Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
i reached out to phonerebel about the buttons and logo plate and like always got a quick reply. here’s what they said:
“Hey Darrin, the buttons have been extensively tumbled for deburring, and then go through a rigorous multi-step PVD coating process.

In our testing the PC sticker degrades the click of the button, and is not needed because of our new PVD coating process.

The rebel back logo is .5mm below phone back glass, it shouldn't make constant contact with glass.”

the buttons on the inside do feel really smooth. i really thought they had padding. i’ve gotta say, the gen 5 is my favorite case ever. looks great to me, has tremendous grip, easy swiping in all directions and seems very protective. i’ll be using it without worry.

edit: i just wanted to add that the material the case is made from feels so good. it’s different from other plastic cases i’ve had.

I received this same canned response. Wonder why they had protective backing on the Gen 4 buttons if they didn't need them?

Reactions: VaderRulez

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
I realized what was throwing me off about the rebel gen 5. The sides of the case are thicker. Makes it look not and feel not as sleek. 😔

VaderRulez

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2019
That particular version has a cutout. Now the Sheath has a choice of a covered action button or open button. Their first run of cases had the cutout, but they’ve revised it to be covered.

To be honest, now that I’ve received the 3 Sheath and 1 Synthesis with the covered action button (after using the cutout versions for 3 weeks), I kinda prefer the cutout version.

I’m thinking about selling the covered action button versions and sticking with the cutout ones.

You got a PM by chance? Lol.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Is this legit packaging for OT?

aa61358ee9fdfc23687a6105075b43ce.jpg
Never received one like that before. Either come in the retail packaging or the brown Otterbox cardboard box from Amazon.

Pje200

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016
i reached out to phonerebel about the buttons and logo plate and like always got a quick reply. here’s what they said:
“Hey Darrin, the buttons have been extensively tumbled for deburring, and then go through a rigorous multi-step PVD coating process.

In our testing the PC sticker degrades the click of the button, and is not needed because of our new PVD coating process.

The rebel back logo is .5mm below phone back glass, it shouldn't make constant contact with glass.”

the buttons on the inside do feel really smooth. i really thought they had padding. i’ve gotta say, the gen 5 is my favorite case ever. looks great to me, has tremendous grip, easy swiping in all directions and seems very protective. i’ll be using it without worry.

edit: i just wanted to add that the material the case is made from feels so good. it’s different from other plastic cases i’ve had.
Absolutely love mine also, best case I ever had.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
tried the otterbox symmetry… feels great in the hand, and buttons are excellent but that’s where the hype kind of stops for me. The case pushes off the phone super easy… at least on the pro 6.1 it is far from a tight fit. MagSafe strength is mediocre also. Just my 2 cents
Joe, over here raining on my Symmetry parade :rolleyes:

Lighter iPhone

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
@TechnicallyTee , I have the Enzo Aramid for my 15 Pro Max, but I find it to be kind of bulky and hard to get a good grip unless I attach a MagSafe grip. I’ve seen in your livestreams that you are currently rocking the the Enzo, what is it about that case that you prefer to similar but lighter case like the Pitaka MagEZ Pro that weighs about 10g less?

JBlass421

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2019
Black Action Button Sheaths arrived. One paired with Black Ti iPhone and other paired with Blue Ti iPhone. No MagSafe indentation on this one and buttons are super clicky! Absolutely love them! Celestial Blue and Gray Sheaths arriving next week.

Celestial Blue action button Synthesis arrived as well. Not sure what people are complaining about with the action button being mushy, it is just fine to me. The Sheath does feel a little better though but Synthesis is definitely clicky as well imo.

Very happy with all the cases but I do have to say this year I’m actually leaning more on the Sheath with its slightly more clicky buttons and the felt interior makes it feel more premium and its slightly slimmer profile compared to Synthesis. Last year I was pro Synthesis. Both amazing cases nonetheless!

IMG_4614.jpeg

IMG_9516.jpeg

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
Black Action Button Sheaths arrived. One paired with Black Ti iPhone and other paired with Blue Ti iPhone. No MagSafe indentation on this one and buttons are super clicky! Absolutely love them! Celestial Blue and Gray Sheaths arriving next week.

Celestial Blue action button Synthesis arrived as well. Not sure what people are complaining about with the action button being mushy, it is just fine to me. The Sheath does feel a little better though but Synthesis is definitely clicky as well imo.

Very happy with all the cases but I do have to say this year I’m actually leaning more on the Sheath with its slightly more clicky buttons and the felt interior makes it feel more premium and its slightly slimmer profile compared to Synthesis. Last year I was pro Synthesis. Both amazing cases nonetheless!

View attachment 2295577

View attachment 2295576
I think it sounds like I got an ‘unlucky bad’ Synthesis - multiple people have said their button’s good so I’ve emailed Caudabe.

Reactions: JBlass421

Pug72

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2012
England
Just tried my Sheath again and not liking the fit. Can see the edge of the action button through the slit and those slits on all the buttons are big. The speaker/mic holes aren't centre of the cut outs and can see the back edge of the titanium band through the USB-C cut out. Might just be mine but not joining the Caudabe love-in this year.

Reactions: Hooterville

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Just tried my Sheath again and not liking the fit. Can see the edge of the action button through the slit and those slits on all the buttons are big. The speaker/mic holes aren't centre of the cut outs and can see the back edge of the titanium band through the USB-C cut out. Might just be mine but not joining the Caudabe love-in this year.

You got a dud. Ask for a replacement.

I’ve got 3 Sheaths (well, 6 since 3 are the open action button and 3 are the covered button) and none of them have any of those issues.

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
Time for a little self reflection…. How many cases do you guys own for your 15 series so far?? lol I’ll go first, I have 8 with 2 more ordered on the way! LOL

Edit: 2 of the 8 are Caudabe “freebies” because of the cut out situation

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Time for a little self reflection…. How many cases do you guys own for your 15 series so far?? lol I’ll go first, I have 8 with 2 more ordered on the way! LOL

Same here, have 8 with none on the way :( Only other ones on my radar are the Gen 5 Frosted and a Speck case.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal

i have 4 and 1 on the way (bullstrap dune). tried 3 others and returned. considering canceling the bullstrap.

Reactions: Joe123Joe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.