Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Got in the 2 x doria cases. The defense prime is excellent. With the leather it’s a nice grip and relatively low profile for 10 feet of protection. Great fit to the phone. Quite impressive.

the tactical is nice, but not nearly as impressive as the Prime.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
2 pics

Attachments

• 08ADA92E-4D6A-43CF-9F7D-7E854C39F5C2.jpeg
    08ADA92E-4D6A-43CF-9F7D-7E854C39F5C2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 297
  • 020C5C16-F298-4645-8160-177F6CEB4A57.jpeg
    020C5C16-F298-4645-8160-177F6CEB4A57.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 285
Reactions: blaine07

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Is this the one you used, by chance? I've got an older, notched screen protector left over from my XS Max that I'm using but thinking of going the full coverage route...

This is the one I have. I used the same one on my Xs Max. It works well with my ESR case.

Reactions: aloper

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
@aloper

Sorry I was trying to add a link to my reply but it’s not working.

it’s the ninth one down on that list for £13.99.

For some reason I can’t copy and paste the link.

Sorry for any confusion.

The description for the link you posted sounds right though.

Last edited:

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I don't really agree - the steel band is super polished and slippery. Try propping up your phone against any surface and it slips. A case fixes that.

Having used 5, 6, 7, and X caseless, there is no question that the X has the best grip of that bunch (and equivalent grip to the 4 which was using similar materials). The anodised aluminium of the original iPhone / 5 / 6 / 7 is definitely more slippery than the stainless steel band of the X (although I agree the grip of the steel is not perfect either). And on top of that the glass back of the X does offer very good grip so overall while I have used all these models without a case with no problem, the X definitely feels more secure in hand than the few iterations before it, and is only equaled (but not beaten) by the 3G, the 4 and the 5C in terms of good grip without a case. Problem to use the 3G and 5C without a case however was that their glossy plastic finish was very scratch prone, so really the kings of caseless usage are the 4 and the X IMO.

J3WMH

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
Bay Area
Picked up 2 cases so far. Love the space gray and Apple leather saddle brown combo. Hopefully it patinas nicely!

Also picked up the Mous Contour based off another person’s post. Only had it on for an hour or so but so far I like it! A little thicker but not too thick. I usually prefer cases on the thinner side (Totallee, Caudube Sheath). This ones got a nice lip around it and the back has a nice texture, almost like a light sandpaper feel, similar to the Grafix expressions case a few years ago (for those who remember).
F4983C5A-1292-4881-AAD9-F2344A6B7D98.jpeg
E58DA9DF-D683-4EA1-94F3-D11708B7A4AB.jpeg

Last edited:

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Screen repair is 25, the express replacement is 80 here. So I guess you could do express replacement to get the whole device replaced. I was talking about the screen repair option.

[automerge]1569228297[/automerge]

I don't really agree - the steel band is super polished and slippery. Try propping up your phone against any surface and it slips. A case fixes that.

I was debating on buying Apple Care in case I wreck the device. I was going to buy an Otter Box style case but it is a bit too bulky and I don’t really use the clip.
With Apple Care if I crack the screen it’s 80 and they send a new device?

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011

ChubbyChubbs

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Central Florida
Tech21 Studio Colour

Very nice case but it’s the byproduct of trying to be first to market. The cutout for the mute switch is too big & isn’t centered. The cutout for the camera has a little extra room as well. Tried to capture this the best I could in the pics. Feel is like a hybrid of the Apple silicone case & the Caudabe Sheath, which I like. & the blue is really nice in person. So I’m making do, for now.

D7B09D94-7A3B-48FA-B2FD-D28DD68E415C.jpeg
625A529D-3E66-4011-9CD6-5381E5F7B612.jpeg
EC09E9CD-B819-4BB3-A49E-26BC2263470F.jpeg
085C3C9D-00C3-4B46-9AE4-BFB1F75916E4.jpeg
FEFBF638-F045-433B-81B2-6DF43F6283DA.jpeg
C8D54EFB-F4E4-40E2-96AE-EB728C05FB84.jpeg

Reactions: bojack and blaine07

outsidah

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Stupid question, but I have never had one of these flip kind of cases before. How does one answer a phone call? Does the flap just brush against your head or are you able to comfortably fold it all the way back? Also, are you able to close the cover and speak through the flap or is that not possible?

The gold phone with the case’s cover look so nice! I wonder if it would look nice with the midnight green, but I feel it would not.

Not the OP but the whole answering the phone with the flap floating around or having to hold it back is the reason I won’t even consider those cases. The combination in the pic looks great though!

One thing I will note, the colored leather cases from Apple don’t wear nicely IMO (aside from the brown and the black). My blue one from last year got real dirty looking and I’m very careful.

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
Stupid question, but I have never had one of these flip kind of cases before. How does one answer a phone call? Does the flap just brush against your head or are you able to comfortably fold it all the way back? Also, are you able to close the cover and speak through the flap or is that not possible?

