Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Didn't read the whole thread but is there a reason not to use these in cars as a backup tracker? I could see a thief knowing how to disable the tracking tech in the car.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Didn't read the whole thread but is there a reason not to use these in cars as a backup tracker? I could see a thief knowing how to disable the tracking tech in the car.
You'll likely want to duct tape it somewhere outside of the passenger cabin (maybe under the hood somewhere?) - after 3 days of being away from you, they start making noise when they move - if your car is stolen when you're on vacation, you don't want the thief being alerted that there's a tracker in the car. :)

Maybe, just maybe, it won't alert the thief that they're being tracked if it's outside the vehicle - more than a few feet away from their iPhone. We won't know that until someone tests that use case.

I see lots of people trying to use these for theft purposes...not going to work for you that way, when the thief is notified when they return home. :)

Reactions: GlenK

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
I see lots of people trying to use these for theft purposes...not going to work for you that way, when the thief is notified when they return home. :)
I think it is a good compromise when it comes to privacy.

Thief will know they are being tracked.
You will know where the thief lives (last location).

Reactions: GlenK

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I think it is a good compromise when it comes to privacy.

Thief will know they are being tracked.
You will know where the thief lives (last location).
I'm hoping Apple tweaks their algorithms over time to make the theft protection more of a feature. They also need to add family sharing capabilities / use cases.

Giving Air Tag owners the capability of identifying tracked items as assets and building up that trust factor over a period of time (ie - no "stalker alerts" generated by the tags) should help to prove out how they're being used.

For those that want something a little less permanent than duct tape to secure their Air Tag somewhere in their vehicle, these may be a good solution:

2REPOU

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2019
I can't think of anything. I always put my keys and wallet in the same spot and I prefer the lowest profile possible on the wallet and keys. I love the idea. Maybe a bike but can't really see the police tracking a bike.

Reactions: B.A.T and pippox0

Hansana

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2014
45fd5dcbcc61c254940335bf223e7d5f.jpg

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I caved in and bought a 4 pack.

1. Keys
2. Day Bag
3. Camera Bag
4. iPad Bag

I might buy a single once the Pandemic is over for my laptop. As of right now It hasn't left the house in over a year.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
How's it working for your wallet, and what type of wallet do you use. i have one set for my keys, but truth be told, I miss-place my wallet more often then my keys
I gave up on the wallet, I emptied the coins in my wallet with an AirTag and yet it still feels thicker. And I can hear the plastic crushed under my weight so I decided to leave it out lol

Hansana

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2014
This is probably the cutest post on here! Has your feline shown any resistance to it?

Haha thanks. Not really he’s only 8 weeks so feel like the AirTag is a tad too big and heavy for him. Might take it off till he grows up a bit. Bangs everywhere as he runs and when ever he drinks water the airtag just submerges in the water

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I gave up on the wallet, I emptied the coins in my wallet with an AirTag and yet it still feels thicker. And I can hear the plastic crushed under my weight so I decided to leave it out lol
Yeah, that was my concern as well, thanks for the update.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I have bought 2 so far
the first one is in the Product Red Keychain and has my car and house keys on it.
The second is in my EDC and just sitting in one of the pockets.

May get a few more and put them in my luggage when I travel again. and possibly one on my second set of car key and one on my dog.

joysmahal

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
I bought 8 AirTags (2 four packs). Only opened up 1 box so far and here's what I'm using them for:

Plan on using a couple AirTags for my two boys' backpacks. And maybe using one in my briefcase (still WFH and not sure when we're going back in the office) and maybe one or two in our luggage when we travel.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
No because the owners will be in the same location as the tags.
Flight cancelations and lost luggage separate bags from their owners all the time. Never had to wait an extra 15 mins for the next plane to arrive with your bag?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Flight cancelations and lost luggage separate bags from their owners all the time. Never had to wait an extra 15 mins for the next plane to arrive with your bag?
Hmm. This thread has me wondering if the Airlines shouldn't ban AirTags: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/luggage-tracking-in-airports.2297368/

Just thinking about how terrorists could use these to track bombs. Make sure that they're still on the plane....not a good thing!!!

Maybe all of the luggage workers will be forced to leave their iPhones in the locker rooms because of this.

Edit: Apple could fix this in the Find My back end infrastructure. Put a block on all Airports.

Ok...I'll have to send that in as a feature request....done.

Last edited:

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
Hmm. This thread has me wondering if the Airlines shouldn't ban AirTags: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/luggage-tracking-in-airports.2297368/

Just thinking about how terrorists could use these to track bombs. Make sure that they're still on the plane....not a good thing!!!

Maybe all of the luggage workers will be forced to leave their iPhones in the locker rooms because of this.

Edit: Apple could fix this in the Find My back end infrastructure. Put a block on all Airports.

Ok...I'll have to send that in as a feature request....done.
It’s a super interesting topic. There’s always 3rd party GPS trackers that have been around for years and can accomplish the same thing or better (think: tracking a person without them known it) but as always, Apple will get the bad press because it’s new and easily accessible.

Reactions: MisterSavage

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
It’s a super interesting topic. There’s always 3rd party GPS trackers that have been around for years and can accomplish the same thing or better (think: tracking a person without them known it) but as always, Apple will get the bad press because it’s new and easily accessible.
True. I keep forgetting about all of the "spy tech" that allowed private investigators and paranoid spouses track / spy on people. These being mainstream, cheap and available everywhere will make them commonplace.

Those that intend to cause harm will always find new and nefarious ways to use tech for their purposes.

It will be interesting to see how the use of these will shape events.

Reactions: MacFan782040
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.