Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

nanohits

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
I might have to take the plunge and get the gray one for my blue ti 15 pro max.
I was also eyeing it till I saw the weight, heck 46 grams with a PM will be far too heavy. I decided to go with the Apple Silicon case and I tried it at a friends and it feels so good in the hands. Plus no ugly Magsafe magnets sticking out like the clear cases

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Anyone have a picture of the lip protection on a Caudabe Sheath and/or a Nomad with a screen protector? Thats really my main holdup with these cases. I like to have some lip. Thank you. 🙏

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
@TechnicallyTee Where did you see that? Of all the pages I’ve read the Decoded brand seemed like a safe bet, so I ordered off the back of that-hadn’t seen any comments about scratching. Wondering whether I’ve made a mistake now!

As it turns out, it’s one week on from ordering and I’ve not heard anything g anyway, so maybe not too late to cancel if that’s bad… Could you point me towards any images you may have seen?
Let me see if I still have mine for the 14 Pro Max. I know someone stated not being rough with your phone, I’m the most careful and I barely drop my device and I’ve noticed some wear marks around the camera starting to happen only after a short time using the case. I doubt k have any pictures to show but it’s a great case, fit, buttons and all.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Warning - long post incoming!

I have a 15PM Natty. Been following this thread since launch and bought a lot of cases! I ended up with:

Moft MOVAS Snap Misty Cove (https://www.moft.us/products/iphone-leather-case-magsafe-compatible?variant=40245032681559). Dress/Formal. Too white/bright to use as a daily, but wooooow it is a gorgeous case in real life. Great fit and feel too. There is one flaw, and that's the symmetrical speaker cutouts at the bottom. Doesn't bother me personally, but it should be pointed out.

Nomad Modern Horween Leather Rustic Brown (https://nomadgoods.com/products/modern-leather-case-horween-rustic-brown-iphone-15-pro-max). At the office/after work nights out. Perfect case in every way. Not a single flaw I can think of.

Caudabe Synthesis Celestial Blue with Button Cover (https://caudabe.com/products/synthe...?variant=40984151326817#product-sibling-links) All purpose/everyday/weekends (the no-button cover first run was a disaster with the magnets falling out, but the button cover version is great. Feels like a tank with the tight fit, and has a nice slim profile). I can probably swap this out with a Sheath if I wanted to. Both are great cases.

I've already tried and returned (my opinions only):

Caseology Nano Pop Mag - A really nice case in every way, as good as or better than any Spigen case. Great fit and loved the sandpaper type grip on the sides. Slim profile too. Except there was a permanent magsafe ring impint that was left on the case after a charging for a week.

ESR Magsafe Silicone Case with camera kickstand - Too slippery and left a lot of lint, fingerprints and smudges. Overall the case looked like a big dark slippery TPU blob on the phone. No style at all. Thick fat wide profile. Not premium looking or feeling. I should have been impressed, but laughed instead when I saw the microfiber lined interior (can you tell I hated this case)? Nice camera ring stand though.

Apple Silicone - Too slippery/goofy feeling in the hand for me. Better than ESR though because it was a lot better resisting fingerprints and smudges, and had a slimmer profile. The grey one was super nice but Caudabe beat it out.

Tech21 Evo Check - I really really wanted to keep this case because it is perfect in every way, except for the icky super slippery fingerprint prone back. Otherwise a great case that felt like you could safely bounce the phone in the case like a basketball (don't try this at home). It felt really protective, and overall the hand feel was sublime. You could also exchange the buttons like the symmetry with differenty colored buttons. Plus it had dual lanyard holes like the Nomad. Almost perfect except for that damned slippery back.

Zagg Everest Snap - Also another almost winner. Bulky in a nice, protective way. It reminded me of the old OB Commuter/Defender cases. Felt like it could handle a lot of abuse. Great non-slippery, no fingerprint texture on the case. Nice clicky buttons. And the kickstand was a major plus. The Magsafe ring was waaaaay too weak, though. Disappointed with how bad the magsafe was. f it wasn't for the ****** Magsafe I would have kept this over the Synthesis as an everyday case.

Mujjo Shield Case - The first runs had a defect where the Magsafe didn't work. Shame because it was a great case, leather was nice and it felt really protective without being too bulky (it was a little too heavy for my liking). Nomad Modern Leather ended up being a much nicer case overall imo.

I also have an Apple Finewoven Taupe. I'm past my return period but I'm hoping to exchange it for a gift card at the Apple Store. If they won't take it back I'll probbaly try and sell it. The Nomad and the Moft as a pair is more than enough to use instead. Not knocking FW at all, it's the lightest, thinnest, nicest feeling case of all the ones I've tried. I just don't think it will hold up well on rainy/snowy or busy, active days, going out to eat etc. As a casual everyday case with not a lot going on in your day, it is a great case.

Aaaand I'm done. Just want to thank everyone for posting on this thread! Everyone has been extrtemely helpful and it's been a a lot of fun following it (and I will continue to do so!). Cheers!
I just got the Caseology Nano Pop Mag but I’ve not opened the box and tried it yet. The case looks really nice but if what you say is true that the MagSafe chargers leave a permanent ring then it’s probably a no go and I’ll have to return it. If the mark can be wiped of I would be okay with that. 🤔

Reactions: swerve147

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
the frame around the camera ring is metal. just don’t place your phone down and slide it all around. i had a case last year and it didn’t scratch. i am slightly an@l and am always careful where i place my phone down and try not to slide it back and forth, so maybe that’s why. i wouldn’t worry about it. it’s not going to scratch your phone, the case just might look bad if you’re not careful. that’s my 2 cents.
@darrinS Thank you for that. I’m that way too-however, the more careful and preventative I seem to be, the more prone I seem to become to having accidents! I’d happily have a clear Apple case, but after the damage it did to my 14PM, a leather soft lined is the only option for me: but equally, I don’t want to drop a lot of money on a case if it’s going to look beat up in a few months: like the Apple leather cases do.

