Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Sal09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
In correct packaging.

2e32b2e6f8f647e55ed5091f33f2aa6d.jpg

Teach8870

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2016
Forgot I even ordered this case lol...the Otterbox Lumen in gray I ordered from Apple showed up today. What an outstanding color and matches the natty titanium perfectly. Tactile buttons are amazing too. Not bulky, the perfect amount of protection I like in a case that's not too thin.

Magsafe strength is next level

swpP0BK.jpg

h6XIdwn.jpg

40yuE6y.jpg

LqCbxtw.jpg
How’s the front?

Teach8870

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2016
So, apparently I've been living under a rock. I realized case companies (Totallee, Bare, Peel, Torras, Pitaka, Elago, + many more) buy $1-$10 cases from China and basically slap their logo/name on cases and sell them for a ridiculous amount of money. I ordered this MagSafe carbon fiber case from AliExpress for $10 and the quality and feel matches Pitaka's. They have lots of fun/interesting designs. Even the same exact ones Pitaka sell. Went on Amazon and 90% of cases sold there are the same ones that go for $1-$5. Only at a 1500% markup. Needless to say, I'll only be purchasing cases from AliExpress moving forward. View attachment 2296008
Would you share a link?

Reactions: VaderRulez

MrGrim999

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
Didnt feel right especially the power button. The button were thin compared to this one. Screen coverage wasn’t good either. I could see Titanium frame on the sides.
This is why I’m super skeptical buying premium cases from Amazon. Even if the seller is legit you have too many scumbags purchasing , pulling the switcheroo, and returning. I’m sure all those returns don’t get checked that closely all the time .

daindian1

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2023
My understanding is that the situation is exactly the opposite of what you’re describing. The brand name companies develop these designs, then because intellectual property laws are virtually nonexistent in China, the manufacturers steal the designs and sell counterfeits on AliExpress. I’ve seen this in electronics for many years, where it is a huge problem.
My understanding is the same as what the other guy has described, for things such as phone cases and for electronics it’s what you’ve stated. For phone cases and leather goods it pretty simple. The brands aren’t gonna be creating a a special design as they look the same. They have their own supplier in china which is more than likely ymw. who then also also sell the same cases without the branding privately. There is no other reason why something such as the Ander and bullstrap and the AliExpress version from ymw look so similar every year and have the same quality.

Reactions: KentuckyHouse

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Ringke Fusion Matte Clear - picked this up for the times I want to go naked and I’m really impressed considering it was only £10. Very Slim, protective, barely looks like I’ve got anything on the phone.

Love the cleanness of it; ordered a MagSafe one too but I think I may just stick with this.

IMG_0013.jpeg
IMG_0014.jpeg

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Ringke Fusion Matte Clear - picked this up for the times I want to go naked and I’m really impressed considering it was only £10. Very Slim, protective, barely looks like I’ve got anything on the phone.

Love the cleanness of it; ordered a MagSafe one too but I think I may just stick with this.

View attachment 2296138 View attachment 2296139
Just cancelled the MagSafe one.

My MagSafe car mount feels strong enough to hold the phone through the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.