The gold phone with the case’s cover look so nice! I wonder if it would look nice with the midnight green, but I feel it would not.

I had a Nomad wallet case with my XS and I got used to the flap. There’s no cutoff for the earpiece on none so I never tried talking with the flap closed.

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
Picked up 2 cases so far. Love the space gray and Apple leather saddle brown combo. Hopefully it patinas nicely!

Also picked up the Mous Contour based off another person’s post. Only had it on for an hour or so but so far I like it! A little thicker but not too thick. I usually prefer cases on the thinner side (Totallee, Caudube Sheath). This ones got a nice lip around it and the back has a nice texture, almost like a light sandpaper feel, similar to the Grafix expressions case a few years ago (for those who remember). View attachment 862734 View attachment 862735

I’ve been curious about the Mous. I found their case pretty thick on the Max size phones, while it’s fine on the smaller ones.

J3WMH

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
Bay Area
I’ve been curious about the Mous. I found their case pretty thick on the Max size phones, while it’s fine on the smaller ones.

Ya I have the pro so I imagine a pro max plus a thick case could be a lot to handle. Also, I think this is one of their “thinner” cases. I’ll probably just end up swapping back and forth once a week ?

elkrebso

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
Does anyone have Midnight Green with a Black leather Apple case? Would love to see that combo in real life.

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
The UAG Monarch has been redesigned and looks better with more grip. Hopefully it doesn’t sag at the charging port. 15% off if you sign up for their emails so I will give it a shot.

https://www.urbanarmorgear.com/
Which one did you go for, leather/carbon fiber? I've just ordered the carbon. I like how the UAG branding on the back is not loud anymore. Can you post some pics if you get the chance please. Thanks

Reactions: SBC44

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012

Also picked up the Mous Contour based off another person’s post. Only had it on for an hour or so but so far I like it! A little thicker but not too thick. I usually prefer cases on the thinner side (Totallee, Caudube Sheath). This ones got a nice lip around it and the back has a nice texture, almost like a light sandpaper feel, similar to the Grafix expressions case a few years ago (for those who remember). View attachment 862734 View attachment 862735

I saw the Mous Speckled case on Amazon a couple of days ago, but couldn’t tell how it looked, so I didn’t buy at the time. Your pictures just got me to purchase. Looks nice. Hopefully it has a good feel. Should look nice with my Silver 11 Pro Max.

I also purchased the Apple Midnight Blue leather case this past weekend. Plus, a couple of clear cases with designs and a Burga case off of Amazon. The Amazon cases except for the Burga case (didn’t know that one was coming from England) should be here today.

With the Spigen Liquid Crystal Glitter case, that’s 6 cases and I don’t have the phone just yet - arriving today. I anticipate having to return 1 or 2, maybe. We’ll see. I like cases though.

Last edited:
Reactions: J3WMH

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Ringke fushion, does its job. (Daughter bedazzled my phone)
Undecided on the Speck case. It adds a lot of bulk. And it came with scratches already on it
72B0D17E-9CAF-4E27-9BD3-EAD04A56EABF.jpeg
FDC478ED-BFD8-4509-A8DD-BCEB24865AD7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: colburnr

kadinh

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
I've been using the saddle brown apple leather case since launch date, ordered spigen ultra hybrid with built in stand, spigen liquid crystal, and mous limitless 3.0 yesterday to check them out. I had a Pitaka on my X for the longest time and I'm considering getting the Air case from them too (I don't need the metal mount pieces inside).

Pug72

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2012
England
Ringke Fusion-X. I got this for $2 on Amazon during the introductory sale.

View attachment 861372

After loving this in black the Ruby Red colour became available yesterday on Amazon UK and is on it's way.

Definitely my fave case that shows off the phone with great protection at a great price.

The previous Ringke cases come with a card with 20% discount codes on, I found code NEWIPHONER was the one that worked for 11 Pro Max cases. (Amazon UK).

Reactions: kadinh

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
How about scratching? My apple clear case had scratches in less than 24 hours!

I've had mine for 24 hours and love the feel of it.. Usually not a fan of the clear cases at all... Feel cheap and look disgusting after a very short period in use... This though feels nice and looks great. Can't tell how it will look after a year though

pcmike

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
Anyone get a shipping notification for their limitless 3.0 yet? Fingers crossed they actually start shipping today. With the MobileReviewsEh promo code (20% off, MOBILEREVIEWSEH2009-19XF) the case for the Pro came to an even $40 shipped. Can’t wait to receive it. Already returned 4 cases to Amazon so far.

Problem I’ve noticed with all the cases this year is that the manufacturers just changed the camera bump cut out, but failed to account for the slight increase in thickness which means the case has to really stretch over the phone and it results in the “lips” around the edges being less than they were last year which makes your phone definitely more prone to certain issues. I for one look for a proper lip around the screen incase the phone is placed screen side down and to date NO case I’ve received has the same lip depth as the very same case last year on the XS.

Reactions: Jaggrey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.