I’m glad I’ve read this thread, but equally, wish I hadn’t haha!

@TechnicallyTee, no need to worry about photos if you haven’t got any-don’t go out of your way for me!

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I just got the Caseology Nano Pop Mag but I’ve not opened the box and tried it yet. The case looks really nice but if what you say is true that the MagSafe chargers leave a permanent ring then it’s probably a no go and I’ll have to return it. If the mark can be wiped of I would be okay with that.

It’s true unfortunately. It was my “starter case”. Loved it 100% and was planning to keep it but after the first week there was a faint MagSafe imprint on the back I couldn’t wipe off. I tried everything to wipe it off with no luck.

The only thing I can think of, that may have inadvertently caused it was the fact that my phone was excessively hot the first couple of days, a couldn’t even touch it level of hot. And I had the phone on MagSafe the entire time. That might have contributed to the ring imprint burning in?

If you get it from a place like Amazon with a really good return policy it may be worth giving it a test run to see if works out for you.

Reactions: VSMacOne and Mr.C

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
IMG_5580.png

It’s true unfortunately. It was my “starter case”. Loved it 100% and was planning to keep it but after the first week there was a faint MagSafe imprint on the back I couldn’t wipe off. I tried everything to wipe it off with no luck.

The only thing I can think of, that may have inadvertently caused it was the fact that my phone was excessively hot the first couple of days, a couldn’t even touch it level of hot. And I had the phone on MagSafe the entire time. That might have contributed to the ring imprint burning in?

If you get it from a place like Amazon with a really good return policy it may be worth giving it a test run to see if works out for you.
It looks like on their website they do mention that this may happen. I did get it from Amazon so it’s easily returned although I don’t know if I want to bother going through the hassle. It’s easier just to return it unopened.

Reactions: swerve147

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
@darrinS Thank you for that. I’m that way too-however, the more careful and preventative I seem to be, the more prone I seem to become to having accidents! I’d happily have a clear Apple case, but after the damage it did to my 14PM, a leather soft lined is the only option for me: but equally, I don’t want to drop a lot of money on a case if it’s going to look beat up in a few months: like the Apple leather cases do.

I’m glad I’ve read this thread, but equally, wish I hadn’t haha!

@TechnicallyTee, no need to worry about photos if you haven’t got any-don’t go out of your way for me!
Yeah i was looking at this thread and saw the same thing about the Decoded leather case so it made thing again about buying one. I was going to buy the navy blue pro max leather case but it is sold out anyways.

UnjustifiedBot

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
USA
All BS aside Phone Rebel Gen 5 is a fantastic case. The fit is tight, super duper grip, perfect clicky buttons, rough texture aramid fiber on the back, feels great in the hand, real strong MagSafe magnets and IMO just looks great. The metal buttons and Rebel logo do need some kind of protective backing and the USB-C opening is kind of small.

How’s the back grip compared to the sheath?

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Are buttons with air slits a big deal?

I'm trying out the Gripzilla. I like most things about it. May just keep it and the OB Symmetry.

Do the Sheath and Synthesis have buttons w/ air slits also? One of those would be my last case to try out.

Reactions: SweetLou122

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
The back grip is good. The aramid fiber they used has a real rough texture to it. The coarsest aramid fiber I've felt in any case so far. Sheath maybe a little grippier.
The phone rebel does show smudges / fingerprints, correct? I assume so since it's the aramid fiber.

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
So, apparently I've been living under a rock. I realized case companies (Totallee, Bare, Peel, Torras, Pitaka, Elago, + many more) buy $1-$10 cases from China and basically slap their logo/name on cases and sell them for a ridiculous amount of money. I ordered this MagSafe carbon fiber case from AliExpress for $10 and the quality and feel matches Pitaka's. They have lots of fun/interesting designs. Even the same exact ones Pitaka sell. Went on Amazon and 90% of cases sold there are the same ones that go for $1-$5. Only at a 1500% markup. Needless to say, I'll only be purchasing cases from AliExpress moving forward.
IMG_0084.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpeg
    IMG_0080.jpeg
    712.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
    551.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    680.4 KB · Views: 130

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
So, apparently I've been living under a rock. I realized case companies (Totallee, Bare, Peel, Torras, Pitaka, Elago, + many more) buy $1-$10 cases from China and basically slap their logo/name on cases and sell them for a ridiculous amount of money. I ordered this MagSafe carbon fiber case from AliExpress for $10 and the quality and feel matches Pitaka's. They have lots of fun/interesting designs. Even the same exact ones Pitaka sell. Went on Amazon and 90% of cases sold there are the same ones that go for $1-$5. Only at a 1500% markup. Needless to say, I'll only be purchasing cases from AliExpress moving forward. View attachment 2296008
My understanding is that the situation is exactly the opposite of what you’re describing. The brand name companies develop these designs, then because intellectual property laws are virtually nonexistent in China, the manufacturers steal the designs and sell counterfeits on AliExpress. I’ve seen this in electronics for many years, where it is a huge problem.

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
My understanding is that the situation is exactly the opposite of what you’re describing. The brand name companies develop these designs, then because intellectual property laws are virtually nonexistent in China, the manufacturers steal the designs and sell counterfeits on AliExpress. I’ve seen this in electronics for many years, where it is a huge problem.
Yikes! From what I read online, it seemed like it was the other way around. But what you said makes a lot of sense. Thank you for that info. I stand corrected

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.