Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VaderRulez

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2019
Ok so the Monarch is going back. It's nice and all, but just not feeling it. Especially with the saggy bottom and sides.

What UAG alternatives are out there?

Reactions: bobsamm

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Ok so the Monarch is going back. It's nice and all, but just not feeling it. Especially with the saggy bottom and sides.

Man that blows, it was always the best imo, pathfinder to slippery, plasma and plyo get greasy and scratches, the new civilian is slippery apparently.

I am still holding out with the OB Symmetry lol.

Reactions: VaderRulez

Minger1

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2020

You could try the Metropolis if you are into folio style cases.

Just received the Pathfinder in Midnight Camo. It is slippery but not anymore so than the Plasma. Overall I’d rate them .... Monarch > Pathfinder > Plasma. Will post photos later tonight.

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
If anyone is looking for a unique clear case, with AWESOME grip, check out the Smartish Kung Fu Grip in “Nothin to Hide”. It does have a completely clear back, so it does show finger prints, but the sides are frosted and have great grip. Buttons are great and no sag. Have used their color cases before, when they were Silk, but not the clear.

Also using their “Nudist” case for my XR. It has a frosted back and clear sides, but the grip and buttons are great too!!

VaderRulez

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2019
Man that blows, it was always the best imo, pathfinder to slippery, plasma and plyo get greasy and scratches, the new civilian is slippery apparently.

I am still holding out with the OB Symmetry lol.

Yeah it does, but I will look for some other UAG knockoff maybe. Do you know of any?

Reactions: bobsamm

stefanooo

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
I just got the Caudabe Sheath for my IP 11 Pro. Initially, I thought it was a little too thin, fair grip and I really had to stare to see the raised lip on the front. After about a week or so, the grip is a bit better and thankfully I haven’t dropped my phone as I’m not 100% convinced of the protection factor.

In the meantime I've added a black Otterbox Symmetry and a black Caudabe Sheath to the case collection.

First impressions:
Symmetry: hard plastic, back is very slippery, buttons good, thick which gives the impression protection is okay.

Sheath: sooo thin... nice grippy texture, buttons good, tiny raised lip so if the phone falls on anything but a totally flat surface (so typically on the street) it will damage the screen, case is so thin I wonder what happens when it drops. The "2m drop tested" is a nice claim, but I can't find a recent drop test anywhere.

My case ratings based on drop-confidence (of the cases I have):
1. Mous Clarity
2. Otterbox Symmetry
3. Tech21 Evo Check
4. Mous Limitless 3.0
5. Caudabe Sheath

My case ratings based when not taking drop protection into account:
1. Caudabe Sheath
2. Tech21 Evo Check
3. Otterbox Symmetry
4. Mous Clarity
5. Mous Limitless 3.0

So.... I'm clueless. Why doesn't anybody make a nice minimalistic case which is grippy and gives me confidence my phone will survive a drop out on the streets up to 2mtrs? Why?
(it doesn't have to survive a drop from a 15m tower)

Last edited:
Reactions: bobsamm and nrvous1

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
So.... I'm clueless. Why doesn't anybody make a nice minimalistic case which is grippy gives me confidence my phone will survive a drop out on the streets up to 2mtrs? Why?

Have you tried the a Silk/Smartish cases? Thicker than Sheath, but same texture/grip.

Minger1

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2020
I’ve ordered a UAG Pathfinder SE in Forest Camo. Will report back when I get it tomorrow.

image0.jpg

DonnyXMX

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Garden State
Has anyone tried this case by chance?

Just reading up and watching some videos, they have a clear back on all colors, even the black. For me that’s a no go.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
In the meantime I've added a black Otterbox Symmetry and a black Caudabe Sheath to the case collection.

First impressions:
Symmetry: hard plastic, back is very slippery, buttons good, thick which gives the impression protection is okay.

Sheath: sooo thin... nice grippy texture, buttons good, tiny raised lip so if the phone falls on anything but a totally flat surface (so typically on the street) it will damage the screen, case is so thin I wonder what happens when it drops. The "2m drop tested" is a nice claim, but I can't find a recent drop test anywhere.

My case ratings based on drop-confidence:
1. Mous Clarity
2. Otterbox Symmetry
3. Tech21 Evo Check
4. Mous Limitless 3.0
5. Caudabe Sheath

My case ratings based when not taking drop protection into account:
1. Caudabe Sheath
2. Tech21 Evo Check
3. Otterbox Symmetry
4. Mous Clarity
5. Mous Limetless 3.0

So.... I'm clueless. Why doesn't anybody make a nice minimalistic case which is grippy gives me confidence my phone will survive a drop out on the streets up to 2mtrs? Why?

Wait.. so are you saying based on drop protection you think Mous Clarity is the best? I have it but I like my Zizo Bolt more....

Mel8899

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
Anyone know of a case that feels like the Tech21 Evo Check case but isn’t so wide and thick on sides?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.