bumped hardware makes me tempting to upgrade. If there is a uhh good Deal I might as well just jump The ship.
Unless the Pencil 2 is compatible with the new ipad pros?
No Pencil 2 is not compatible with the new iPad Pro. You must buy the new Apple Pencil Pro.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Can you believe someone replied angry to this post?

I just can’t work some people out on Macrumors.

There are some lovely people on here, but there sure are some strange ones :D.

The angry contingent is growing. I don't understand why it is even an option, but it has been discussed to death in the appropriate forum and MR are not going to change it.

I usually upgrade when my wife needs to upgrade, at which point I give her my iPad and buy myself a new one (a sensible course of action I think ;)).
At this stage I have a 2018 11" pro that is serving me to perfection, however my wife is still using a 9.7" pro and it definitely needs upgrading.
I might go for a new M4 pro, but I am annoyed and puzzled by the absence of a Smart Keyboard Folio (IMO the perfect combination of weight, protection, usability and price), and also the need to purchase a new pencil (why, oh why?)

The Magic Keyboard is great, but it doubles the weight of the iPad and the thickness, plus (unlike the Smart Folio) it must be removed to use the iPad as a tablet.
As for the pencil, I appreciate the magnets are in a different position, but as there are external chargers for the Pencil 2, why shouldn't I be able to use it? Absolute nonsense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.