Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

JBlass421

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2019
That particular version has a cutout. Now the Sheath has a choice of a covered action button or open button. Their first run of cases had the cutout, but they’ve revised it to be covered.

To be honest, now that I’ve received the 3 Sheath and 1 Synthesis with the covered action button (after using the cutout versions for 3 weeks), I kinda prefer the cutout version.

I’m thinking about selling the covered action button versions and sticking with the cutout ones.

Very interesting. What makes you prefer the cutout version?

Reactions: VaderRulez

thekidat

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Sorry not much of a photographer and i am currently outside. Really love this case! Tried the Sheath, Symmetry, both apple silicone and FW, Otterbox Symmetry, Ringke Onyx and Fusion, and Elago silicone and Spigen Thin Fit. Not an aramid fibre person so haven't tried those.

This is my favourite and i am done for this year… until someone else changes my mind!
Up the chels

Reactions: anizee

illmatic41

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
Ok. Got my pro max. Have the pitaka mag ez pro on it.

It’s a beautiful case. Cosmetics are fantastic as is the build quality.

I do have a gripe. The edges are chamfered at an angle vs rounded and it’s not super comfortable. It’s not bad but I do wish it was more round.

But it’s very nice.
Sounds like you might want to check out the Benks Kevlar Armor Pro and/or Spigen Aramid Enzo...

Reactions: rKunda

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
i reached out to phonerebel about the buttons and logo plate and like always got a quick reply. here’s what they said:
“Hey Darrin, the buttons have been extensively tumbled for deburring, and then go through a rigorous multi-step PVD coating process.

In our testing the PC sticker degrades the click of the button, and is not needed because of our new PVD coating process.

The rebel back logo is .5mm below phone back glass, it shouldn't make constant contact with glass.”

the buttons on the inside do feel really smooth. i really thought they had padding. i’ve gotta say, the gen 5 is my favorite case ever. looks great to me, has tremendous grip, easy swiping in all directions and seems very protective. i’ll be using it without worry.

edit: i just wanted to add that the material the case is made from feels so good. it’s different from other plastic cases i’ve had.

Last edited:

Seppolainen

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2017
got a 15 PM. Bought a Decoded leather case when I got the phone, superb case with regard to quality and overall feel, but it adds quite a lot of bulk (and weight) to an already big phone. Got a Benks arbor Air, goddamn this case feels good on the phone, adds almost no bulk or weight, has a decent camera bump and ok "lip".

Reactions: VaderRulez

nanohits

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
That particular version has a cutout. Now the Sheath has a choice of a covered action button or open button. Their first run of cases had the cutout, but they’ve revised it to be covered.

To be honest, now that I’ve received the 3 Sheath and 1 Synthesis with the covered action button (after using the cutout versions for 3 weeks), I kinda prefer the cutout version.

I’m thinking about selling the covered action button versions and sticking with the cutout ones.
Why is that, Are the buttons not good to use or harder to press etc?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Post some pics of your combo please

Poor quality but here you go.

c8e4d2aff3e3cd066e64e04492a5a77f.png

a272818ff6c7280c4fae330c6ae41dd1.dng

0f6183d487fa8569a61905ef38b72a70.dng

Reactions: JBlass421 and Sal09

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I just bought these and waiting for delivery. They said they will ship in 5 days.
I had one of these, went straight back as it’s like a bar of soap. 🧼

Reactions: VSMacOne

Pug72

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2012
England
Like the option of custom colour camera ring and buttons with the Rhinoshield Solidsuit, but it's reportedly slippy.
Any user views?

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I really like the Apple clear case. It feels good. It lets you see the phone. It’s durable.

I also like clear cases, as they let us see the colours of our iPhones. There are many better 3rd party options, however. The problem with Apple’s one is that it is very hard, so not so grippy and can scratch iPhone’s sides when you take it off for cleaning. Then it does not entirely cover the bottom and costs a lot for a piece of plastic with a magnet ring. I find that other case makers do a much better job for a better price.

I currently use this one and like it a lot:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.