Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Delorean2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2012
I’m thinking of getting the figura case from Apple, does anyone have the blue with a blue titanium phone? I feel like the blue is a little too light but might be a little darker with the blue phone. Torn between the black and blue figura case.

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
Could you post a direct link? I’d be interested in this I think. How’s the magnets?
This is the company I bought from: Notow Factory

They took down my specific product link, but I think they just replaced it with a new product page. There are a bunch a different options though. Not only this company.

For the magsafe it works nice and strong from my testing. I only have the old original apple leather wallet and it attaches firmly.

Sal09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Might order one of these.

Prime Day starts in 22 hours and their launch date is set to 10th Oct.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
13 PM Sheath:

a172db654f6cc85d7325bab735102299.jpg

15 PM Sheath:

790eb2f7386dbd99b54987019424b18e.jpg

Believe it or not, the felt lined 15 PM Sheath is lighter than the unlined 13 PM version.

midkay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Wasn't there some website selling the FineWoven cases for real cheap? I'm looking for the link and can't find it.

Edit: Found it, AliExpress.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teach8870

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Can I just bring the discussion back to the oft-maligned FineWoven case? I broke down and got one while I was in the Apple Store. After a few days of use, I have a white magsafe outline on the back, scratches that won’t wipe off, and the fit is terrible. I can literally feel give on the sides. And, did I mention some USB-C cables don’t even work because the cutout is too small?

This guy is going back to the Apple Store next week. I don’t mind the look or feel. Sort of unique. But man, everything else is just piss poor.

I've generally given Apple's cases a pass at being a little less durable than the competition since they generally feel nice (silicone can even be restored a bit if it gets to sticky/weird), leather doesn't seem to wear as well as in the past, but still fine. I was hoping that FineWoven would be similar, but I was also disappointed. The USB-C cutout is too small for even reasonable third-party adapters and cables (comparing with the USB-C cutout on my ESR iPad case), and the material seemed very fragile (I get leather scratches, but also sort of "heals"—a cloth scratching from a thumbnail is just odd since there are so many cloth options that wouldn't). Even though I'm rather gentle with my gadgets, the case seemed way too fragile (at least for not letting it look like garbage) and doesn't seem easily-cleaned. I can only imagine the time I accidentally set my phone down on a greasy spot on table at a restaurant.

I actually really liked the look and feel, but have a feeling it will look rough in a matter of weeks. Looking at this thread, as usual there's a lot of great third-party options and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple quietly discontinues these in a year or so.

Related, I've always ended up with way too many extra cases, but I've generally had a go-to with each iPhone. I completely forgot, but the XR and regular 11 didn't have an Apple leather case option. I somehow forgot that in my timeline of iPhones: skipping my 4 and 5, Apple silicone with 6, Apple leather with 2016 SE (technically a 5S case - also used a lot of my 5 cases), Apple leather with 8 Plus (as well as a lot of third-party cases), Spigen Liquid Air with 11, Apple leather with 12 mini (as well as silicone and a few non-MagSafe cases I barely used), Spigen Liquid Air with "spare" 2020 SE, Spigen Mag Armor with 15)

Last edited:

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
13 PM Sheath:

a172db654f6cc85d7325bab735102299.jpg

15 PM Sheath:

790eb2f7386dbd99b54987019424b18e.jpg

Believe it or not, the felt lined 15 PM Sheath is lighter than the unlined 13 PM version.

Cool comparison, thanks for that! Nice to see the 15 PM Sheath is lighter. Either way, I've never really had a problem with the Sheath's weight. It's just an ounce and a half basically which is nothing. And with how much lighter the iPhone got this year over the 14s, it's an even lesser issue.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
From everything I’ve read and heard about the Fine Woven cases leads me to think Apple has made a big mistake introducing them due to serious lack of quality and then being prone to wear so easily and quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised if they discontinued them with the next iPhone release. 🤔

I agree. Apple would have to be crazy to continue selling them in their current form. I could see them improving on it somehow though. This is probably a multi year thing for them since it's a leather replacement.

Reactions: AE14 and Mr.C

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Finally received the Pitaka StarPeak Over the Horizon MagEZ 4 and I LOVE IT!!!

Packaged and protected well.

So slim and light weight. Pattern on the back is classy and elegant and matches the Blue Ti perfectly. Fit is tight and no wiggle at all.

It’s not really picking up my fingerprints that badly like I was expecting.

IMG_0979.jpeg
IMG_0128.jpeg
IMG_0129.jpeg
IMG_0130.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0981.jpeg
    IMG_0981.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0980.jpeg
    IMG_0980.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0977.jpeg
    IMG_0977.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0978.jpeg
    IMG_0978.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 89

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
I agree. Apple would have to be crazy to continue selling them in their current form. I could see them improving on it somehow though. This is probably a multi year thing for them since it's a leather replacement.
ive had mine for a while and quite like it and its not wearing as fast as some think give them time before rushing to judgement

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
ive had mine for a while and quite like it and its not wearing as fast as some think give them time before rushing to judgement
Honestly, it think it's more about the price point. If they put fine woven at the same price point as silicone (at the least), that would be fair. But discontinuing such a popular product such as the leather cases, and then force feeding customers fine woven at the same price point and saying it's a worthy replacement is where people lose it.

Reactions: VSMacOne and Mr.C

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Yes they would either need to improve on them providing something more durable or replace them with an alternative. The material Native Union uses called Yatay which is a plant based material springs to mind. 🤔

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
The majority of the comments I’ve seen out there seem to disagree with that. Considering that people have only had these cases for a short while they shouldn’t be showing wear already.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
Check out Bare Case. They're decent thin cases. Had one for my 14PM. Considering for my 15PM too
I can't strongly enough recommending avoiding Bare Case!! I tried it for my 15 Pro, and a) the case isn't a great fit (the top right corner comes off every time I take it out my pocket) and b) the customer service seems awful! I decided I wanted to return it as I really wasn't happy with the fit, and after multiple emails asking to initiate a return they haven't even replied! So now I'm stuck with a poor reasonably pricey case that I don't want.

Stay clear!!

Reactions: Mr.C

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Honestly, it think it's more about the price point. If they put fine woven at the same price point as silicone (at the least), that would be fair. But discontinuing such a popular product such as the leather cases, and then force feeding customers fine woven at the same price point and saying it's a worthy replacement is where people lose it.

My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: noiceT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.